Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6. Officer and Committee Reports

In fairness, technical discussions going back at LEAST as far as the presidency of Francisco Cabanas have been going on at irregular intervals on this subject. The methodology for comparing ratings is well known and it's largely an element of statistics. There are lots of legitimate reasons why there would be some differences - for my money the important thing is that the average rating in the rating pool remains level since generally players enter the rating pool, improve their chess which shows in the rating and eventually leaves (some of us quicker than others).

To address Felix's point, I believe it would be neccessary to tabulate and compare the CFC, FQE, and FIDE ratings of CFC and FQE members with more than one rating. One could then compare the ratings with reasonable certainty, although other factors might come into play.

Just as an exercise, I looked up Sambuev's CFC and FIDE ratings. The gap is narrowing. In May 2011, hir CFC rating was 2753, and today it is 2727. Meanwhile his FIDE rating was 2515 and now it is 2571. So the gap has narrowed by 86 points. I know that this is only one person but it is one indicator that things may be improving.

I also believe the FIDE/CFC gap is very slowly narrowing for the top players. I think having more events rated under both systems would help.
    Kevin Pacey recently posted a link to the USCF Rating System which includes a conversion formula for CFC to USCF ratings. The difference varies by rating level.
    I would certainly support a merger of CFC and FQE ratings. Hey, I might even lose my job
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Tournament coordinator report Richard Bérubé

Organizor in Halifax will not be able to put in place a bid for WYCC and Canadian Open 2015 because of lack of sponsorship

Here is the letter sent by Mr. Stirling Dorrance on march 18 of this year :

«Hello Everyone,
    I had planned to send this e-mail just after New Years, but in early January I had found what I thought would be our major sponsor...but alas, once again a no go
    So, it is with great disappointment and regret that I have to inform you that I will no longer be able to follow up with the potential bid to host the CYCC/CO for 2015 in Halifax.
    When I had first looked into the possibility hosting (this past summer 2013), there were many positive components:
    First off, I had found 3 potential businesses ( minor sponsors) interested in making financial contributions. I felt that along with this, if I could find a major sponsor, we could host in 2015.
    Secondly, I had been given a very attractive and gracious offer from Félix Dumont (and the FQE) to assist in our bid to host-- the offer consisted of equipment, advertising and financial assistance.
    However, in the past few months, all three of my potential minor sponsors have backed out and I have yet to find a major sponsor. So not withstanding the gracious offer of assistance from the FQE, having found no sponsors (major or minor), the entry fees we would have to charge, to potentially break even, would be above and beyond what Ottawa had charged in 2013.
    I feel that with these extremely high entrance fees we would have to charge, we would make our 2015 event to costly for many players to attend.
    So in light of this (and other organizational issues), I find there are too many factors against us, thus making it necessary to withdraw Halifax as a potential host of the CYCC/CO 2015.

I thank you for your time and understanding,

Stirling »

So, we are still in searching mode for an organizor for those tournaments.

Richard Bérubé
    Tournament coordinator

Blog Entries

Thank you Richard for that report.

We are in our usual position of looking for organizers of several major tournaments.

It's a shame. I was looking forward to getting to Halifax next year.
    Paul Leblanc
    CFC Voting Member

Over time where you have geographically separated pools of players ratings can move out of synch. I remember one case about 25 years ago where Manitoba ratings had become badly deflated and there had briefly been talk of a MB rating boon - but the Canadian Open was in Winnipeg that year and nearly all the Manitoba players played well above their ratings and that was the end of the talk of a rating boon!

In general when you have a pool of players with roughly an equal number moving in and out of tournament play ratings DO deflate because nearly everybody who quits quits at a higher rating than they started with - which is hardly surprising since most players do learn from their earlier tournaments games and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    To address Felix's point, I believe it would be neccessary to tabulate and compare the CFC, FQE, and FIDE ratings of CFC and FQE members with more than one rating. One could then compare the ratings with reasonable certainty, although other factors might come into play.

Just as an exercise, I looked up Sambuev's CFC and FIDE ratings. The gap is narrowing. In May 2011, hir CFC rating was 2753, and today it is 2727. Meanwhile his FIDE rating was 2515 and now it is 2571. So the gap has narrowed by 86 points. I know that this is only one person but it is one indicator that things may be improving.
    Two points in relation to Garland's posting: (1) CFC, FQE and FIDE events tend to be played under different conditions not least of which being time controls - for some players this is a bigger deal than others (2) one must not assume that in a particular geographical area there is a single rating pool with identical characteristics over the range 1000-2800. Mr Sambuev plays few non-masters while your average 10 year old is unlikely to play any. Juniors in areas where multiple rating systems are in place can also see huge swings - if a 12 year old establishes a CFC rating, plays in AEM or ICC events for 3 years and comes back to CFC events it is highly possible the 15 year old could be playing two full rating classes above their previous strength. I well remember one tournament about 15 years ago where I (a longtime borderline A/B player) had the tournament of my life beating one FIDE master, two experts, drawing an expert and losing to an A player (! that last game was one of those wild Sicilians where it was clear the game was simply not going to be drawn and one false move would determine the game), gaining about 150 rating points but in my very next event losing to two 1400 rated brothers who had spent all summer playing 50+ games a day on ICC ....

Fact is an essential assumption of most rating systems is that all serious games will be rated under the same system - and this hasn't been the case for at least 15 years. It's one of the biggest problems ratings auditors in Canada and the US face.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    In general when you have a pool of players with roughly an equal number moving in and out of tournament play ratings DO deflate because nearly everybody who quits quits at a higher rating than they started with - which is hardly surprising since most players do learn from their earlier tournaments games and improve.
    The bonus system compensates loss of rating points by quitting players.
    .*-1

Regional Rating Disparity: At the 2012 Canadian Open in Victoria, BC players collectively gained over 2400 rating points.
    Paul Leblanc
    CFC Voting Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast