Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7D. Seniors Memberships (Barron / Armstrong)

I'm not sure that seniors are a group waiting to join tournament chess. If they are, and cost is a factor, chess is already cheap - compared to other possible hobbies. And I agree with others that CFC costs are not a significant line item in a tournament player's overall costs.

Nevertheless... A senior discount might encourage current players who are older (and perhaps play much less often than they used to) to keep renewing their CFC memberships (since they would now have a discount or could look forward soon to having one) rather than letting it lapse. I think a decrease in attrition, though, would take a while to compensate for the sudden drop in revenue.

What method of proof of age is being proposed? What proof is required for other senior discounts - transit, etc.?
    Marcus Wilker
    (Annex Chess Club, Toronto)
    GTCL Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    One thing I haven't heard yet is how the proponents plan on collecting date of birth information. Presumably as part of membership renewals on the same basis as juniors BUT just like juniors it needs to be clear to organizers that the fact that an event has the word senior or junior in the number necessarily "proves" a particular date of birth.
    Lyle, you're absolutely right - the person, who is willing to buy a Senior membership has to prove his age - on the same basis as juniors.
    Just to clarify: what is needed is not date of birth (some people see revealing it as a privacy concern), but year of birth.
    The proposed Motion says:
    "Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who has reached the age of 65 by January 1st of the current year, shall be granted a Senior membership".
    So, if a person was born in 1948 or earlier, he has reached the age of 65 by January 1st 2014, and could buy Senior membership in 2014 and later.
    You could see that FIDE publish year of birth for every player in the FIDE rating list.
    We could do the same in the CFC rating list.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Hi Marcus;

All over 65 years old get an OAS card from the federal government. It is a blue one (no photo), with a picture of the federal Parliament Building. I have mine.

I could easily show it, along with my driver's licence (photo) to show identity - no problem to get a discount (but not relevant to me personally, as a LIFE member).

Bob A

Blog Entries

I think a better approach is to let organizers have a reduced entry fee for seniors. $2,000 loss of revenue is significant considering that we generally only have $5-8,000 of discretionary funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think a better approach is to let organizers have a reduced entry fee for seniors. $2,000 loss of revenue is significant considering that we generally only have $5-8,000 of discretionary funds.
    Fred, at the Toronto Seniors Championship, where this issue came up, the entry fees are:
    $20 - for seniors 50+,
    $15 - for seniors 60+,
    $10 - for seniors 70+.

How much would you reduce such entry fees?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I'm still uneasy about the loss of income in an organization that barely breakes even financially.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

There are some additional consequences that have not yet been addressed. For the purposes of allocating funding, and determining numbers of governors representing various regions, I understand that Junior memberships count less.

Would this mean that Senior memberships would also count less - i.e., regions that had a relatively greater number of Senior members would now have less representation (fewer CFC governors) under the proposed change?
    Marcus Wilker
    (Annex Chess Club, Toronto)
    GTCL Secretary

Governors have always been allocated according to the Per Capita Fee method outlined in the Handbook so I would expect a reduced fee would be reflected there. This is how it currently works on the Family Membership class. (Which was originally intended so to give multiple members in the same household the option to get only one copy of EP)

The only time something like this has come up in recent years was in relation to Honorary Members who are mostly FIDE title-holders. Several of them (mostly the IAs) were already Life Members and by the formula then in use Honorary members did NOT count towards Governor allocation. (In two years in the 1990s BC lost a Governor for this reason - as then BCCF Secretary I was somewhat perturbed on this!) Besides this we have numerous FIDE title holders who under our rules are entitled to Honorary Membership which has never been granted since the individuals were already Life Members - Lynn Stringer and myself are two and I know there are others.

We eventually came to the rule that Honorary members would be treated in all respects including the Governor calculation in the same manner as a Life Member who for the Governor count is the same as a Regular member.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123