View Poll Results: The most memorable moment in World Championship history was ...

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alekhine-Capablanca 1927

0 0%
  • Fischer-Spassky 1972

14 58.33%
  • Lasker-Schlechter 1910

1 4.17%
  • Kasparov-Karpov 1984

3 12.50%
  • Karpov-Kasparov 1987

2 8.33%
  • Something else

4 16.67%

Thread: 3. Voting Member Sign-in - sign in by voting for any of the options

Default 3. Voting Member Sign-in - sign in by voting for any of the options

This quarter's 'vote' is on most memorable moment in World Championship history

1. Alekhine - Capablanca 1927 - game 34 - Alekhine's last win against Capa earning him the title
    2. Fischer - Spassky game 1 1972 - Fischer hangs a piece and creates controversy as to whether with best play Fischer should hold
    3. Lasker - Schlechter game 10 1910 - Schlechter needs a win to win the match, spoiled brilliancy, draws, Lasker remains champ
    4. Kasparov - Karpov - 1984 - match suspended with Karpov up 5-3, Kasperov wins second match
    5. Karpov - Kasparov - 1987 - game 24 - Karpov up 12-11, Karpov blunders in winning position, Kasparov retains title
    6. Something else

I commend you on your research!

Thank you - obviously both K-K's and Fischer-Spassky are in my playing lifetime and in my early 20s I analysed the heck out of the Lasker-Schlechter particularly game 10 - in those days a champ tended to have full control of the terms of a match and at any given time there were typically 3 or 4 top GMs who were considered credible contenders and whichever of them had the deepest pockets or the richest sponsors got the match.

(That was pretty much the norm up until FIDE took over the world championship cycle after the death of Alekhine) Schlechter was CLEARLY the top contender in 1910 but had limited financing so Lasker would only agree to 10 games thus that's what Schlechter got. Shortly afterwards, World War 1 occurred and Schlechter died of TB (thought to be aggravated by starvation in immediate postwar Budapest) and to my mind is one of the chess heroes of the pre-war era.

Alekhine-Capa need no introduction of course as the two of them dominated the inter-war era.

For my money the two historical questions that will never be answered are (1) did Alekhine actually write the anti-Semitic articles published under his name in Nazi-occupied France? and (2) did Keres make a deal to retain his freedom after spending much of 1942-45 in Nazi-occupied Estonia and elsewhere in Europe? The usual Soviet treatment of celebs who fell into German hands was 8-10 years in a Gulag but Keres remained an "honored Soviet Grandmaster" till his death in 1975. This was PARTICULARLY true of those who took part in "Nazi cultural events" and tournaments like Vienna 1942 definitely were considered cultural events.

For those wanting further information there are lots of chess books plus online resources including Wikipedia pages for most top grandmasters of the pre-WW2 era.