Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Presidential Campaign Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Maritime lichess tournaments are run by Fred Mckim. There have been two matches with Romania, yesterday there was a match with the USA, there have been matches with clubs including the CFC executive and officers getting trounced by the Juniors to Masters kids. Not to mention that I had to enter the information for the Olympiad because the president of each federation is the one given the password and logon. Much of the impetus for the online CFC events has been the Covid rating incentive which lets people play games that are meaningful if you achieve some improvement in your active rating through CFC online play.

Paul Leblanc, CFC rating auditor, Victoria Doknjas, Christina Tao and the rest of the CFC board were involved in that initiative. We aren't sitting on our laurels and we aren't sitting around doing nothing but I have lots of things in my life including a nephew who was very sick and only today seems to have started to recover.

I love you because you do things like volunteer to coach teams for which we have paid you at times but I don't have time to hold people's hands. Bring us a proposal if and when we recover from this pandemic and it will be looked at closely. You are a good coach and we would love to have a network of good coaches training our kids. If you aren't asking us for money right now we would even help you as much as we could.

Anyone who loves chess and is trying to make chess better is a friend of the CFC and of me.
    Fred Mckim has organized these events (in person) before covid times as well. Juniors to masters organizes some events for select kids, and that's great (but not CFC accomplishment). All CFC events were cancelled. FIDE events have been cancelled too, but it seems they are trying to hold online rapid control versions of many of their cancelled events.

I am sorry its one sided, I prefer to look for love on dating sites, not on chesscanada.info. I am not asking for money, and I am sure you understand the times the the CFC paid me to coach and world youth events, I would have earned more money in less working time if I stayed home.

You don't understand my criticism - I don't like how the process of how decisions are made. I am not looking for goodies for myself. If we have a new president, perhaps things could change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    \

I am sorry its one sided, I prefer to look for love on dating sites, not on chesscanada.info.
    That explains the frustration. Online dating is not real for the most part.

Hi Victoria,

Just to elaborate - I don't think Juniors to Masters is "anti-Canadian" at all. I think the decision of CFC executive to approve your proposal is, without consulting the voting members and without approaching other Canadian coaches/teachers. You have a private, mostly family run company (I checked https://juniorstomasters.site123.me/our-team), and you are doing great things for the chess community, while also promoting your own interests.

I also have been teaching online for many years, while having most of my lessons in person. Today everything is online. I think most would agree that, while kids certainly are smart and can adapt to online learning - in person learning is still more beneficial for them.
    Hi Nikolay,

Thank you for clarifying and for your kinds words about our Juniors to Masters Program. We hold you in high regard as a Chess Coach and Player as well. We actually have some of your private Students in our JtM Program, and at one point thought you were referring them to us to augment their private lessons with you -- which I think is working well, btw.

It's not clear to me that the CFC Executives are required to consult with the VMs on all matters. If we allow bureaucracy to grind down the process of enabling great ideas to be executed, likely there would be fewer and fewer attempts to make great ideas a reality.

I think the lesson learned here is, if anyone has a great idea, reach out to the CFC Executives with your proposal. If it's a win-win proposition (maybe I should add win-win-win to include the Canadian Chess Community), then likely this "can-do" group will help make it happen.

If a new CFC President is going to grind things down to a stand still filled with bureaucracy, that is not something to look forward to.

In the end, we are all here because we want to see our Canadian Chess Community flourish.

You seem to be eluding to JtM be an "exclusive club" and while it's true that we want to encourage and show our appreciation to our hard working JtM Students as well as those who volunteers in our JtM Leadership Development Program, by holding some popular JtM Team Matches for our JtM Students (JtM vs. LPS Satu Mare, JtM vs. Cotnari Chess Academy, JtM vs. Vancouver Island, JtM vs. CFC, JtM vs. BC), we have also organized very popular open tournaments -- come one, come all!:

Juniors to Masters Sunshine Open: https://chess-results.com/tnr530540....&art=4&fed=CAN

Juniors to Masters Sunshine U1200: https://chess-results.com/tnr530541....&art=0&fed=CAN

Juniors to Masters Summer Open: http://chess-results.com/tnr529561.a...CAN&turdet=YES

Juniors to Masters Summer U1000: http://chess-results.com/tnr529735.a...CAN&turdet=YES

Juniors to Masters Charity Chess Tournament: https://juniorstomasters.site123.me/...ainst-covid-19

PS: I would agree that younger Students may benefit more from in-person lessons, but we have been dealing with online lessons fairly successfully for a number of years, including a Student in the NWT, and the best thing is that it gives access to all, not just a few in a certain area.
    Last edited by Victoria Doknjas; 08-16-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: updated link

Blog Entries

"Six months without very much revenue would probably constitute a crisis in the minds of most people. Yeah, I would say that we are in a bit of a crisis."

From reading the Treasurer Report, I get the feeling that everything is fine, and I am not the only one who thinks so. Not much revenue, but also no expenses. If we are in a crisis though, I'd love to hear a plan. I think its missing in your campaign essays.
    I don't believe I ever suggested that our expenses have declined at the same rate as our revenue. We still have a F/T ExD, we still have FIDE fees, we are still putting aside money for Chess Olympiads, etc. Bob has been busy over the past several months with getting ready for GoMembership and more recently web site problems and now concentrating on helping Don P with the new website. Our Revenue for 2020/21 is likely going to be down $40-50,000. a big push into Online chess could help with some of this. So far, Online CFC events have been organized by people in Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Brantford, Hamissauga, and Charlottetown. That leaves a lot of areas in the country that must have club organizers ready to step up .......... just think I had players from 8 provinces in my last event (almost Canadian Open worthy figures)

Blog Entries

Actually the expenses are pretty much the same. So yes, we are experiencing a crisis which we will weather because we have been careful about spending over the last seven years and before.

Blog Entries

Fred Mckim has organized these events (in person) before covid times as well.
    I'm not even sure what your point is here, Nikolay. Having organized hundreds of CFC tournaments over the past 40+ years, it only made sense to organize a Club and continue holding CFC events once we were forced online. I'm glad that others have followed suit. Actually, I think one held recently in Calgary was by first time organizers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    That explains the frustration. Online dating is not real for the most part.
    You see, when I use humour you respond with light insults. I am not frustrated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I'm not even sure what your point is here, Nikolay. Having organized hundreds of CFC tournaments over the past 40+ years, it only made sense to organize a Club and continue holding CFC events once we were forced online. I'm glad that others have followed suit. Actually, I think one held recently in Calgary was by first time organizers.
    Hi Fred,

Its great you are organizing events. My point was that Vlad claimed that the CFC is responsible for doing and organizing a great many things during the pandemic. They haven't.

Blog Entries

We are starting to descend into farce.

Blog Entries

Hi Fred,

Its great you are organizing events. My point was that Vlad claimed that the CFC is responsible for doing and organizing a great many things during the pandemic. They haven't.
    The vast majority of online events have been held by myself (CFC Treasurer), Bob G (CFC ExD), Paul L (CFC Rating Auditor) and Victoria D (Chair of the new CFC Online Committee). Many, many discussions have taken place between us, Vlad, and a couple of others in order for this to all come about.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast