Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9. New Business

Blog Entries

A separate thread will be started at the next meeting in April.

Are you not allowing this motion to come to a vote at this meeting?

Blog Entries

I am making a ruling that discussion and a vote on this motion shall be deferred to the April meeting. By that time I hope the requirements, timelines and deadlines for registering for WYCC 2014 will be more clear and we will have a better idea of how to proceed with the implementation of this new rule, in the event that it is accepted by the governors. The time between determination of the WYCC champions and the need for the champions and all other prospective players to commit to going is likely to be quite short. It is possible that the deadline for registering for WYCC may be before the end of the CYCC if this year's organizers have a deadline similar to last year's which was two months before the scheduled start of WYCC.

I fail to see how the debate over an addition of this sentence to the regulations requires any additional information, let alone need to be put off to April. What is the point of a new business section if the new business is not going to be dealt with at the meeting?

Blog Entries

There are notification requirements for adding items to an agenda for an online meeting. These matters were discussed on the governors forum and could easily have been added to the agenda. They were not added in a timely manner.

I really think that we should concentrate on the iceberg (NFPA) protruding from the CFC hull and deal with questions on the optimal arrangement of the deck chairs after we have resolved the existential questions which that iceberg poses. I have no doubt that some of the governors might question my priorities.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 01-07-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Procedures for governors' online meetings

PROCEDURES FOR GOVERNORS' ONLINE MEETINGS

22A. 1) The Meeting [Motion 2010-18]:

i) Meetings shall be held publicly [Motion 2013-N (McKim/Bond)] on the CFC Governors' Discussion Board.

With a majority vote of Executive members a motion or discussion at a meeting may be started in the private forum as a confidential discussion. Such discussion may be made public by 2/3 majority vote of the Governors (via a properly seconded motion, which is also confidential until such time as it passes). Such a motion must be moved and seconded within the timelines of the meeting and a vote must be held within two weeks, if it is not possible during the meeting. [Motion 2013-N Amendment (Mallon/Zeromskis)]

ii) Meetings shall be held from the 1st to the 7th of every third month, beginning with the CFC AGM in July [See Motion 2013-M (McKim/Bond)]. The meeting will start at 11:00AM on the 1st and conclude at 10:00PM on the 7th (subject to a motion ammendment extension). All times in this section are Eastern Time.

iii) There shall be a quorum of 15 governors to constitute a meeting.

iv) Motions will be passed during meetings, and such meeting extensions as may be required due to amending motions.

v) The President, or someone designated by him/her as an alternate, shall chair the meeting.

vi) The Posting Secretary will post the agenda items to be dealt with.

vii) Proposed agenda items will be sent to the Secretary by 6:00 PM, two days before the start of the meeting. The Secretary will assemble these suggestions and forward them to the President. The President shall draw up the meeting final agenda (he may consult with the Secretary in doing this). The President shall publish the agenda as soon as possible, before the meeting.

2) The Role of the Chairperson:

i) The Chair will decide on procedural matters such as motions of order, when to close agenda items, whether to add items to the agenda after the deadline, adjournment, etc.

ii) The President shall initially abstain on all motion votes. However, in case of a tie vote on motions or elections, he shall have the tie-breaking vote.

3) The Role of the Posting Secretary: The Posting Secretary, or his/her designated alternate, shall be made a Governors’ Discussion Board Administrator. S/he shall post the meeting agenda, discussion threads and motion voting threads on the Governors’ Discussion Board as follows:

i) Posting of Meeting Agenda – As soon as the Secretary can, s/he shall post the agenda on both the Governors’ Discussion Board, and the members’ CFC Chess Forum.

ii) Agenda Items – each agenda item shall be a new thread. The opening agenda item will be “Those Present“, where governors will sign in. It will be a “sticky“ so it remains at the top of the page. The second last agenda item will be “New Business“. The Chair will instruct the Posting Secretary whether to open a new thread on “New Business“ items proposed (i.e. whether there is sufficient meeting time left to deal with the item; etc.)

iii) Agenda Item Introductions – the Posting Secretary will post any preliminary introduction statement, giving relevant facts and issues, as the first post under agenda item headings. These will have been developed by the Secretary, in consultation with the agenda item proposer, in advance of the meeting.

iv) Motions – motions will be “stickies“ at the top of the page, and will only be used for recording governor votes. No voting on motions can occur until after 9:00PM on the 4th, to allow for initial discussion, and the filing of amending motions. After voting on motions has commenced, there can be no amending of the motion. Motions voting closes at 6:00PM on the 7th. Discussion of motions will be under normal agenda item headings.

v) Amending Motions – motions to amend a tabled motion may be introduced up to 6:00PM on the 3rd. A discussion thread for them shall be started. They shall be voted on by the normal motion vote closing time – 6:00PM on the 7th. Once an amending motion is filed, the main motion sought to be amended shall be temporarily closed, pending the outcome of the amending motion.

vi) Motion Meeting-Extension – where a motion has been “closed“ due to an amending motion, as soon after 6:00PM on the 7th as possible, the Posting Secretary will reopen the motion, or if amended, start a new thread on voting on the amended motion. There will no longer be a discussion thread for the unamended motion nor a new one started for the amended motion. The meeting will then be extended to 6:00PM on the 10th to vote on this motion(s) (and for no other business). Voting on this motion(s) shall be closed at 6:00PM on the 10th.

4) Agenda Item Summary: At 9:00AM on the 6th, or as soon thereafter as possible, the President, or the Posting Secretary if asked by the President, will post a summary of the agenda item discussion, setting out the critical points and the majority view, if any, on any controversial issue. S/he will propose what action might be taken on the agenda item, if any, in his/her opinion. Governors will have until 9:00PM on the 7th to respond to the President’s Summary. Whether the President or Posting Secretary summarizes discussions during a meeting extension is optional.

5) Vote Results: As soon after the close of voting on motions as possible, the Posting Secretary will post the results of all motions, giving the names of governors and their vote, and confirm whether the motion passed or failed (e.g. whether constitutional amendments achieved the 2/3 majority needed) on the Governors’ Discussion Board and the members’ CFC Chess Forum. [Motion 2011-D]

6) Meeting Minutes: [Eliminated as a consequence of Motion 2013-N (McKim/Bond) and Motion 2013-O (McKim/Bond), which make meetings public and replace Governors' Letters with quarterly voting ledgers, respectively]

7) Governors' Letters: [Replaced with quarterly voting ledgers as a consequence of Motion 2013-O (McKim/Bond). These ledgers contain the full voting record of the Assembly of Governors for the term and are provided between meetings. As outlined in (6), above, Meeting Minutes are not made available]The Governors’ On-line Meetings, will replace the tradition of motions being discussed and voted on in Governors’ Letters. Motions filed will now be for the next Governors’ Meeting, unless dealt with by e-mail.

23. That in the event a governor’s vote is needed outside the times of the regular online meetings and AGM, such a vote will take place on the governors’ private discussion forum following not fewer than 72 hours of exclusive discussion time on that forum. An email must be sent to all governors at the start of discussion giving them a direct link to the discussion, with the same happening as of the start of voting. [Motion 2013-Q (Mallon/Craft)]

Blog Entries

There's no rush. Precedent is that any changes made to qualification rules would not take effect for the current qualification cycle, so this change wouldn't even take effect until 2015. April is plenty soon enough.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    There's no rush. Precedent is that any changes made to qualification rules would not take effect for the current qualification cycle, so this change wouldn't even take effect until 2015. April is plenty soon enough.
    That is exactly my thought on the matter.

I don't think Yelizaveta realizes what can happen when she writes "Also, if I go as a coach next year, I will not have any problems being a guardian for anyone 14 years and older. If the budget towards having a family member to come is hectic, the child can use myself or another coach as a guardian."

I run a scout venturers troup for six boys, ages 15 and 16. To do this for Scouts Canada I needed FIVE character references, both male and female, undergo interviews, and go though a full police check. In addition I have to go through tens of hours of online training. All for good reason. The liabilities associated with being responsible for youths are horrendous. If something ever went wrong on one of these events, the repercussions could destroy the CFC.

I'm sure the CFC Youth Commitee is well aware of these concerns and follows some set of rules and guidelines. However just compare the two organizations and you will see just how poorly protected we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    I'm sure the CFC Youth Commitee is well aware of these concerns and follows some set of rules and guidelines.
    Well, maybe the CFC Youth Commitee is well aware of these concerns, but the CFC Governors still aren't aware who are on the CFC Youth Commitee...

Is it a secret?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast