Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    They would never do that, they would only ask for a Therapeutic Use Exemption https://www.wada-ama.org/en/question...-exemption-tue
    To be clear I would make the complaint against anyone who tried to enforce it in Canada, not FIDE. Marijuana would also be a problem because officials, coaches, instructors, arbiters etc. would be required to inform on others if they had knowledge of use.

I had previously read that nicotine was the only substance that was proven to improve chess play.

Does anyone know how many cups of coffee are safe to consume without worries of exceeding the limits according to WADA?

On the English federation's objection to Iran's boycott of Israel: -- Nigel Short uses the term "racist" occasionally, but generally the sense is clear that the discrimination is political rather than racist. The Iranian boycott is anti-Israel, not "anti-Semitic." This is a critical distinction because conflating the two is dangerous. Our own government is inclined to do so, which then threatens censorship of human rights observation. So I hope the CFC's draft letter of support did not make that mistake.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Langen View Post
    On the English federation's objection to Iran's boycott of Israel: -- Nigel Short uses the term "racist" occasionally, but generally the sense is clear that the discrimination is political rather than racist. The Iranian boycott is anti-Israel, not "anti-Semitic." This is a critical distinction because conflating the two is dangerous. Our own government is inclined to do so, which then threatens censorship of human rights observation. So I hope the CFC's draft letter of support did not make that mistake.
    The words racist and "anti-Semitic" did not appear in the letter. It was somewhat restrained but did call for suspension of the Iranian Federation on further acts of non-compliance with FIDE rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    So far the FIDE response has been somewhat dismissive. I might start a human rights complaint if they try to ban insulin or a blood pressure medication that I am taking.
    Sadly, because of my type 2 diabetes, I am also taking a cocktail of drugs, but I do not think any would be performance enhancing. Not sure where I saw the study, but I believe Ritalin helped performance the most (by about 15%), but caffeine also increased performance by about 10%. I have never tried Ritalin, as it seems like a radical solution, but I understand Ritalin is the drug of choice for university students before exams. I usually try to get a coffee before my games and I do find it does help me think better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ian findlay View Post
    Sadly, because of my type 2 diabetes, I am also taking a cocktail of drugs, but I do not think any would be performance enhancing. Not sure where I saw the study, but I believe Ritalin helped performance the most (by about 15%), but caffeine also increased performance by about 10%. I have never tried Ritalin, as it seems like a radical solution, but I understand Ritalin is the drug of choice for university students before exams. I usually try to get a coffee before my games and I do find it does help me think better.
    I remember in the 1990s they made noises about banning coffee as a performance enhancing substance. I can't print the reactions here. It seems that some of these quasi-governmental bodies are solutions in search of problems.

My understanding of WADA rules are concerning especially given the ban on life preserving things like insulin and anti blood pressure drugs (the latter which seems to me to harm performance and not enhance it so much so that when I am playing in a tournament, I do not take it until the evening after all the games are over). I read a provision where officials are required to report instances of drug use (marijuana for example) if they are aware of it. Lots of legal, human rights and moral implications follow.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-21-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Blog Entries

There has been so much news in so many areas over the last five months that it is easy to forget some rather significant ones. Specifically the online merger of the CFC chess club on chess.com with the Team Canada club under the auspices of the CFC. The CFC got some 2800 new online members for the combined club and also some online organizers active in organizing matches with other countries. These organizers got additional rights to organize events reserved for national federations. Some CFC members are taking advantage of these friendly matches.

You can join the club here and start playing in the matches almost immediately:

https://www.chess.com/club/chess-federation-of-canada

Our combined clubs had about 2900 players when we first merged in mid to early October and we are already up to 3149.

We need to leverage online resources to get more people interested in chess play.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-19-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Ethics Committee?

In the 2020 AGM election, a couple of issues were thrown out there somewhat unfairly. One was the idea that I had somehow obstructed the idea of an ethics commission. In fact, no one had raised the idea in executive or voting member or even governor meetings in my now close to 10 years of being involved in the CFC. I launched a thread on the CFC forums on this issue and aside from Aris Marghetis, Kevin Pacey, Egidijus Zeromskis and Pierre Dénommée there was not much response. No one who was making hay of this during the election has joined the conversation.

The thread can be found here:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...Code-of-Ethics

Blog Entries

Default CFC plan

I did initiate discussions on updating the strategic plan on the CFC discussion board as well in at least a couple of threads.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...tegy-Statement

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...or-lack-therof

There was little uptake aside from Chris Mallon asking a question which is okay. It is a bit foolish to be making plans while the house is burning down in the COVID crisis. We need to put out the fire and deal with the new realities based on the situation that we are in post pandemic. I think once people start getting vaccinated we are in a position where two years later we will be in a better position than we were just before the pandemic started, which was a pretty good place.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-19-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    In the 2020 AGM election, a couple of issues were thrown out there somewhat unfairly. One was the idea that I had somehow obstructed the idea of an ethics commission. In fact, no one had raised the idea in executive or voting member or even governor meetings in my now close to 10 years of being involved in the CFC. I launched a thread on the CFC forums on this issue and aside from Aris Marghetis, Kevin Pacey, Egidijus Zeromskis and Pierre Dénommée there was not much response. No one who was making hay of this during the election has joined the conversation.

The thread can be found here:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...Code-of-Ethics
    I would think that a CFC Ethics Commission (or Committee or whatever) would be a good thing. I guess the next step is for someone to offer to propose it, etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast