Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3. President's welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    My impression is that things are broken and hence the attempt to fix it.
    No. The system of regular weekly rating updates on Wednesday has been running smoothly since December 2007.
    It isn’t broke, why is Michael trying to fix it?

I can have a conversation with Michael about the reasoning behind the changes (update the ratings by Friday and update membership data by Monday). It is Michael's attempt to organize the work that he has to get done in a way that makes sense to him.
    So, you haven’t spoken to Michael yet?
    I would like to hear Michael’s reason for the change. I am confident I can easily convince him that updating both ratings and memberships on Wednesday is easier and better. It really is a no brainer.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 10-11-2013 at 09:26 AM.

If the ratings being updated on a Friday is a concern for someone why not just use the ratings from the previous Friday?
    Both players and TD’s would be unhappy about using old ratings. Complaints would eventually force TD’s to use the most recent Friday ratings and thus some late nights before game time. Please go back to wednesday updates.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    So, you haven’t spoken to Michael yet?
    I would like to hear Michael’s reason for the change. I am confident I can easily convince him that updating both ratings and memberships on Wednesday is easier and better. It really is a no brainer.
    You are welcome to talk to him. I have been exchanging emails with him. I will be talking with him shortly either on skype or the phone. This morning I had my lesson with Viktor Gavrikov, sent out several emails related to CYCC, talked to someone on the phone about issues related to a future Toronto YCC, am waiting for a CBC Windsor television reporter to arrive to do an interview on Windsor chess and the WYCC. There is a local CBC radio interview from last week which is airing today which will probably result in a bunch of new kids looking to start chess lessons. Last night while I was teaching my beginner/intermediate class they were at my student Rohan Talukdar's house interviewing him and his parents. The parents invited me to attend but I couldn't leave the class and now I am checking in on the governors meeting. As you know from personal experience the CFC president tends to stay busy especially when he is involved in local chess along with the national responsibilities.

I don't feel strongly on this issue of Friday versus Wednesday but am willing to listen to what you and the governors and our executive director have to say on the issue.

Is this a discussion about the terms of an individual's employment? If it is maybe it should not be discussed in a public forum. Ultimately, terms of employment are a management responsibility ie. the executive.
    Last edited by Ken Craft; 10-11-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    Is this a discussion about the terms of an individual's employment? If it is maybe it should not be discussed in a public forum? Ultimately, terms of employment are a management responsibility ie. the executive.
    I don't think that it is a discussion about the terms of an individual's employment yet. I agree with what you are saying in the last two sentences of your statement.

Blog Entries

I don't see it as a term of employment. The work needs to be and is being done, the question is more one of policy: when should new ratings be available?

I happen to agree that ratings and memberships should be available by the time people wake up on Thursdays. Of course the whole system should have been automated years ago, but even under the current system I think this represents the best compromise.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I'm with Bob - I'd much rather see ratings updated regularly (preferably weekly if that can be maintained, twice weekly otherwise). When I was directing constantly I fielded questions from players all the time on the rating system and I told them but I also told them they could do it themselves with a calculator reasonably quickly and accurately.

Besides an ED is ALWAYS wrestling with the fact that some TDs are faster to submit reports than others and short of every tournament using online boards posting to the web (which even were it possible isn't my idea of a tournament I'd want to play in) you're never going to get it exact.

All a rating is is a best estimate of your strength at that time. Players routinely play 50 pts above or below their ratings and less commonly up to 200 above or below. You never know which player you are shaking hands with when you sit down to play!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12