Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Governor inactivity and Peter Stockhausen

Default Governor inactivity and Peter Stockhausen

It is now obvious that Peter Stockhausen is alive. It also appears that he wishes not to be found. His wife has a blog detailing that the RCMP have been in contact with Peter and the missing person case is now considered closed.

http://sites.google.com/site/stockhausendisappearance/

I really don't want to dwell on someones personal life, no matter how tragic it seems to be for friends and family. But this does have ramifications on the CFC. Peter is a CFC Governor and this would obviously affect how he does his job as a Governor. Does the CFC have any policy on what we should do when a Governor voluntarily disappears? This would seem to be a prime case for the 'inactivity rule' that is being proposed by Governor Bob Armstrong and which I support (and second the motion). If a Governor can't / won't stay in touch perhaps a suspension? just a thought ... ideas anyone?

Blog Entries

I've been trying for an Activity rule for years... will try again this year!

Basically if a regular governor is inactive they get booted, their spot can be filled by the province, but they have to wait 2 years to be a governor again.

If a life governor becomes inactive, they remain a governor but they don't count towards quorums for proxies etc. until they become active again.

I'm not really sure why that motion was defeated at the AGM last year...? Seems pretty tame to me.

You have my support on this...

This thread has been locked down on 'the other board'. My main point was to emphasize how we need a 'inactivity rule'. I tried to use Peter disappearing as an example on why this rule should be enacted. I tried to steer the thread back to my main point of inactivity but the admin thought it was better to just shut down the discussion. This was never meant as an attack on Peter and if it came across as such, then I apologize. So let me rephrase my argument.

If I decided that I didn't want to participate as a governor anymore but just decided to 'let my governorship' run out the CFC should have a method of removing me as Governor so that BC could have a representative that would do the job. I can't see why this is controversial and can't be passed. Are there any arguments against it?

Blog Entries

I personally have nothing against the principle, but the specific implementation proposed in the other thread I have a problem with.

Hi Jason:

The CFC Handbook sets out the procedure for replacing a governor who resigns, which I think Peter should do if he is no longer going to act as a Governor.

Our CFC Constitutional Coalition " governor activity rule " , which you kindly seconded, will finally allow the CFC to expell a governor for inactivity.

Governor Ken Craft has raised in another thread, that the second part of our motion ( that the Provincial Association/appointing body cannot replace an expelled governor ) is illegal. I am seeking opinions on this point he has raised, so we can decide if we must amend our motion to delete that part. Do you think the second part of our motion is illegal?

Bob

It's especially undemocratic if a province only has one Governor.

I guess the way we've seen it is that the Province/appointing body is responsible for the governor they send to the CFC. If the governor is a dud, and the province sent them in, then shouldn't the province be penalized? Else why will they ever take the responsibility seriously, if they can just reappoint another deadwood governor.

But this argument doesn't speak to the question of whether the CFC trying to take away the Province's/appointing bodies' right to replace is illegal. Our rationale may be good, but the idea still be illegal. Need to hear what others think on this legal question, so we can take a position on it. Need more input.

Bob

Blog Entries

Smile Provincial governor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    I guess the way we've seen it is that the Province/appointing body is responsible for the governor they send to the CFC. If the governor is a dud, and the province sent them in, then shouldn't the province be penalized? Else why will they ever take the responsibility seriously, if they can just reappoint another deadwood governor.

But this argument doesn't speak to the question of whether the CFC trying to take away the Province's/appointing bodies' right to replace is illegal. Our rationale may be good, but the idea still be illegal. Need to hear what others think on this legal question, so we can take a position on it. Need more input.

Bob
    No, the province should not be penalized with the removal of their only governor position! A much better approach is to ask them to replace that "dud" with someone else within a given time frame. If the province does not react, that governor position could be suspended until action is taken. A suspended position is not considered anymore for voting, discussions, etc until it is re-activated.

This - of course - can be extended across the board to all provinces regardless how many governors they have. How about that?

Bob your intransigence is probably going to scuttle any type of Governor activity motion. A province has a right to its representatives. period. full stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast