Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9b. Bids: 2015 cycc

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    They even vary within a province and between school systems.
    In Ontario, the spring break is common to ALL school systems and levels (elementary and secondary).
    It is true that one year in the past the Toronto Catholic and Public systems had different weeks.
    I don't believe that they will do that again, as there was much controversy over the situation for both teachers and parents.

Some Independent Schools have additional days, but all include the main week.

The Ontario March Break is - by Ministry regulation - the week of March which includes the Ides (March 15).
    Last edited by Christopher Field; 07-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.

The Canadian Junior used to be run in the Christmas holiday, which is I believe common to all provinces and school systems.
    Perhaps that date (Dec 20 - Jan 4) or the most appropriate days therein would be too early for CYCC?

In 2015, Easter is Fri Apr 3 - Mon Apr 6.
    This would be a common holiday time for all provinces and school systems.
    It is a major, obligatory, religious time for Christians.
    However, it has also traditionally been a time for major chess tournaments:
    Toronto Open, New York, possibly others.
    Last edited by Christopher Field; 07-12-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I look forward to seeing your bid.
    Vlad, what's a point in seeing my bid, if you're pushing your bid for approval?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    In Ontario, the spring break is common to ALL school systems and levels (elementary and secondary).
    It is true that one year in the past the Toronto Catholic and Public systems had different weeks.
    I don't believe that they will do that again, as there was much controversy over the situation for both teachers and parents.

The Ontario March Break is - by Ministry regulation - the week of March which includes the Ides (March 15).
    Thank you, Chris, for information!

In 2015 March 15 is Sunday, so, March Break is from Sat March 8 to Sun March 15 - or from Sat March 14 to Sun March 22 ?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    As a Vancouverite who has lived in Toronto let me state bluntly that there is a tendency to survey folks in the Toronto area and then state that the survey fairly represents the whole country - it wasn't true when I lived there and it's not so now either. Torontonians do not as a group tend to fully appreciate how much that assumption annoys the heck out of the rest of us!
    Lyle, that's why we need working Youth Committee, representing different parts of Canada.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

That is fine for Ontario but what about the other provinces and territories. Are we supposed to ignore the fact that their March break is different than ours? Airlines tend to jack up fares around March break. We seem to be on our way to building credibility of CYCC as a national championship. Should we take a step back from that? Should it become OYCC 2? I would suggest not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Vlad, what's a point in seeing my bid, if you're pushing your bid for approval?
    It is not my bid. It is the bid of the Windsor parents and organizers who supported the 2011 Thornhill CYCC in record numbers including providing the sets and clocks that were used at the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Chris, for information!

In 2015 March 15 is Sunday, so, March Break is from Sat March 8 to Sun March 15 - or from Sat March 14 to Sun March 22 ?
    As I said, the Break is the WEEK which includes the Ides of March.
    Since a week starts on Sunday, the March Break will of course be Sat Mar 14 - Sun Mar 22.

A brief survey of spring breaks across the Dominion (excluding the territories for now):
    Note: when I mention a city, I found nothing on the provincial ministry site and checked one city school board.

BC (at least Vancouver): Sat Mar 7 - Sun Mar 22 (2 weeks!)
    ON - all schools: Sat Mar 14 - Sun Mar 22
    NS (at least Halifax): Sat Mar 14 - Sun Mar 22
    PEI: Sat Mar 14 - Sun Mar 22

PQ (at least Montreal): Sat Feb 28 - Sun Mar 8
    NB: Sat Feb 28 - Sun Mar 8

SASK (at least Saskatoon): Fri Apr 3 - Sun Apr 12
    NFLD: Fri Apr 3 - Sun Apr 12

ALTA (at least Edmonton): Sat Mar 28 - Sun Apr 5
    MAN (at least Winnipeg): Sat Mar 28 - Sun Apr 5

Hence: The only common holiday in the spring is Easter week-end: Fri Apr 3 - Sun Apr 5.
    Easter Monday Apr 6 is a holiday in Ontario only.

Chris Field,
    Voting Member (Ontario - GTCL)

A brief survey of spring breaks across the Dominion (excluding the territories for now):
    Note: when I mention a city, I found nothing on the provincial ministry site and checked one city school board.

BC (at least Vancouver): Sat Mar 7 - Sun Mar 22 (2 weeks!)
    ON - all schools: Sat Mar 14 - Sun Mar 22
    NS (at least Halifax): Sat Mar 14 - Sun Mar 22
    PEI: Sat Mar 14 - Sun Mar 22

PQ (at least Montreal): Sat Feb 28 - Sun Mar 8
    NB: Sat Feb 28 - Sun Mar 8

SASK (at least Saskatoon): Fri Apr 3 - Sun Apr 12
    NFLD: Fri Apr 3 - Sun Apr 12

ALTA (at least Edmonton): Sat Mar 28 - Sun Apr 5
    MAN (at least Winnipeg): Sat Mar 28 - Sun Apr 5

Hence: The only common holiday in the spring is Easter week-end: Fri Apr 3 - Sun Apr 5.
    Easter Monday Apr 6 is a holiday in Ontario only.

Chris Field,
    Voting Member (Ontario - GTCL)
    Thank you, Chris!

It looks like in 2015 the most appropriate dates for CYCC are Thu Mar 19 - Sun Mar 22.
    But since CYCC 2015 is already awarded to Windsor, and Windsor organizers prefer July, this point is moot.

Could you please collect the same data for 2016?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast