Thread: 5A4 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - CFC Handbook revisions

Default 5A4 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - CFC Handbook revisions

It is desired to update the Handbook to reflect changes brought about by the 'new' Non-profits legislation and to make the Handbook more generally useful to organizers and players

The major changes have been brought about by the 'new' Federal Not For Profit act which changed several rules and regulations and applies to all Federally chartered Non-profits like the CFC. (Most provincial federations are governed by provincial legislation - for example subsequent to the Federal act revisions BC changed theirs and the BCCF had some changes to make - though smaller than the CFC's)

In general terms we would like to retain our main regulations in the main body of the Handbook and move less core bylaws into appendices. We would also like to rewrite certain sections to reflect that much of our business is now done electronically rather than out of an industrial condo in Ottawa as was the case when the current Handbook was last revised. Similarly there are valuable documents on running tournaments, the rating system, how bids for national events are done that need review - not necessarily changes but put into documents that are more accessible and easier to use.

Speaking personally, the USCF has done much in the last 10 years to make their governance and bidding processes much more user friendly and I would encourage those interested to check out uschess.org particularly if you haven't been there lately. I do NOT recommend slavishly adopting their changes wholesale but at the same time there are some good ideas there we could learn from.

Lastly in case anybody is unclear, none of these ideas would be done without full ratification by the Assembly. This is more tweaking than a full-scale rewrite. We are NOT talking constitutional changes but rather making the Handbook more useful and reflecting current practice.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 04-29-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, we have been talking about this for several years. In my opinion it will only happen when somebody with strong project management skills (and some time) volunteers to take charge, as we've had several volunteers to take on specific chapters.

i've volunteered to head this up and would very much like to see it move ahead.

Vlad has volunteered as has Paul to rewrite the rating system section.

What I'd particularly like is a new guide for rookie TDs including arranging a site, advertising, things you need to know in advance, how tournament reports are submitted in 2019 (which is quite different from 20 years ago) and so forth.

I'd also like to see us (1) be more accommodating to prospective donors and (2) be more aggressive in seeking major events bids which ties into the sports tourism thing but those are particularly matters of policy where I think we SHOULD be going rather than things done through the Handbook. No question some of this impacts the Website so Bob would also need to be involved.

I do think it's possible to do a PDF version but in my opinion the main level of the Handbook should be a master section with links covering the main points. (Governance, I'd like to see the regs for the online meetings a separate section, and so forth)

It's definitely doable and would help the Federation

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    i've volunteered to head this up and would very much like to see it move ahead.

Vlad has volunteered as has Paul to rewrite the rating system section.

What I'd particularly like is a new guide for rookie TDs including arranging a site, advertising, things you need to know in advance, how tournament reports are submitted in 2019 (which is quite different from 20 years ago) and so forth.

I'd also like to see us (1) be more accommodating to prospective donors and (2) be more aggressive in seeking major events bids which ties into the sports tourism thing but those are particularly matters of policy where I think we SHOULD be going rather than things done through the Handbook. No question some of this impacts the Website so Bob would also need to be involved.

I do think it's possible to do a PDF version but in my opinion the main level of the Handbook should be a master section with links covering the main points. (Governance, I'd like to see the regs for the online meetings a separate section, and so forth)

It's definitely doable and would help the Federation
    What you need to do is draw up an outline of the major headings of a new Handbook and then find volunteers to take each of these on. Post monthly updates on the Forum. In 6 months we could have the initial draft. Volunteers who didn't follow through on their section are replaced by someone else.

We should add an anti-cheating section. This was irrelevant when the original Handbook has been written, but is now essential. The FQE has caught its first cheater. The FQE attorney has recommended that his name be communicated only to arbiters and organizers in Quebec who are responsible for the application of the ban.

It is no longer an academic subject and for events that are not FIDE rated, it is our responsibility to act. The FQE cheater did not cheat in any FIDE rated event ran by a FA or an IA, he achieved poor results in those tournaments. This means that he has never cheated in a CFC rated event.

I did attend the ACC inernet seminar along with other Canadian IA and I also volunteer for this section. We need proper links to relevant FIDE documents and a description of the CFC procedure to report and punish cheating, a procedure which need to be created.

Blog Entries

By default, we follow the FIDE laws of chess. I think anti-cheating provisions are fairly well defined within FIDE and we should simply follow their lead and not try to reinvent the wheel.

As preparation for a conference panel discussion on regulation and Artificial Intelligence, I recently familiarized myself with the FIDE Anti-Cheating Guidelines.

https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/A...Guidelines.pdf
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-02-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    By default, we follow the FIDE laws of chess. I think anti-cheating provisions are fairly well defined within FIDE and we should simply follow their lead and not try to reinvent the wheel.

As preparation for a conference panel discussion on regulation and Artificial Intelligence, I recently familiarized myself with the FIDE Anti-Cheating Guidelines.

https://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/A...Guidelines.pdf
    Cheaters are not caught by Artificial Intelligence, they are caught by statistical analysis interpreted by a professor with a Ph.D. in statistics. This is how we know that he didn't cheat in CFC rated events, poor results are not sufficient to prove the lack of cheating. LiChess offers training exercises from games played in their online arena. I have seen one case of a player with an advantage of two knights loose the game to a 2 moves back-rank mate a 1200 player would normally not allow. This is suspicious because if the player is strong enough to gain a two knights advantage, why didn't he see the trivial mate? In order to gain an unfair advantage, it is sufficient to get computer assistance on some critical moves, not on every move.

Off course, we follow FIDE lead, but quite obviously, the FIDE Fair Play Commission and the FIDE Ethics Commission don't care about player without a FIDE ID cheating in tournaments that are not FIDE rated. So the complaint forms will have to go elsewhere within the CFC. Obviously, CFC member number must replace FIDE ID, only CFC members can file a complain and so on. The CFC also lack an Ethic Commission and a Fair Play Commission. The Fair Play Commission prosecute and the Ethic Commission judge, thus respecting the separation of duties between the judge and the prosecutor. FIDE find that to be important, but we have nothing similar.

There is one information that has never been on the Handbook. How do you replace a broken IA pin? Mine is broken, the pin did separate from the rest and my home made repair has also failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    There is one information that has never been on the Handbook. How do you replace a broken IA pin? Mine is broken, the pin did separate from the rest and my home made repair has also failed.
    Just curious, is that post serious? You want that in the Handbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Just curious, is that post serious? You want that in the Handbook?
    I seriously need a new pin and I didn't find any information on this subject anywhere.