Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5.E Discussion Item with regard to youth membership, YCC and youth rating fees

It is well known that parents will pay more for their childrens activities than for their own. Running the CFC, which includes our junior programs, costs money and we should not be shy about using junior membership fees, junior rating fees and some of the CYCC fees to help cover our administrative costs. I support some increase in these fees in order to give our organisation a more sound financial footing.
    Les Bunning

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I believe that YCC fees can be increased without involving voting members other that in an advisory manner. If the majority think it is a bad idea then we shouldn't do it. Rating fees likewise should be the purview of the executive. I think increasing the rating fee to $1 for regular rated junior events would probably not represent much of a hardship and would not disadvantage us vis a vis the CMA who are also looking to raise rating fees slightly. I believe it is 0.75 per player in non-qualifier type tournaments.
    The NFP act has changed since I previously familiarized myself with it. In the past, membership dues were decided by the voting members unless my memory has failed me. A search of the current act yields the following information.

Annual contributions or dues
    30 Subject to the articles, the by-laws and any unanimous
    member agreement, the directors may require
    members to make an annual contribution or pay annual
    dues and may determine the manner in which the contribution
    is to be made or the dues are to be paid.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C-7.75.pdf

Canada Not-for-profit
    Corporations Act
    CODIFICATION

S.C. 2009, c. 23
    Current to May 9, 2018
    Last amended on May 1, 2018
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-27-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Undriadi, for thinking about improving junior chess in Canada!

Unfortunately, these Motions are not ready for this Meeting.
    Such matters should be discussed by the Youth Committee first, and after discussion and amendments, if necessary, could be brought to the Voting Members Meeting.
    The youth committee cannot vote on membership fees. They can offer an opinion which we would have to consider. I did speak with a number of parents attending OYCC about raising junior fees which I was initially dead set against. I am not dead set against it anymore but would like to understand what we would spend the extra money on.

As the Youth Coordinator for the OCA and the organizer of the OYCC, I would vehemently oppose the raising of the YCC fees. This will reduce the amount I can offer to the winners and top finishers of each section as bursaries to get them to the CYCC. The funds still go to the Youth fund in the form of more players attending the CYCC.
    In fact, I believe we need to take another look at the whole YCC format.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

I would welcome a review of the YCC program focusing on (1) are the original policies of the event cycle still either relevant or preferable? (2) assuming we like the concept how can we tweak it to make it better?

We need to be realistic and understand that the answers are likely not to be the same across the whole country.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
    As the Youth Coordinator for the OCA and the organizer of the OYCC, I would vehemently oppose the raising of the YCC fees. This will reduce the amount I can offer to the winners and top finishers of each section as bursaries to get them to the CYCC. The funds still go to the Youth fund in the form of more players attending the CYCC.
    In fact, I believe we need to take another look at the whole YCC format.
    What would you change about the YCC format?

I do not support raising the youth membership fees to the same level as adult fees. Not all children come from affluent backgrounds. We should make chess affordable and accessible for children from working class backgrounds. Fifty cents does not recoup the cost in labour of rating junior only tournaments. I would support raising the fee to a dollar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    I do not support raising the youth membership fees to the same level as adult fees. Not all children come from affluent backgrounds. We should make chess affordable and accessible for children from working class backgrounds. Fifty cents does not recoup the cost in labour of rating junior only tournaments. I would support raising the fee to a dollar.
    I tend to agree with you however it should be noted that it is possible for children to play CFC chess against other children without becoming a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I like to submit motions to increase our revenues as follows:

Increase Jr. membership fees to match adult membership fees.
    Increase Jt. Rating fees from $0.50 to $1.00
    Increase YCC qualifiers fees to $5 per player, and $2 of this go to general revenues
    Undriadi, please confirm whether I am reading the above correctly. You are proposing:
    1) To increase the Jr. membership fees, the increased amount will all go to the general fund. not the Junior Fund,
    2) To increase the Jr. Rating fees , the increased amount will all go to the general fund. not the Junior Fund,
    3) To increase YCC qualifiers fees from $1.5 to $5 per player. Out of the $3.5 increase, $1.5 will go to the Junior Fund, $2 will go to the general fund.

The above proposal's main purpose is to increase revenue for the general fund, not the Junior Fund. Is that so?

The CFC office is under-staffed. I think everyone agrees with that.
    The 50 cent junior rating fee is unrealistic.
    Therefore, it seems obvious to me where any extra revenue should be spent.
    Regarding the annual membership fees, I'd like to see a discount for first-time CFC members.
    There's a bit of sticker shock when a new, unrated player finds out that in addition to a $60-$90 entry fee, there's a $38 (BC) membership charge.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast