Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5A3 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - Developments and Directions in Canadian Chess

A few people in BC have been asking me where the BC Senior will be held.
    Can someone direct me to the website please?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

I don't think it's a good idea to combine Senior and Zonal. Many seniors played in the Zonal this year, including the winner.

In the thread on the Handbook I have referred to uschess.org.

One of the things I used to most like about their old site was the section on national events - the top half of the page advertises coming events, the second half has a link saying 'national events open for bids'

In other words the bidding process was front and center and any organizer considering an event knows where to look. I do NOT claim our situation is the same as theirs but I'm not too proud to steal a great idea where I see one. For instance, note how the fact that one might make a contribution is front and center on the site and not in the private member area...

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hello there, I didn't know where else in this meeting to post this:

Are there any 2019-2020 national events that don't yet have an Organizer, plan, etc?
    On the crosstables page, I do not see any result for the 2019 Women Zonal. Has it been held in Kingston as planned? Do we have a 2019 Canadian Women Champion?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    On the crosstables page, I do not see any result for the 2019 Women Zonal. Has it been held in Kingston as planned? Do we have a 2019 Canadian Women Champion?
    The Zonal year for women is next year, 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea to combine Senior and Zonal. Many seniors played in the Zonal this year, including the winner.
    Hello Victor, thanks for this point. So I've attended some of the recent Seniors (Kitchener & Calgary), and my recollection is that very few of those attendees would go to a Closed/Zonal. It would obviously be a bad idea if there was overlap between Closed & Seniors, but off the top of my head, the only top player I can think of is FM Ian Findlay. If I'm mistaken, please correct me, but my initial reaction is that the Closed and the Seniors attract a mostly different subset of our chess players?

Not only Ian Findlay. M.Barron, D.Haessel and M.Dougherty have played many Zonals as well. I never played Seniors, but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Not only Ian Findlay. M.Barron, D.Haessel and M.Dougherty have played many Zonals as well. I never played Seniors, but who knows...
    OK, fair enough. I've only seen/played the last 3 at the Seniors. If you're in touch with them, I would love to hear their opinion (and especially Ian's) on having the Closed & Seniors at the same time/place. Like would their first reaction be frustration at having to choose between the two options, or it would be EASY to choose?

Thanks again for the input, it's critical to know what "real players" think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    OK, fair enough. I've only seen/played the last 3 at the Seniors. If you're in touch with them, I would love to hear their opinion (and especially Ian's) on having the Closed & Seniors at the same time/place. Like would their first reaction be frustration at having to choose between the two options, or it would be EASY to choose?

Thanks again for the input, it's critical to know what "real players" think.
    I don't think we should try to combine the events except in a pinch. I would hope that at some point I will once again be able to play in a Canadian Closed and I will definitely be playing in the Canadian Senior again.

Hi Aris,
    I agree with Victor - it's not a good idea to combine the Closed & Seniors at the same time/place.
    This year I had to choose between the Closed & World Seniors, and would like to avoid missing the Closed next year again...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast