Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9. BIDS FOR 2016/2017 Events

Blog Entries

There is interest in Windsor in putting on the North American Youth Chess Championship next summer. The exact timing will depend on the timing of the CYCC and Canadian Open.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The CO/CYCC 2017 bid questions might concern the dates and the addendum about possibly having a seven day CYCC which will require consultation with players/parents to determine whether this is an acceptable change from the usual format.
    Hi Vlad, I alluded to the following in another post, and I think this philosophy could be also be applied here. First of all, if someone asked me to bet the mortgage on whether the CYCC should be 4 days or 7 days, I would choose 4 days. Second, if I were presented with 2 CYCC bids, where one was for 4 days, and the other for 7 days, then all other things being equal, I would pick 4 days. In other words, in my personal judgment, 7 days for a CYCC is not the best idea. But here's my point, SO WHAT?! Rather than go with what VMs, or Governors, or Executive, or parents say, why not leave the out-of-box thinking to the Organizers? For example, I would think that the people considering 7 days for the 2017 CYCC would do some market research! I think they'll probably find out what you and I think, which is that 4 days would be better, but why not give Organizers the freedom to even consider such alternative ideas, to prove what the market really wants, and/or will bear?! In my humble opinion, when we receive bids (and we're not getting many of them), and one of the first things we do is say "well, we have to ask so-and-so whether this is acceptable", etc., we are eroding the initiative not just of that Organizer, but of other potential Organizers who are out there watching. I think we should feel free to provide suggestions regarding a bid (to not do so would be irresponsible), but I would like us to try liberating the environment that Organizers think they're looking at. In that other thread where I wrote along similar lines, I mentioned the Quebec Open and North Bay. Both of those events have/had approaches that would be rejected by very experienced chess people. For example, the Quebec Open does not rotate locations like most "National" championships, nor is it truly an Open like the Canadian. And North Bay was nowhere near a major city, and the schedule and time controls could be gruelling. But those events somehow succeeded. Somehow those Organizers built a complete package that worked. So I say if we have only one bid for the CYCC and they want to make it 7 days, we support their innovative spirit, AND EVERYONE WILL LEARN FROM THEIR RESULTS. I say that if the only bid for the CO is 7 rounds over the Canada Day long weekend (I'm totally making that up, not actually suggesting it), then why not try it?! Two positive things will come out of it: 1) we will have a CO, rather than not having one AT ALL (this point should hurt our collective feelings), and 2) other potential Organizers will feel free to come forward WITHOUT THE SHACKLES OF BEING OVER-REVIEWED, etc.

Just my 86 cents worth ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There is interest in Windsor in putting on the North American Youth Chess Championship next summer. The exact timing will depend on the timing of the CYCC and Canadian Open.
    Vlad, I've been involved as Chief Arbiter or Deputy Chief at many NAYCCs in Canada and the States, and I think you have a superb team in Windsor that would do a great job!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Vlad, I've been involved as Chief Arbiter or Deputy Chief at many NAYCCs in Canada and the States, and I think you have a superb team in Windsor that would do a great job!
    Thanks Aris! I think so too.

Much as I have fond memories of a certain Canadian Junior in the Ft Garry Hotel in Winnipeg some 30 years ago Aris is right to prefer a shorter to a longer junior event. Getting good representation from across the country is tough enough without stretching out the tournament. It would certainly be much easier if spring / Easter break were the same in all provinces but the political realities of this country are such that that isn't ever going to happen.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234