Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.1 - Discussion Items - COVID and Chess

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Does the CFC has the ability to use tornelo free of charge?
    We have been using tornelo free of charge though I am not versed in who tornelo is aside from the fact that it was the platform used for a few of the recent FIDE tournaments.

So far we have seen tournaments on chess.com, chesskid.com, playchess.com, tornelo and lichess. Tornelo generated the fewest complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We have been using tornelo free of charge though I am not versed in who tornelo is aside from the fact that it was the platform used for a few of the recent FIDE tournaments.

So far we have seen tournaments on chess.com, chesskid.com, playchess.com, tornelo and lichess. Tornelo generated the fewest complaints.
    I reached out to Tornelo during this meeting, lemme know if you want something.

If a Zonal ever need to be organized online, using a platform approved by FIDE would be a big plus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    If the CFC is interested in Tornelo, I can connect, get info, etc. Lemme know what we're looking for.

And/or identify a CFC prime to continue such a conversation.
    We are interested in Tornelo. We are also interested in FIDE's efforts to stem online cheating and procedures for evaluating allegations of cheating. I know that FIDE is working on this. People need to know that there is no opportunity to rig the system before we can really embrace online CFC play.

We are interested in Tornelo. We are also interested in FIDE's efforts to stem online cheating and procedures for evaluating allegations of cheating. I know that FIDE is working on this. People need to know that there is no opportunity to rig the system before we can really embrace online CFC play.
    So my observations while working online across much of the Western hemisphere is that different jurisdictions are deriving different Fair Play approaches. I was asked about that recently at ChessTech2020, and I tried to make the point that ANY of these approaches could be improved if that group took advantage of the strengths of their competitors' approaches. No one seemed to really bite on that point. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there is no "best" anti-cheating platform, that each one has relative strengths vs. others'. The other thing is, the longer the time control, then the vastly more challenging anti-cheating becomes.

Unless there's appetite for REALLY heavy-duty anti-cheating for online chess, I regrettably don't know whether we can ever reasonably guarantee Fair Play online.

Blog Entries

So my observations while working online across much of the Western hemisphere is that different jurisdictions are deriving different Fair Play approaches. I was asked about that recently at ChessTech2020, and I tried to make the point that ANY of these approaches could be improved if that group took advantage of the strengths of their competitors' approaches. No one seemed to really bite on that point. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there is no "best" anti-cheating platform, that each one has relative strengths vs. others'. The other thing is, the longer the time control, then the vastly more challenging anti-cheating becomes.

Unless there's appetite for REALLY heavy-duty anti-cheating for online chess, I regrettably don't know whether we can ever reasonably guarantee Fair Play online.
    I think most cheating will be caught after the fact using AI but I think the current methods and practices leave something to be desired. There are false positives whether the online platforms wish to admit it or not.

GM Gilles Mirallès, Technical Director of the Francophone Chess Association, has the same opinion about Fair Play online. To prove his point, during a Board meeting on zoom, he made his telephone appears in the field of the camera, proving how easy it would be to conceal it during a tournament.

I think most cheating will be caught after the fact using AI but I think the current methods and practices leave something to be desired. There are false positives whether the online platforms wish to admit it or not.
    The false positives, and so many false accusations, are so bloody disheartening.

What are the plans for the 2021 Canadian Junior Chess Championship (CJCC) and the Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC). For provinces that have qualifying tournaments for the mentioned national tournaments, the qualifying tournament has to finish at least 2 months before the national event for players to arrange for traveling. To organize a sizable qualifying tournament, it has to start organizing (e.g. book venue, etc.) at least 3-4 months ahead, if not longer. That is in total, we need to start organizing at least 5-6 months before the national event. At the moment, with the closeups and gathering restriction, it is unlikely any OTB qualifying tournament can happen in time. Please advise.

There are various introductions to Tornelo on youtube, the one they prepared for the European Chess Union is pretty comprehensive.

There is also a two hour-plus video on Tornelo's fair play philosophy and methods. Basically various measurements are provided to the arbiter but it is up to the arbiter to interpret and act on these reports, the platform itself does not run automated algorithms which ban players. This is likely why they have had the fewest complaints.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast