Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5.2 - Discussion Items - National Events

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    With a longer time control, more chances that some players will need to leave a room for one or other reason.
    Yes, we'll need to settle on something that everyone is comfortable with. I understand the allure of the idea of hybrid, but in my judgement, if the pandemic is bad enough that we can't have OTB, then it's bad enough that we can't have hybrid. I'm mentioning this so that we can start preparing ourselves mentally for online.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Yes, we'll need to settle on something that everyone is comfortable with. I understand the allure of the idea of hybrid, but in my judgement, if the pandemic is bad enough that we can't have OTB, then it's bad enough that we can't have hybrid. I'm mentioning this so that we can start preparing ourselves mentally for online.
    In a red zone, you are right. But, at least in Quebec, a zone could be orange or yellow which could allow a limited number of persons on a single site. As long as it is as red as it is now, all in person competitions are suspended https://fqechecs.qc.ca/.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Thank you Vadim! The Women's Coordinator is very glad to know that. That will give us more time to select our second player.
    I mentioned these knockout events in my report as well. We need to know the deadline for our Zonal Representatives. Vadim, should I contact Emil or do you know?

Blog Entries

We really need for an effective vaccination program to be widely disseminated before we can talk about an in-person event.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    We need to know the deadline for our Zonal Representatives. Vadim, should I contact Emil or do you know?
    The official decision hasn't been taken yet, the matter is supposed to be discussed by the FIDE Council before year end.

A *strictly unofficial, ballpark* date that can still change both ways is May 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We really need for an effective vaccination program to be widely disseminated before we can talk about an in-person event.
    I agree.

In addition, I cringe to mention this, but it seems we should also think about another scenario, where anti-vax-ness lands us in a situation where, ironically, while many people are vaccinated, many others are still getting diseased. In that scenario, we might be organizing OTB events with some kind of vaccine "passports".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I agree.

In addition, I cringe to mention this, but it seems we should also think about another scenario, where anti-vax-ness lands us in a situation where, ironically, while many people are vaccinated, many others are still getting diseased. In that scenario, we might be organizing OTB events with some kind of vaccine "passports".
    There is a surprising amount of anti-vax sentiment. I am getting my vaccination as soon as I can. I volunteer to be a guinea pig. It may be useless due to a future mutation of COVID but at least it will prevent transmission of the currently prevalent strain. We really need to get back to normal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234