Thread: 5.7 Online cheating allegations, real and imagined

Blog Entries

Default 5.7 Online cheating allegations, real and imagined

This is a discussion with regard to online play and the annoyingly prevalent examples of online cheating and seemingly equally prevalent allegations of online cheating in the absence of hard evidence.

The Standard of Proof in over the board chess and in online chess is not the same. Cheating online often have no influence on a player over the board cheating record. Unfortunately, some online claims of cheating are wrong to such an extent that there would have been a punishment for frivolous claim if it had originated from a person instead of a machine.

In my opinion, it is still better to leave the final decision to a group of competent humans.

Blog Entries

I think this might become a bigger problem with the idea of a unified online, FIDE and Federation ID.

We have an online committee looking at this. Hopefully they will give us some workable recommendations. I find this situation quite frustrating.

Another important question : will rated online chess popularity survive the end of the pandemic?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Another important question : will rated online chess popularity survive the end of the pandemic?
    I think it should continue if we can get a handle on cheating. I think there might be a future in hybrid events for those who can't travel easily.

Blog Entries

This thread was not as fully developed as I might have liked. We can continue the discussion on the CFC forums.