Thread: 5.4 Discussion Items - CFC Handbook

Threaded View

FYI, the latest CFC Handbook(s) are here: www.chess.ca/en/cfc/rules

I have split the old web page into two documents: one doc for the 2014 NFP updates and one for the pre-2014 legacy handbook. As the revising proceeds, I suggest keeping separate documents for the "legal" (requires a formal legal process for change) and the "non-legal" (requires a much less formal process for changes). This will allow relatively minor policy & practice changes without the inertia of formal legal approval and so more likely to keep the new handbooks up to date.

Why Google Docs? Some things, I believe, are better off in a document than stuck in an HTML web page (like it was on the old website). Having the docs "in the cloud" means viewers and editors share a single copy instead of the hell of having many copies attached to many emails that need to be tracked (where's the latest?) and merged (2+ editors made changes to different copies). The CFC already has a (free for non-profits) instance of Google Workspace (formerly called GSuite) which it uses for email (for ~10 years) and spreadsheets (more recently). So, it made sense to add the Handbook docs to the CFC's existing service (a CFC-controlled central place for content like this).

Edit authorization can be given to anyone identified to revise the Handbook. If it helps get the process rolling, I volunteer to be the editor (do the typing & wordsmithing) if others are identified to work with me to provide the raw content for Olympiad Selection, Youth, and/or Ratio topics.
    Last edited by Don Parakin; 12-13-2020 at 01:46 PM.