Thread: 5.4 Discussion Items - CFC Handbook

Default 5.4 Discussion Items - CFC Handbook

Historically the CFC Handbook has been revised once per decade. The 2014 Federal Not for Profit Act has changed the rules for Federally Charter Non-Profit Organizations like the CFC and our Handbook (which is usually our collection of our Constitution with consolidated amendments, and other important documents and regulations) is overdue for revision

Blog Entries

I think for the next meeting we should codify the Olympiad Team selection process, the youth program, the ratio of voting members to regular members. Any ideas on how to get this process rolling?

FYI, the latest CFC Handbook(s) are here: www.chess.ca/en/cfc/rules

I have split the old web page into two documents: one doc for the 2014 NFP updates and one for the pre-2014 legacy handbook. As the revising proceeds, I suggest keeping separate documents for the "legal" (requires a formal legal process for change) and the "non-legal" (requires a much less formal process for changes). This will allow relatively minor policy & practice changes without the inertia of formal legal approval and so more likely to keep the new handbooks up to date.

Why Google Docs? Some things, I believe, are better off in a document than stuck in an HTML web page (like it was on the old website). Having the docs "in the cloud" means viewers and editors share a single copy instead of the hell of having many copies attached to many emails that need to be tracked (where's the latest?) and merged (2+ editors made changes to different copies). The CFC already has a (free for non-profits) instance of Google Workspace (formerly called GSuite) which it uses for email (for ~10 years) and spreadsheets (more recently). So, it made sense to add the Handbook docs to the CFC's existing service (a CFC-controlled central place for content like this).

Edit authorization can be given to anyone identified to revise the Handbook. If it helps get the process rolling, I volunteer to be the editor (do the typing & wordsmithing) if others are identified to work with me to provide the raw content for Olympiad Selection, Youth, and/or Ratio topics.
    Last edited by Don Parakin; 12-13-2020 at 01:46 PM.

If I remember correctly, Vlad and others were involved in registering the CFC under the new Federal legislation when it came about. They did this to ensure that the CFC would not lose its non-profit status as there was a deadline to register under the new Act.

I may consider assisting on this.

I've been involved with provincial non-profit legislation however I'm unfamiliar with federal legislation in this area. Vlad, I recall a couple of years ago that you pointed out that a revamping of the CFC bylaws cannot include anything which would be contrary to the Act because of the risk of having the CFC declassified as a non-profit by Revenue Canada (makes sense). I understand that the CFC Bylaws are essentially the Act itself with the insertion of the CFC's specific operating parameters.

Can you give us an idea of: 1) What work needs to be done; 2) What materials will need to be referenced and whether they are readily available online or if someone has them, whether they're easily accessible; 3) With your familiarity on the subject, I'm assuming you'd (or someone in the initial group) would either be part of this or readily available as a resource person(s) ?; 4) I'm thinking if we had Don plus two or three others (to ensure that all ideas are properly flushed out) to do the work. I'm thinking that each of us initially get all the materials, read through them, and have an online meeting to discuss who does what. Vlad, does this make sense to you or do would you suggest a different avenue ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    If I remember correctly, Vlad and others were involved in registering the CFC under the new Federal legislation when it came about. They did this to ensure that the CFC would not lose its non-profit status as there was a deadline to register under the new Act.
    Actually, at the time, the expectation was that if we failed to meet the deadline, we would have ceased to exist and the assets would have had to be disbursed to various charities.

I may consider assisting on this.

I've been involved with provincial non-profit legislation however I'm unfamiliar with federal legislation in this area. Vlad, I recall a couple of years ago that you pointed out that a revamping of the CFC bylaws cannot include anything which would be contrary to the Act because of the risk of having the CFC declassified as a non-profit by Revenue Canada (makes sense). I understand that the CFC Bylaws are essentially the Act itself with the insertion of the CFC's specific operating parameters.

Can you give us an idea of: 1) What work needs to be done; 2) What materials will need to be referenced and whether they are readily available online or if someone has them, whether they're easily accessible; 3) With your familiarity on the subject, I'm assuming you'd (or someone in the initial group) would either be part of this or readily available as a resource person(s) ?; 4) I'm thinking if we had Don plus two or three others (to ensure that all ideas are properly flushed out) to do the work. I'm thinking that each of us initially get all the materials, read through them, and have an online meeting to discuss who does what. Vlad, does this make sense to you or do would you suggest a different avenue ?
    I think the most important rules would be to codify the ratio of voting members to regular members and the fractional ratio for youth members.

Codifying the youth regulations and olympiad regulations should be relatively straightforward.

Thanks Vlad, I'm going to bow out then, I'm thinking we need someone who's more familiar with the materials and as such, more familiar with what needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    Thanks Vlad, I'm going to bow out then, I'm thinking we need someone who's more familiar with the materials and as such, more familiar with what needs to be done.
    Oh, please not that quick.
    I think the most important rules would be to codify the ratio of voting members to regular members and the fractional ratio for youth members.
    At this moment Voting members are selected by a 1:50 rule (irc), it is not written anywhere. Something like a granted promise. To my understanding changing By-Laws is an expensive procedure, maybe it possible just to have a Executive directive (or something names differently).
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    To my understanding changing By-Laws is an expensive procedure, maybe it possible just to have a Executive directive (or something names differently).
    Changing the By-Laws cost nothing, changing the Article of Incorporation is what cost money. Industry Canada files our By-Laws, but does not validate them. On the contrary, the Articles of Incorporation must be read by a Federal employee and approved. In case of conflict between the two documents, the Articles of Incorporation shall prevail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Oh, please not that quick.

At this moment Voting members are selected by a 1:50 rule (irc), it is not written anywhere. Something like a granted promise. To my understanding changing By-Laws is an expensive procedure, maybe it possible just to have a Executive directive (or something names differently).
    I believe it is written in the old handbook. We can pass an executive policy and list it in the new handbook and have it ratified by the voting members at the first opportunity. I believe that the way forward is to move what is salvageable of the old handbook into a policy framework which should be accepted by the voting members. We don't need to do everything at once but we do need to get started. We are still using the old handbook but the rules are murky until we write it down again and renew our commitment to those policies.

I will be talking more about the path forward in the relevant sections of this meeting as the meeting proceeds.

It was definitely spelled out that way in detail in the old Handbook and I should look at what changes need to be made to update it. I would expect it to be name changes only since each year (asap after April 30th) when I publish the spreadsheet that shows the calculations for each coming year it's fairly plain. I have not yet looked for this year's spreadsheet on the new website but the most recent version of the spreadsheet is attached.

click here ---> (2020VMCalculation.pdf)