Thread: 4. Executive Reports

Default 4. Executive Reports

To all members of the Executive, CFC Officers and Committee Chairs - please post your reports in your own thread as labelled in the agenda

My posting permission tells me that I may not start new posts
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

I look forward to your report Paul. I am not sure if this is the right place to discuss this but the matter of under rated juniors seems to be getting worse. We have players now rated as low as 200. This has a toxic effect on the ratings of new players who play them. While it is great to see new players in the game, I wonder if new measures are in order. For example, a FIDE style rating floor where players who fail to perform at 1000 remain unrated. We could set our own floor, and maybe the lower rated players could receive their rating but be deemed unrated in the rating calculations.

There is no shortage of anecdotes on this subject. When I started playing in 1980 my first rating was over 1500. There is no way I played better than the top players I teach now, who are mired in the 3 digit spin cycle. Under rated players are bad for business.

Vice-President's Report

The position of Vice-President in the CFC, like in most organizations, requires one to be able to step into the breach as president, if required. It is also incumbent upon the office holder to participate in executive discussions and provide the best advice that he or she can on any matters at hand. In this role, I try to ensure that all sides of an issue are examined and occasionally find myself being the dissenting voice on the executive. An executive where all members are in lock step can become myopic. I think it behooves the Federation to have an executive with diverse points of view. This year we had the anomalous event of hearing an appeal of a decision by the National Appeals Committee. A full and frank discussion was held. I have explained my vote in other threads so I will not repeat it here. I hope to serve in this capacity next year. If the Voting Members’ choose otherwise, I would like to thank them in advance for the privilege it has been to serve as Vice-President of the CFC.

Blog Entries

I think it is good to have multiple points of view represented on the board. I'm happy to see you running again, Ken.