Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6. New Business

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wright View Post
    CFC Sesquicentennial Stamp: I gather it has been suggested to the executive that the CFC submit a proposal for a stamp to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the CFC which is coming up in 2022 - is this projection going forward?
    I think Lyle was the one pushing this at the Executive level. I think we may be a bit late to the game as these things have to be done two years in advance.

While I forwarded it on the the Executive emphasizing that Canada Post wants two years lead time for "anniversary stamps" I've not heard any pickup.

I did indicate that given it's 2-3 weeks before Christmas with my workload I didn't really have time before Christmas myself (I have a store which is exceptionally busy at this time of year) and since Canada Post wants lots of room for the stamp value and usual Canada Post stuff an L shaped image would work best. I suggested a picture of Yanofsky doing a simul or something like that rather than a logo few outside the chess community would recognize. This would have the advantage that Yanofsky is a well remembered name in Winnipeg due to his 30 years in municipal politics there. (I would think at least as many Winnipeggers know him for that than his chess)

I just looked at the Canada Post website - https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/...ralinformation

Vlad's correct, the closing date for 2022 stamp submissions was this past Summer. However, it seems to me that a submission should still be made identifying that it's the CFC's 150th anniversary (which I didn't realize). Worse case scenario (which is likely), they'll ignore the application for 2022 however in the submission, we could ask that if it's not accepted for 2022, that a "Chess Stamp" be created for 2022 and we could request a 160th anniversary stamp later. It seems to me that we should take advantage of all free promotion, especially when, as it was noted before, interest in chess is at a high. I like the idea of Yanofsky playing a simul however I'm not sure that stamps are big enough to really show small squares on the chess boards (or the pieces for that matter). It may well be that we're stuck with the picture of a Knight or a Knight and a Pawn or Knight and King with CFC on it, or perhaps the CFC logo or something like that. Bottom line, I think we should make the submission. It looks like they only require the idea and a small writeup and they do the setup.

The following website says that the Canadian Chess Association was formed on September 24, 1872 (I'm assuming this is the predecessor to the CFC ?) which would make our 150th anniversary on September 24, 2022 (which would give us until this summer to put in an application for a stamp to Canada Post. It also says that 2021 is the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association.

Here's the website - http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...ssHistory.html

Sorry, the 2 years was this past summer as previously noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    Sorry, the 2 years was this past summer as previously noted.
    If the 150th anniversary is on September 24, 2022, I would consider the anniversary year is from September 24, 2022 to September 23, 2023. The anniversary stamp does not need to be released on the day of the anniversary, and likely Canada Post may not accommodate such a specific day of release. If we can accept the stamp to be released on or before September 23, 2023, we still have enough time to apply for it to release in 2013.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12