Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6. New Business

Default 6. New Business

Members initiating discussions PLEASE include a title for your discussion. As needed, discussions on new items may be moved to their own section under section 6 "New Business"

Default Mermbership Director

At our golf club, we've been debating on how to increase our membership. One of the suggestions is to create a "Membership Director" position who would be charged with increasing membership. The CFC may benefit from having a full time Membership Director. I don't know if we have everyone's e-mail from past years, but at our golf club, one of the suggestions is to contact previous members and to encourage them to rejoin while listing a list of benefits to join the CFC. The person could liaise with provincial organizations to get more ideas on how to increase membership. I'm sure ideas would develop as the portfolio advances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    At our golf club, we've been debating on how to increase our membership. One of the suggestions is to create a "Membership Director" position who would be charged with increasing membership. The CFC may benefit from having a full time Membership Director. I don't know if we have everyone's e-mail from past years, but at our golf club, one of the suggestions is to contact previous members and to encourage them to rejoin while listing a list of benefits to join the CFC. The person could liaise with provincial organizations to get more ideas on how to increase membership. I'm sure ideas would develop as the portfolio advances.
    I was involved in the effort by Kevin Pacey to contact previous members as part of a membership drive. This was prior to email laws which made such contacts more difficult. I got some very nasty replies and some nice replies but not very many memberships resulted. We emailed everyone individually. We really can't afford to add to our staff at this point and with our revenues where they are. Bob Gillanders should be able to provide a financial report before the end of the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I was involved in the effort by Kevin Pacey to contact previous members as part of a membership drive. This was prior to email laws which made such contacts more difficult. I got some very nasty replies and some nice replies but not very many memberships resulted. We emailed everyone individually. We really can't afford to add to our staff at this point and with our revenues where they are. Bob Gillanders should be able to provide a financial report before the end of the meeting.
    While I agree with Vlad's points one thing that might be of interest would be an online "exit interview" that another non-profit organization I belong to uses. Obviously it's voluntary but I've heard it's useful to them and if the Exec is interested I could make it available to them - it's a SurveyMonkey template that might not tell us much (or might tell us a great deal!) but the price is $ 0.00 so might be worth a look.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    While I agree with Vlad's points one thing that might be of interest would be an online "exit interview" that another non-profit organization I belong to uses. Obviously it's voluntary but I've heard it's useful to them and if the Exec is interested I could make it available to them - it's a SurveyMonkey template that might not tell us much (or might tell us a great deal!) but the price is $ 0.00 so might be worth a look.
    I would be interested in this.

Default Vega pairing software

The author made a nice job by integrating the import from both the CFC and FQÉ rating list.

VegaChess.jpg

The next step is to add support for the export. The software already produces the FIDE export. I would like to have the format of the CFC export file that must be submitted for rating. I can send it to the author without using any CFC resources. Vega can produce a Generic Tounament Description File, but recognizing this format would require modification to the CFC rating server. It is much easier to give the expected format of the CFC rating report. The format description must be complete with a description of the no-show forfeit, half-point byes and PAB.

Vega was neglected in Quebec because it did not support ChessResults. It still doesn't, but now offers Vega Results, which is very nice https://www.vegaresult.com/vega-trn/...age=crosstable .

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Vega was neglected in Quebec because it did not support ChessResults.
    Pierre is being too humble here. It was due to his and Danny Goldenberg's heroic efforts in harnessing Vega's power and transferring all tournament data overnight that the 2014 Canadian Open was saved after a massive exodus of non-fee-paying juniors resulted in so many forfeits in Round 1 that a then-recent version of Swiss Manager wasn't able to make legal pairings.

Vega remains fully endorsed by FIDE (for Dubov Swiss with its internal engine and for Dutch Swiss with JaVaFo).

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Pierre is being too humble here. It was due to his and Danny Goldenberg's heroic efforts in harnessing Vega's power and transferring all tournament data overnight that the 2014 Canadian Open was saved after a massive exodus of non-fee-paying juniors resulted in so many forfeits in Round 1 that a then-recent version of Swiss Manager wasn't able to make legal pairings.

Vega remains fully endorsed by FIDE (for Dubov Swiss with its internal engine and for Dutch Swiss with JaVaFo).
    This is not exactly as I remember it. The primary problem was that a Sector Arbiter did operate his computer without an antivirus software. A virus got into his computer and wiped his two sections. There were multiple backups on USB keys and external hard drives, but any peripheral that has been connected to the infected computer became infected. Despite the huge number of backup copies available, none were free of corruption. Danny and I had to recreate manually the two missing sections, registering all players as if it was the first round and we then have the enter the results of all the previous rounds. We both work hard during the night to ensure the continuity of the tournament. I couldn't have made it without Danny who earned an IA norm the hard way.

Default FIDE Athletes Commission

Does Canada has any candidate for this Commission ?

Requirements: Every candidate for election to the Athletes’ Commission must be at least 18 years old, be endorsed by their National Federation, and he/she must have competed in at least one of the last three FIDE World Championship Cycles, open or Women’s (World Cup, Grand Prix Series, Candidates Tournament), or have qualified for the next cycle.

Candidates should also have a reasonable command of English and not have been sanctioned by the FIDE Ethics and Disciplinary Commission in the past 5 years.

Authorized voters: The electorate will be composed of all holders of GM/WGM titles, as well as any players who have competed in at least one of the last three FIDE World Championship Cycles, (open or Women’s), or have qualified for the next cycle.

https://www.fide.com/news/850

CFC Sesquicentennial Stamp: I gather it has been suggested to the executive that the CFC submit a proposal for a stamp to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the CFC which is coming up in 2022 - is this projection going forward?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast