Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10.3 CFC email magazine discussion

I for one do not intend to join Facebook simply to get the CFC Magazine. If anything i want to come to the CFC website to access CFC content. Do not force someone to join something to gain access to a service he is already paying for.

Having said that these days it appears that organization need to have a Facebook presence. Perhaps this is where our online newsfeed belongs?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    I for one do not intend to join Facebook simply to get the CFC Magazine. If anything i want to come to the CFC website to access CFC content. Do not force someone to join something to gain access to a service he is already paying for.

Having said that these days it appears that organization need to have a Facebook presence. Perhaps this is where our online newsfeed belongs?
    You need to have a facebook account to access the hundreds or perhaps thousands of photos we have posted there recently. There is no intention of posting the magazine there. You might post the content of the magazine on a blog which would probably be hosted on our website.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hua View Post
    Personally, I feel that the current issues should not be more than 3 months late otherwise, players/readers will have lost the interest to read much of it. As in any magazines in the stand, do we buy outdated magazines ?

I agree that the contents are very good but somehow it loses it's value if it is one year late.
    Absolutely agree.

Great work by John Upper -- far too LATE.

In the "information age" where everything is just a click away -- the CFC is stuck a year behind in a permanent "backlog". Time to press the "RESET" button.

While I am a Facebook user I very much support Garland's point of view. I have a couple of major vendors who want me to access a "confidential e-mail service" to access my monthly invoice from them. Given their files come in a executable compressed format I refuse but since I regularly go onto their website to retrieve my bill that way and thereby keep payments up to date they've never bothered me.

Had there not been this method I would be having a conversation with my sales rep essentially making Garland's points but on steroids - as in we don't have the right to insist people make use of an outside server not controlled by ourselves. But I would be much less polite in making that point! LC

PS - I would greatly prefer the format of something like The Week in Chess / The BC Bulletin (basically the same format) to what we presently have.

Is there going to be any decision on this issue ? CFC E-magazine ?

My preference would be a single printed "yearbook issue" which would be a combination of welcome wagon, club listings, perhaps our top player listings and marquee articles/highlights of the year. This would be free to all members and perhaps mailed out to any new members who join during the following year. The current arrangement would be scaled back to a beefed up news feed in order to keep the budget roughly the same.

I don't believe that the perceived value of our e-zine matches the money invested. I wonder how many members even bother to read it. I know I do not. A single hard copy per year would register with the members IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    My preference would be a single printed "yearbook issue" which would be a combination of welcome wagon, club listings, perhaps our top player listings and marquee articles/highlights of the year. This would be free to all members and perhaps mailed out to any new members who join during the following year. The current arrangement would be scaled back to a beefed up news feed in order to keep the budget roughly the same.

I don't believe that the perceived value of our e-zine matches the money invested. I wonder how many members even bother to read it. I know I do not. A single hard copy per year would register with the members IMO.
    I agree with Hal on this issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12