Thread: COVIDS-19 Rating Incentive

Default COVIDS-19 Rating Incentive

COVID-19 Rating Incentive
    In order to provide an incentive for CFC members to participate in CFC rated Internet events
    during the COVID-19 crisis, the CFC has introduced a temporary measure to allow certain players'
    Regular ratings to be adjusted upwards if they meet specified criteria during the period 1 April 2020 to 1 April 2021.

Players who play a minimum of 10 CFC rated games between 1 April 2020 and 1 April 2021
    and who attain a Quick/Active rating that is 200 points higher than their Regular rating will have their Regular
    rating increased by 200 points.
    The minimum time control for qualifying events is 25 minutes per player including increments. The total time
    is calculated based on a 60-move game, for example 15 minutes per player plus a ten-second increment.

The COVID-19 rating incentive can only be earned once per player.
    Only paid-up CFC members are eligible for this incentive.
    The new Regular rating cannot exceed 2000.

It will not be necessary for players to apply for the COVID-19 rating incentive. It will be done
    as part of the regular rating process.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Thank you to Victoria Doknjas who originally suggested the COVIDS-19 rating incentive. She provided the following words:

Most of us recognize that we are all living in a very challenging time. We can either sit back and wait, or we can look for innovative ways to help our chess community. One way would be to allow proposals like this one to keep chess activities going, as this is a message of encouragement -- that our CFC members are participating in a meaningful pastime that can increase their CFC Regular rating if they work hard enough and if they put in the effort to continue to play serious chess during this Covid-19 time.
    It is my stance that if we put forward innovative proposals and ideas during this very challenging time, that we can be more of a light to our chess community, an encouragement, and a source of enjoyment that can have meaningful outcomes."
    Victoria Doknjas
    Co-Founder of Juniors to Masters Inc.
    https://juniorstomasters.site123.me/
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

We have an update to the program on the CFC website.

http://miltonchess.ca/images/bcc/cfconlineevents.pdf
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 07-02-2020 at 10:11 AM.

If I may add Bob, I find the first paragraph really exciting (the *** are mine lol)

"The CFC is accepting internet events for Quick (Active) rating.

*** Internet events with slower time controls normally rated Regular may also be submitted for Quick (Active) rating. ***"

This opens the door to slower games being rated (at the Active time control, but still rated)

Just curious, anyone running Standard time control on chess.com yet, to be submitted for CFC Quick (Active) rating?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Just curious, anyone running Standard time control on chess.com yet, to be submitted for CFC Quick (Active) rating?
    I believe the BC Senior was standard T/C.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I believe the BC Senior was standard T/C.
    It would be cool if someone really into online could compile a weekly list of upcoming events, with time controls, site, etc. I think that would help with registrations.

Thank you for regularly posting yours.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    It would be cool if someone really into online could compile a weekly list of upcoming events, with time controls, site, etc. I think that would help with registrations.

Thank you for regularly posting yours.
    CFC events are advertized at the tournament web page.
    https://chess.ca/tournaments (USE MICROSOFT EDGE / EXPLORER as your browser)

I'll advertize other clubs and events at
    http://mcc.devastation.ca/maritime_ol.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    CFC events are advertized at the tournament web page.
    https://chess.ca/tournaments (USE MICROSOFT EDGE / EXPLORER as your browser)

I'll advertize other clubs and events at
    http://mcc.devastation.ca/maritime_ol.html
    thanks, but don't have those browsers, so blocked by malware warning ... I thought it a good idea for an online-lover to post summaries here & ChessTalk

As far as I know, Fred is the only one posting information of all CFC-rated tournaments in his Maritime Chess Club website. Also cuvo.ca posts some information that covers several chess clubs. And recently Bob was (is?) doing the same in the CFC site (I have not been able to check that site for over two weeks now due to the hacking problem... but hopefully that would be solved soon). Besides, both Fred and Bob have been very active advertising their tournaments in this Forum site as well (disclaimer, I am not a spokesperson for either Fred or Bob! :-)

All of that is great and hopefully continues to be improved over time -for example, today Bob was advertising upcoming evens while in the chat area of the CFC- Hamissauga #3, that way promoting other tournaments to the players who were playing there. I am delighted to see everyone looking to spread the news of CFC-rated online choices, beyond their individual club.

At the risk of repeating info (and being hated for that), what we may be missing is to advertise CFC-rated tournaments DIRECTLY in Chess.com and Lichess. Something like what the USCF has done (e.g., check this link in Chess.com: https://www.chess.com/news/view/ches...ated-play-9414).

If/when someone from CFC advertises that on those sites -which have millions of users, then perhaps is when we would see more people interested in joining. It does not have to be very sophisticated or complex (see my previous post from a few days ago for some suggestions), but obviously someone from the CFC executive would have to approve this... Perhaps the upcoming AGM could be a venue to discuss this?

Cheers,
    Jose