Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I would think that a CFC Ethics Commission (or Committee or whatever) would be a good thing. I guess the next step is for someone to offer to propose it, etc.
    We actually have an ethics committee on the books going back to 2005 or maybe earlier. There just doesn't seem to be much interest in populating it. With all proposals there have to be champions who are willing to serve on it and carry it forward.

There is an interesting idea proposed by Warren Buffett, one of the world's richest men who got there by investing in other companies. His idea applies to individuals, for profit companies and not for profit companies. His idea was that you should write down the top 25 things that you want to accomplish in life. You should rank them in the order of their importance to you or your company. You should draw a line under number 5. You should never again work on number 6 through 20 unless one of them rises up to the level of and displaces one of the first five. Buffet's idea is that no one has the time to pursue 25 goals. You should work on the five most important ones to the exclusion of all the rest and you will be much better off than you would have been if you split your attention 25 different ways. The reason that you even want to make the full list is that whenever you see yourself working on one of the bottom 20, you must immediately stop yourself because you are wasting time and taking that time from one of the five important tasks and issues. In effect, the 20 less important goals are a way to distract from turning your attention to the things which will help you accomplish your most important goals.

Blog Entries

I am not sure how much this Buffet idea is derived from the Paretto Principle which states that 80% of the outcomes or outputs are derived from 20% of the actions or inputs. If you can identify the 20% and exclusively concentrate on them your results will be multiplied.

what do you think the mandate of such a Commission ought to be and if we are talking sanctions due to violations should this be part of the National Appeals Committee or a separate body?

Anybody know how this is handled by bodies for Olympic sports?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    what do you think the mandate of such a Commission ought to be and if we are talking sanctions due to violations should this be part of the National Appeals Committee or a separate body?

Anybody know how this is handled by bodies for Olympic sports?

I think it would be important to look at how this is handled by other chess federations like the USCF, the English Chess Federation and FIDE. We did have a bit of a conversation on our forums but this petered out though there was some concern over some of the FIDE rules in this regard. Anyone who would like to wield it like a cudgel should be careful as any weapon can be turned around and used against the person who forged it. I don't think that this is one of the five top things that we should be doing. Obviously, it was not considered critical because no one followed through with it when the rules were passed almost decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I think it would be important to look at how this is handled by other chess federations like the USCF, the English Chess Federation and FIDE. We did have a bit of a conversation on our forums but this petered out though there was some concern over some of the FIDE rules in this regard. Anyone who would like to wield it like a cudgel should be careful as any weapon can be turned around and used against the person who forged it. I don't think that this is one of the five top things that we should be doing. Obviously, it was not considered critical because no one followed through with it when the rules were passed almost decades ago.
    Decades ago, I have no difficulty beating a computer and computer cheating was not a serious issue.

The USCF Code of Ethic http://www.uschess.org/index.php/Gov...-US-Chess.html , the CFC Governors did enact something similar, but no actual follow-up ever happened.

FIDE http://ethics.fide.com/

France : irrelevant because local Laws from the Minister of Sports have a too great influence on the system. Just fill in the blanks (....) on this mandatory form https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes...I000035425233/ to setup the Disciplinary Commission of first instance and of Appeal.

You are right that this is a weapon that could be used against anybody. In former foreign chess elections, frivolous complaints were made against candidate to an Executive position. In the FIDE campaign, complaints were made and withdrawn after the election.

I'm not sure about the English Chess Federation, but the USCF has an Ethics Commitee, and FIDE has an Ethics Commission. I would also be horrified if it were to be "wielded", fundamentally because an Ethics function must be, well, the MOST ethical! To Lyle's point, judging from what I have seen/heard via the USCF and FIDE functions, this would be separate from our National Appeals Committee. Our NAC has simply become like the Supreme Court of Canadian Arbiters, where from time to time, a player/parent APPEALS a ruling from a tournament. As current Chair of the NAC, I don't see why we would touch the NAC, it actually works.

Back to a potential CFC Ethics Committee, I would suggest that if someone wants to, they can prepare a proposal in the coming months, and provide it to the CFC Executive. If the idea and the way it is proposed have merit, then the CFC Executive can provide useful feedback, to finalize the proposal for the next CFC meeting after that (a quarterly one like this one, or maybe the AGM is more likely). I think it's much better to have all key parties agreeing before presenting for vote, etc.

Whereas I'm providing my opinion here, I will not be involved with any CFC Ethics proposal. I am fine with the NAC, and hoping to build CFC Arbiter development.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Whereas I'm providing my opinion here, I will not be involved with any CFC Ethics proposal. I am fine with the NAC, and hoping to build CFC Arbiter development.
    I agree, the fact that nobody has too many official officess is a sign of an healthy organization. Not so long ago, I was not contemplating getting involved in CFC Arbiters development, that would have left me available as an Ethic Committee member. Even then, I could have been considered to be in conflict of interest because, at least on one occasion, the NAC did recommend a suspension against a player. If there has been en Ethic Commission, I couldn't have voted in favour of a suspension that I have recommended as an NAC member.

FIDE has define the following requirements for EC eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by FIDE Charter
    The Chairman and three members of the Ethics and Disciplinary Commissions
    27are elected by the General Assembly among candidates having sufficient practical background and expertise in law and justice(at least 4years of experience as judge,or lawyer,or notary,or scholar or professor on legal subject matters,or similar professional experiences). The other three members are elected by the General Assembly among candidates having sufficient background in the administration of FIDE or of a Member Federation (at least 6years of experience as FIDE or Member Federation office bearer). They may not belong to the same Member Federation and shall not be re-elected for more than two consecutive terms.
    We are seeking both legal experts and persons with a suitable experience of the CFC. The members shall not be from the same province. In France, EC members cannot be office bearers of the national Federation and cannot have any relationship with the Federation other then their membership. The EC is at arms length with the Federation which should result in greater independance. There is also a provision the the Executive cannot issue orders to the EC and cannot terminate their mandate.

An EC would be nice to have, but creating it would be tricky. If the Law considers the EC actions to be discipline of the members, then the EC should be elected by the VM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I agree, the fact that nobody has too many official officess is a sign of an healthy organization. Not so long ago, I was not contemplating getting involved in CFC Arbiters development, that would have left me available as an Ethic Committee member. Even then, I could have been considered to be in conflict of interest because, at least on one occasion, the NAC did recommend a suspension against a player. If there has been en Ethic Commission, I couldn't have voted in favour of a suspension that I have recommended as an NAC member.

FIDE has define the following requirements for EC eligibility.

We are seeking both legal experts and persons with a suitable experience of the CFC. The members shall not be from the same province. In France, EC members cannot be office bearers of the national Federation and cannot have any relationship with the Federation other then their membership. The EC is at arms length with the Federation which should result in greater independance. There is also a provision the the Executive cannot issue orders to the EC and cannot terminate their mandate.

An EC would be nice to have, but creating it would be tricky. If the Law considers the EC actions to be discipline of the members, then the EC should be elected by the VM.
    FIDE is under Swiss law. We are under Canadian law and the NFP act. We cannot configure such a committee in the same way as FIDE has done theirs.

FIDE is under Swiss law. We are under Canadian law and the NFP act. We cannot configure such a committee in the same way as FIDE has done theirs.

The NFP Act specifically allows the articles or by-laws of a corporation to give the power to discipline a member or to terminate their membership to the directors, the members, or any committee of directors or members.

The Law gives us ample choices.

Blog Entries

We are not going to change the articles. That requires a two thirds majority and involves additional costs over and above changing bylaws which also require payment unless they have changed the rule.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast