There's no question there are a lot of FIDE-related e-mails (4 this morning which is a bit below averageO. Most of the time I check to ensure Hal's on the list and if there's something that directly relates on an individual organizer forward it on. I do read nearly all of them (and most are in English though as Vlad says by no means all).

The financial basis of the CYCC always was that lower level events were supposed to provide travel costs for the higher level events with CYCC funds used to fund travel to WYCC. What has happened is that there are a lot more international events than was the case 10 and 20 years ago. I have always had strong reservations about allowing well-heeled parents to basically buy their kids' way into WYCC and other events - but I do understand the financial basis for it. The difference then and now is that then funds requests were ONLY coming for CYCC/WYCC events whereas this is not now the case.

I once had a junior coordinator ready to punch me when I said "the true test of the worth of the junior program will be 10 years from now how many of these kids are still active in chess". I then listed the kids that graduated from the junior program of my day - about a dozen players now of expert strength and higher from the Vancouver area (not all of which still in Vancouver but active elsewhere) plus myself (NOT an expert or higher but definitely active!) Believed it then and still do.

The rating fee break we give juniors is an investment in tomorrow - it's certainly insufficient to fund junior events now.

I have never seen a request for IAs either and as one you can be assured I'm personally interested. Vancouver tends to be deepest Siberia with respect to FIDE opportunities!