Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11b Other Business - Tournament Director & Organizer Committee (TDOC)

Blog Entries

Default 11b Other Business - Tournament Director & Organizer Committee (TDOC)

Hal Bond has been acting as a one person Committee, and I think we would be well suited with a 3-5 person Committee. I'm open for any discussion as well as the role such a group would perform. Perhaps we can put something in place at the first Quarterly meeting.

do you have a list of goals, tasks, terms of reference etc?

If this committee is working as it should what do you see as the main benefits?

While there could be set official requirements for "higher" level directors and organizers; imho, the main need is for starting directors and organizers who need advice for various matters. The committee could have (prepare) some kind of guidelines for these budding organizers.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    do you have a list of goals, tasks, terms of reference etc?

If this committee is working as it should what do you see as the main benefits?
    No, I am merely bringing this issue to light as I think we would benefit from this. From giving advice as Egis suggests, to approving nominations for FIDE titles, to setting tests for National titles, etc.

I have told Vlad that I would very much like to see an updated edition of Jonathan Berry's "So You Want to be a Tournament Director" - I think it would be a useful contribution to this cause. Jonathan's work was epic in its day but so much has changed since the mid 1970s when he wrote it

In particular a newbie's primer on how one submits tournament reports is particularly needed.

Examinations are required for the LTD and RTD levels. The entire process should be computerized and accessible from anywhere in Canada. I could do that in my sleep because the required software is free and is already massively used in Universities all over the world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    No, I am merely bringing this issue to light as I think we would benefit from this. From giving advice as Egis suggests, to approving nominations for FIDE titles, to setting tests for National titles, etc.
    Its not clear to me that we should delegate that authority (of approving nominations for FIDE titles). Presumably we are talking about arbiter titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Its not clear to me that we should delegate that authority (of approving nominations for FIDE titles). Presumably we are talking about arbiter titles.
    FIDE would likely not recognized the delegation. Canada basketball did (but no longer does) delegate official training to the Canadian Association of Basketball Officials but was still obligated to fill the International Official applications because under FIBA rules, only a National Federation can apply for those international titles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    They could consider the application and forward an opinion to the Board.

I'm not an arbiter and I don't know if it's worthwhile, however Chess Informant has this book on for sale "Chess Handbook, Book for Arbiters" which can be found at: https://www.sahovski.com/Chess-Handb...ters-p92256895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast