Thread: 11. Other business

Default 11. Other business

This is reserved for any other business "from the floor".

Based on volume of responses I reserve the right to split this thread to make it easier to follow specific topics

At the FQE AGM, it has been announced that we have caught the first computer cheater in Canada. His name cannot be revealed because he has not been notified of his punishment. As a member of the FQE Ethics Committee, I am not allowed to disclose the name of anybody who has or had any kind of dealings with the Committee. In Quebec, the Ethics Committee only recommends sanctions, the deciding body being the Board of Directors.

We should consider anti-cheating seriously in the CFC before a second case is found.

Can you give any details - e.g. was this discovered at a tournament? some other venue?

30 years ago I expelled a player from a tournament who was found consulting ECO in the mens' room roughly 1/2 hour into the round. There were no further sanctions beyond that one event. While the technology is quite different I'm not convinced the offence is much different.

On another occasion I cautioned the father of a junior who was annoying his son's opponent saying I could either expel him from the room or forfeit his son if this continued. I was unsure of his English so I explained the situation to the kid's older brother (a former provincial junior champion who obviously understood the rules) asking him to explain things to his father which he did and there were no further problems.

On another occasion I required two players (not the two playing the game) who were analysing a position which was obviously a variation from a game in progress about 10'-15' away from the board to either stop their analysis or take it to another room. (I did not believe either player was intended to benefit from their analysis or were even aware what their "friends" were up to)

Nor am I convinced we need additional rules beyond the Laws of Chess which include the following:

During play the players are forbidden to use any notes, sources of information or advice, or analyse any game on another chessboard.

During a game, a player is forbidden to have any electronic device not specifically approved by the arbiter in the playing venue.

However, the regulations of an event may allow such devices to be stored in a player’s bag, provided the device is completely switched off. This bag must be placed as agreed with the arbiter. Both players are forbidden to use this bag without permission of the arbiter.

The rules don't specify a specific penalty so if a penalty beyond tournament expulsion is proposed then yes it's a matter for the Assembly. I'm thinking of things like the "John von Neumann" affair at the World Open some 15 years ago (see link if unfamiliar with the case).
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-26-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Blog Entries

One of my opponents mentioned that someone had been caught cheating at an FQE tournament. He told me that the event was not FIDE nor CFC rated and did not give the name of the individual. He told me that I should ask Richard Berube about it. It was several days later before I had an opportunity to talk to Richard privately and I forgot to bring this up.

It was in multiple tournaments, mostly in local clubs.

Dr. Reagan concluded that The 2017 Trois-Rivieres Open and COQ screened normal but are excluded because the earliest communications about the complaint gave grounds for their being non-similar. The player didn't cheat when I was the Chief Arbiter. He did play a few FIDE and CFC rated games, but he came clear for all those. It is not clear if ACC has to be notified because none of those games have been FIDE rated.

Richard Bérubé is on vacations is will return after Labour Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    It was in multiple tournaments, mostly in local clubs.

Dr. Reagan concluded that The 2017 Trois-Rivieres Open and COQ screened normal but are excluded because the earliest communications about the complaint gave grounds for their being non-similar. The player didn't cheat when I was the Chief Arbiter. He did play a few FIDE and CFC rated games, but he came clear for all those. It is not clear if ACC has to be notified because none of those games have been FIDE rated.

Richard Bérubé is on vacations is will return after Labour Day.
    Dear Pierre (and Richard), I would be interested in receiving a report on this case, for possible consideration by the FIDE ACC (Anti Cheating Committee), and for possible inclusion in the FIDE Arbiters' magazine. I understand that you/Richard/FQE might prefer to not publicize some of the details, but if we can learn anything from this case, then I'll heartily welcome whatever you/Richard/FQE are indeed comfortable providing. Thank you for considering this. You can email me at arismarghetis at rogers dot com

I will check with Richard when he comes be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I will check with Richard when he comes be back.
    Merci, et bien a vous.