Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9. Bids for 2020/2021 and National events

Blog Entries

Default Canadian Senior 2021 and 2022

The Nova Scotia organizers had asked to push the Canadian Seniors to next year because of the cancellation of this year. They have now asked to organize 2022 which we are inclined to agree to. The only hesitation is that the original bid was a festival type arrangement with some celebrity guests. The 2021 tournament is going to be a stand-alone event with no associated festival. Seniors chess will likely be the last type of tournament that will resume because of the documented vulnerabilities of seniors. I worry that they might be setting themselves up to fail and lose money by going ahead with the 2021 event in the current uncertainty. It may also turn out that we don't want to resume seniors chess for safety reasons. All of these issues need to be resolved. It is likely that the situation will be clearer in six months.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-20-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Canadian Closed 2023

Due to the forced cancellation of the Canadian Closed in 2020, the organizer Aris Marghetis asked for us to extend his right to hold the Canadian Closed for one more year at Kingston substituting 2023 for 2020. The Executive agreed to his request unanimously

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Due to the forced cancellation of the Canadian Closed in 2020, the organizer Aris Marghetis asked for us to extend his right to hold the Canadian Closed for one more year at Kingston substituting 2023 for 2020. The Executive agreed to his request unanimously
    Excellent decision!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Having played in the 2019 Canadian Closed in Kingston, I can attest this was a very well organized event and fun event. Thank you Aris for your continued work and dedication. As a fellow organizer, I know how much work is really involved and what a thankless job it is! Good luck and I hope to see you at one of these events.

Quote Originally Posted by ian findlay View Post
    Having played in the 2019 Canadian Closed in Kingston, I can attest this was a very well organized event and fun event. Thank you Aris for your continued work and dedication. As a fellow organizer, I know how much work is really involved and what a thankless job it is! Good luck and I hope to see you at one of these events.
    Ian, thank you for the kind words. It really was a wonderful (but exhausting lol) effort that I look forward to doing again as soon as we possibly can safely.

And classy nice players like yourself make it all extra-worth-it! Take care Ian.

Hi Vlad -- Holding the 2021 CSCC as a standalone event (along with the Mayflower Open but without the Chess Considered panel or other Festival-style frills) is a fallback position only. We would make a firm decision by about the end of February. Cancelling everything outright would also be a possibility at that time depending on the Covid state of affairs. Interest in holding the 2022 CSCC is contingent on the first scenario above, making sure the 2021 CSCC is held in Halifax if it is going to be held at all, but deferring the Pawn Wise All-Ages Chess Festival to the following year. I hope this is all clear. In any case, Chess Nova Scotia will be happy to accept whatever the CFC decides.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Langen View Post
    Hi Vlad -- Holding the 2021 CSCC as a standalone event (along with the Mayflower Open but without the Chess Considered panel or other Festival-style frills) is a fallback position only. We would make a firm decision by about the end of February. Cancelling everything outright would also be a possibility at that time depending on the Covid state of affairs. Interest in holding the 2022 CSCC is contingent on the first scenario above, making sure the 2021 CSCC is held in Halifax if it is going to be held at all, but deferring the Pawn Wise All-Ages Chess Festival to the following year. I hope this is all clear. In any case, Chess Nova Scotia will be happy to accept whatever the CFC decides.
    I support these attractive events getting their turn in the Atlantic time zone!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Langen View Post
    We are open to you doing one or both of these events subject to the covid situation prevailing at the time. If you are not able to hold it in 2021 we are definitely open to you doing it in 2022. We probably will not entertain any other bids until the covid situation clarifies. My only concern is that because of covid concerns we might have to cancel the 2021 event and I don't want to leave you holding the bag because money is going to be scarce in the next year.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-23-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12