Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4G. Master's Representative's Report

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bérubé
    List of tournaments who needs an organizer

Somebody can tell me what tournament needs an organizer for 2017 ?
    Women Championship ?
    Canadian Closed (Zonal) ?
    Junior ?

The FQE can surely organize one or two of those.
    Richard,
    The post above was made by you on November 11, 2016 during Quarterly Online Meeting.
    At the same Meeting you was asked to organize Canadian Closed.
    Since November everybody was sure that FQE will organize Canadian Closed and was waiting for your announcement, which came only in May.

Why do you say now you had only 6 weeks to organize it?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bérubé View Post
    Mr Plotkin,

Your report concerning the Canadian Closed is completly unfair. This tournament was organized in Time pressure. Only six weeks. Nobody was interested to organize the tournament even if it was a zonal. The conditions were not perfect, but quite ok (lighting, space, parking, cafeteria on the site, bilingual web site, hotel nearby, games recorded). When you say «disaster», you probably refer to the case Sambuev-Notitsyn. This case was in fact very simple. CFC took no time to render a decision and it was supported by FIDE which is, in a way, the Supreme court of Chess.

A suggestion : as a CFC officer, you are not supposed to discourage organizers, but to help them. To have super conditions, this tournament needs at least 10 000 $ to 15 000 $ in sponsorship. This will surely boost the participation of masters. Any ideas ?

Richard Bérubé
    The word "disaster" perfectly and fairly reflects my opinion as well as opinion of many other players about this event. Indeed, incident in play-off contributed to my negative opinion. However, had the Closed have no play-off at all, I would have used the same word "disaster".

Actually, it was not only disaster, but also it was a truly unique tournament.

- probably it was the only tournament in Canada there GMs had (at least potentially) to pay entry fee,

- in was the only tournament in Canada with forfeit rate of 31% (9 out of 29 players did not finish the tournament)

- I don't remember any other tournament, where organizers allowed to player with rating 400 (!!) points below the cut-off to participate in the National Champiomship.

I agree with you, Richard. Some of conditions were normal, like lighting or air-condition. Student who fails usually doesn't score 0. He scores 10 or 20 or even 45. But the result is the same: he fails.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 08-24-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

- in was the only tournament in Canada with forfeit rate of 31% (9 out of 29 players did not finish the tournament)
    This is the withdrawal rate, not the forfeit rate. If 31% of the players have been forfeited by arbiters for any reason other then arriving at the chessboard after the default time, that would indeed have been a problem. In some countries, all the players who have withdrawn would have been suspended for three months but this penalty has been proved ineffective in preventing withdrawals.

Of course, it was the withdrawal rate, not forfeit; Victor just used inaccurate word. But organizers had different ways how to prevent these numerous withdrawals, for example:

a) not to allow players under 2200 rating at all;

or

b) to take from those players extra $300 collateral at registration, which would be returned only if the player has played all 9 games.

Of course, it was the withdrawal rate, not forfeit; Victor just used inaccurate word. But organizers had different ways how to prevent these numerous withdrawals, for example:

a) not to allow players under 2200 rating at all;

or

b) to take from those players extra $300 collateral at registration, which would be returned only if the player has played all 9 games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    That means you want to artificially increase k-factor from 10 to 11 for fast improving players. If adult player A increased his rating from 2400 to 2500 you would take him instead of another adult B with rating 2509? Not sure about it.

I remember, one year I increased my FIDE rating from 2230 to almost 2330. I lost 70 points the following year. We do not know for sure if it's a real progress, or just a random fluctuation. For juniors, it's a different story.
    I don't think players at the 2500-2550 level have these random fluctuations as much as lower players would.

I think the CFC Executive better get the next Zonal nailed down ASAP.

A good start might be to tell organizers what the rules are & how much support the CFC is prepared to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    I think the CFC Executive better get the next Zonal nailed down ASAP.

A good start might be to tell organizers what the rules are & how much support the CFC is prepared to give.
    Totally agree. It will be fantastic if Canadian Closed can be held on a yearly basis not just every two years. "Talk is easy" but "doing nothing about it" is equally easy too.

WE just need to find a way. Where there is a will there is a way
    Last edited by Gary Hua; 08-27-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12