Thread: 4M. Executive Director's Report

Blog Entries

Default 4M. Executive Director's Report

Bob has attached the Financial Statements to the Treasurer's Report.

Please post any administrative /accounting type questions here. Questions that are more policy or program related can be asked on the Treasurer's thread.

Thanks Fred.
    I see Egis has posted some questions on chesstalk, which I will paste here and answer.

From finance file:
    What is "Adjustment to deferred revenue" in Membership revenue?
    Magazine - is only 8 k in 2017 year vs 15 k in 2016. What is it deliberately not produced to save monies and be in black?

Adjustment to deferred revenue - Each year we calculate the amount of unexpired membership dues, and that amount appears on the Balance Sheet as "Deferred Revenue". For instance, if your membership expires August 1, then your have 3 months left on your membership as of April 30, so 25% of your dues (3/12) is included in "deferred revenue" and included in revenue next year.

Magazine - very few issues were published during the year, i.e.. lower costs. This was not a cost saving measure. We are continuing to encourage John to publish more frequently. A new issue is expected later this week.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 08-22-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Executive Director’s Report

My apologies, this is a little late in the meeting, but….

Memberships - we seem to be on a steady incline:

May 1, 2015 - 1,861
    May 1, 2016 - 2,065
    May 1, 2017 - 2,133
    August 1, 2017 - 2,190

On the second of every month, approx. 100+ memberships expire.
    Then membership numbers climb again till the first of the month.

As of today, August 24, memberships equal 2,172
    So, I expect another increase for September 1.

Every time I mention membership numbers, there are always questions about who is included and excluded.
    Who is included? An annual breakdown is posted on the website.
    Who is excluded? FQE members and Juniors playing exclusively in junior tournaments.

Tournament reporting - too many errors.

I have noticed an increase in the last 6 months of errors in tournament submissions.
    Amending results and recalculating ratings are time consuming.
    Please be more careful.

Not getting a response from the CFC office?

I am trying to respond ASAP to a lot of email traffic, but not always successful.
    If you don’t get a response in 48 hours, it is best to send a follow up email. It may be that your email has been buried under a flood of new emails and fallen off my radar. It is better to restate your case in full and not assume I can find your first one. (and please include CFC numbers in correspondence).

Thanks everyone,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Executive Director’s Report
    Tournament reporting - too many errors.

I have noticed an increase in the last 6 months of errors in tournament submissions.
    Amending results and recalculating ratings are time consuming.
    Please be more careful.
    Regarding this, is there a list of common mistakes that TDs make, or perhaps a checklist that TDs could go through before sending in a file? I know you've had to redo a few from Alberta this year. It might help if I had a checklist of some sort to distribute to the TDs ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Hughey View Post
    Regarding this, is there a list of common mistakes that TDs make, or perhaps a checklist that TDs could go through before sending in a file? I know you've had to redo a few from Alberta this year. It might help if I had a checklist of some sort to distribute to the TDs ahead of time.
    I am planning to begin an email group for TD's where I can share a "problem of the week", gradually get everyone on the same page.

In French, we have a TD forum http://echecsmontreal.org/ForumDesArbitres/ . You cannot see anything without a login which is given only to Certified TD.