Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5.2 Anton Kovalyov World Cup incident

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Fred, I absolutely agree with your aproach. The reason I asked this question was the violation of some CFC rules in this campaign. As you know, the executive granted exepmtion from 10 points penalty (Canadian Closed) for 2 players.

In one case (R.Preotu) it was a really exceptional situation, but I am not sure about the call even in this case. In another case (E.Hansen) it was a standard conflict of interest, which happens to everyone. Nothing was really exceptional here. The same ruling could potentially apply for many other players. Bareev, for example has a lot of students and a whole week costs him a lot of money.

You wrote that VMs were clear about this 20-games rule. That's right. They also voted for our motion about bonus/penalty for Canadian Closed.

One of the reason I initiate some changes is the qualification rules was to increase transparency and to reduce uncertainty. Executive did exactly the opposite.

I always want CFC to follow it's own rules. Eric has a gap of 100 points between him and next in the line (LeSiege), so his spot in the team is garanteed (it he plays 20 games). Very possible, Vlad's call doesn't change anything. However, I see it as a dangerous precedent.

One of the reason I initiated some changes in qualification rules was to increase transparency and to reduce uncertainty. The executive did exactly the opposite.
    I think there is room for a motion that would outline any exceptions allowed for the 10 point penalty for not attending the Canadian Closed. As always, the Voting Members choose the Executive and can express their displeasure at the voting booth. I think a full discussion about the exceptions to this new rule would be welcome either for the next few days or at the next quarterly meeting. If the majority think the Executive did wrong, then it should be acknowledged for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think there is room for a motion that would outline any exceptions allowed for the 10 point penalty for not attending the Canadian Closed. As always, the Voting Members choose the Executive and can express their displeasure at the voting booth. I think a full discussion about the exceptions to this new rule would be welcome either for the next few days or at the next quarterly meeting. If the majority think the Executive did wrong, then it should be acknowledged for next time.
    No, it doesn't work like that. There was no way to express displeasure at the voting booth because there was no competition. There was no option to abstain either, as far as I remember. I think the point Victor is trying to make (which I fully agree with) is quite simple. There are rules, and they should be followed. If we don't like the rules - we vote to change them. No exceptions.

Speaking personally, I like what Victor and Nikolay are saying. I can't recall the voting at the time, but I know I was not sensitive enough to these concerns. So I am fine with stricter compliance.

Blog Entries

I think the issue in this case is that the tournament was organized in a hurry with less than ideal notice to the players and without consideration of school schedules.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I think the issue in this case is that the tournament was organized in a hurry with less than ideal notice to the players and without consideration of school schedules.
    That was exactly the issue, Vlad. Players had 6 weeks notice and when this rule was implemented I don't think anybody envisioned that possibility. I weighed the pros and cons in Eric's case. He had just accepted a work assignment that required him to be out of the country at the time of the tournament. This is different to me than someone who conducts ongoing lessons in their hometown.

Having said that I am interested in a straw poll or the motion being revisited.

We should amend the Handbook so that the rules covers the possibility of insufficient notice to the players. The slots which are available for every student in Canada are very rare. The Women Zonal will use the December 26th time slot. Easter break is not an option because it is the most important religious holy day of the year for all Christians. Spring Break is not synchronized even between Quebec universities. July is the Canadian Open and CYCC time and in summer, many students do work to pay the tuition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    We should amend the Handbook so that the rules covers the possibility of insufficient notice to the players. The slots which are available for every student in Canada are very rare. The Women Zonal will use the December 26th time slot. Easter break is not an option because it is the most important religious holy day of the year for all Christians. Spring Break is not synchronized even between Quebec universities. July is the Canadian Open and CYCC time and in summer, many students do work to pay the tuition.
    Timing is always an issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123