Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9. Bids for 2020/2021 and National events

Default 9. Bids for 2020/2021 and National events

Bids for National events in 2020-21 (or beyond) can be made here.

Please note that vBulletin supports file attachments which you are strongly encouraged to include with your bid. Anybody wishing to make a bid is welcome to contact me if technical advice on posting a bid is needed.

Blog Entries

We received a bid for the 2022 Canadian Senior from Nova Scotia. There is some clarification needed but we will be offering more information soon.

There is a possible bid brewing from BC for the CYCC and Canadian Open in 2022. There is also interest from Durham Region which includes Oshawa and surrounding communities. Next year (2021) will be in Hamilton from whom we received a strong bid. The executive will tend to become more involved in these bids as there is a great deal of money on the table for organizers if you know how to ask and negotiate for it. Maximum leverage occurs before the bid is awarded. The Sport Tourism Canada (newly renamed) conferences are a new weapon which we are starting to learn how to wield for the benefit of the CFC and its organizers and players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We received a bid for the 2022 Canadian Senior from Nova Scotia. There is some clarification needed but we will be offering more information soon.
    As you may recall the 2020 Canadian Senior was a key part of the 2020 Pawnwise All-Age Chess Festival that was to take place over the long weekend in August. When the event was cancelled this spring, the CFC Executive approved Halifax holding the identical event in 2021. Part of the event involved bringing players and speakers from Asia, Europe, USA, etc. It is now obvious that there is no guarantee that the event can take place as it was intended (as part of a Festival). With that in mind, the NS organizers have now asked to hold the 2022 event as part of the full festival, while retaining the 2021 Canadian Senior as probably a stand-alone event (probably with an Open of some sort to accompany it). The Executive are still looking for a bit of elaboration from the organizers. I expect more information will be forthcoming over the course of the meeting. There could be other groups interested in hosting in 2022 or possibly hosting in 2021, if the CFC were to only give Halifax one of the two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    As you may recall the 2020 Canadian Senior was a key part of the 2020 Pawnwise All-Age Chess Festival that was to take place over the long weekend in August. When the event was cancelled this spring, the CFC Executive approved Halifax holding the identical event in 2021. Part of the event involved bringing players and speakers from Asia, Europe, USA, etc. It is now obvious that there is no guarantee that the event can take place as it was intended (as part of a Festival). With that in mind, the NS organizers have now asked to hold the 2022 event as part of the full festival, while retaining the 2021 Canadian Senior as probably a stand-alone event (probably with an Open of some sort to accompany it). The Executive are still looking for a bit of elaboration from the organizers. I expect more information will be forthcoming over the course of the meeting. There could be other groups interested in hosting in 2022 or possibly hosting in 2021, if the CFC were to only give Halifax one of the two years.
    I agree with your judgement of 2022 vs. 2021.

If the Executive have questions about Chess Nova Scotia's offer to hold the 2022 CSCC in Halifax, please ask and I will respond. In general, the uncertainty of a "Festival" prospect for 2021 due to ongoing COVID concerns means that we could hold the 2021 CSCC as a standalone event under controlled conditions, with perhaps an accompanying Mayflower Open event. But other Festival events, dependent on celebrity participation from other countries and large numbers of people in confined spaces, as the chess panel, for example, or harder-to-control youth events, would be off the table. While all celebrities are re-committed for 2021, including Hou Yifan, Evgeny Bareev, Dommaraju Gukesh, Tanitoluwa Adewoye, and Eduardis Rozentalis, it may not be until early spring 2021 before we could be sure of going ahead. This makes sponsorship more difficult, as this is often secured in the previous fall. We retain all current sponsorships, while two government applications had to be shelved. Just to put this in context, the Government of Nova Scotia is currently refraining from committing to hosting any large events before 2023.

Blog Entries

I hope everything is back to normal by the summer of 2021. I would hate to see the organizers in Halifax lose money because they are committed to something that cannot work financially. We only received your letter on the eve of this AGM. Once the outcome of the election is known we will be able to work with you on the best course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Langen View Post
    Just to put this in context, the Government of Nova Scotia is currently refraining from committing to hosting any large events before 2023.
    Thank you Roger, that's a very powerful point.

Blog Entries

That is a powerful point. I have some hope that things in Canada can get back to some kind of new normal as quickly as possible. I do wonder about world chess events given that the pandemic is raging full throttle in many parts of the world. An Olympiad style event bringing everyone together from so many different countries seems a stretch even for 2021.

Roger's note about the Government of NS - no major public events sponsorship until 2023 - is extremely important.
    Much as one would like to see OTB chess resume ASAP,
    planning for 2023 sounds like the way to go at this time.

Default Clarification

The NS Government's position on not planning for major events before 2023 is "for the moment" and not fixed. I strongly suspect that 2022 will be in play if a vaccine appears likely in 2021. So it is all about rational speculation, in keeping with the nature of our game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast