Thread: 5L. Tournament Co-Ordinator's Report

Blog Entries

Default 5L. Tournament Co-Ordinator's Report

Taken from 5. Executive Reports.

Tournament Coordinator report ( Non-Executive Officer ) - Pierre Dénommée

I have given to the Assembly of Governors the list of all changes required to the Canadian Zonal.

I have translated the new FIDE Laws of Chess, but FIDE has decided to delay the application until July 1st 2014. I was told that there will be few changes, so most of this work is not lost.

FIDE title and FIDE rating rules will change as scheduled on July 1st 2013.

On July 1st 2012, FIDE enacted new tiebreak rules. The most important change is the adjustment that is to be made in case of a forfeit win or a forfeit loss.

FIDE has made fundamental changes to the title by registration rules. Consequently, the next Zonal will likely produce les FM and IM. The current rules are that one player with a score of at least 2/3 can receive the IM title and two players with a score of at least 50% can receive the FM title. With the new rules, the Zonal as been renamed a sub Continental. The IM title is offered only to the first three players. There is a possibility for three IM but this is extremely unlikely with the actual number of GM and IM in Canada. If the first three players of the Zonal are either GM or IM, Canada will get no IM title. The FM title now requires a 65% score and a minimum of 9 games but there is no longer any limit on the number of FM that can be achieved in the Zonal. Although there is no limit, it is quite obvious that there will be less FM with the new rules.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...5&view=article

I do support the Canadian League Championship but the responsibility for this project rest with the Canadian League Commissioner.

The next Canadian Championship should not be a Zonal. For the next year, complying with FIDE rules will be my priority if you elect me. Bidders for the next Zonal should be aware that FIDE now prefers that both men and women compete simultaneously in a Zonal. The Zone President could probably get us an exemption.

Apart from my official functions, I have done some testing on an online LTD test and the results are satisfactory. It can be done if the CFC authorizes it.

Blog Entries

From Hal Bond

Thank you Pierre for your excellent summary of changes to our Zonal. I have a few comments:

1. Zonals have not been renamed Sub Continentals. Although they have the same title /norm specs, Zonals qualify players directly to the World Cup and Sub Continentals to not.

2. Staging our Men's and Women's Zonals together is not necessary. This is a "general rule" and not binding at all.

3. Our next Canadian Championship may very well be a Zonal Championship. Following Norway, the next World Cup is slated for 2015. The Womens' World Championship Tournament, although not yet determined, is scheduled for even numbered years and is thus due in 2014.

Thank you Hal! In the norms rules, Zonals do use the subcontinental designation. In other parts of the FIDE Handbook, they are still called Zonal. This worries me because there is pressure at the FIDE level to abolish the Zonals. Some European GMs who can qualify only through the Continental, considers that we are privileged because we can qualify through both Zonal and Continental and because our Zonal is so "weak".

I am glad that the rule about holding both Zonals together is not a strict rule.

If men and women World Championships are not the same year, how can FIDE hope that both Zonals be held simultaneously? I want the Qualifications to be as close as possible to the World event. This is fair because developing players would be penalized if the qualification is many years before the World Championship.

May you give a report on your direct duties as a Tournament Coordinator?

TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR

8E. The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country. The Tournament Coordinator will be responsible for soliciting individuals to bid on and organize major tournaments in Canada, including, but not limited to:

The Canadian Open Championship

The Canadian Closed Championship

The Tournament Coordinator shall have delegated to him/her by the Executive, their obligation under section 1201 of the Olympiad Regulations to appoint the Olympiad Coordinator. The Tournament Coordinator will then oversee and work with the Olympiad Coordinator re the National and Women's Olympiad Teams. [Motion 2010-15]
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I'd forgotten all of the duties we'd invested in this position.
    a. TD & Organizer assistance
    b. National bid solicitation
    c. Olympic responsibilities

Part C would kick in this year (2013/14), as we probably need an Olympic Coordinator selected ASAP, although there may be some specific dates in the Handbook. Last time around we had no official Olympic Coordinator, I think Hal and Michael and Ilia (still calculating the selection ratings) split the various functions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Pierre, I'll echo what Egis said... your "report" looks like a bunch of useful things yes, but they all are things that the FIDE Rep would have done if you hadn't (I'm sure he appreciates the help).

What have you done to ensure we have a Closed this year, or next year? What about an Open next year? What bids have you attempted to solicit and/or assist?

In other words, since you are running for the position again, why should we vote for you?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

The relevant handbook quote is The Tournament Coordinator shall have delegated to him/her by the Executive, their obligation under section 1201 of the Olympiad Regulations to appoint the Olympiad Coordinator

No Olympic responsibilities have been assigned by the Executive. The Olympiad will not begin until August 1st 2014.

The bid solicitation was done, but did not produce any bid.

The TD assistance is what did consume the most time. I translated the rules but FIDE decided not to enact them until 2014. I have written an article for Échecs+ to assist TD with the new rules. Ounce more, this will become useful only next year.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 06-22-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    The relevant handbook quote is The Tournament Coordinator shall have delegated to him/her by the Executive, their obligation under section 1201 of the Olympiad Regulations to appoint the Olympiad Coordinator

No Olympic responsibilities have been assigned by the Executive.

The bid solicitation was done, but did not produce any bid.
    Who did you contact? What kind of feedback did you receive? Were people simply not interested to organize it this year? Was there any particular reason? This is the kind of info that could be useful, I guess.

The FQE declined both the Open and the Closed.

Locally, near my home, the local church basement has everything required to organize a Canadian Closed in terms of tables and chairs. Unfortunately, we have no hotel, motel, inns or anything similar in which the players could sleep. Our largest hotel has 41 rooms the cheapest being at 130$ per night. Golf and skiing already fill this hotel and it has no compelling reason to make a deal. Some hotels have 7 rooms and one suite. Furthermore, we have only two small restaurants.

The Credit Union has advised that it will give priority to events that attract a large crowd. Even a Canadian Open does not attract a large crowd by their standards. They want to put money into events that encourage the participation of the public. This was probably the worst news of the year because with their previous rules for sponsorship, I would have been able bring the Credit Union in.

The local businesses see little interest in supporting chess. They do not see any more profits for them if 40 players visit for a Canadian Closed. Agriculture is the first industry here and chess players do not buy cows, ox, pigs, chickens, turkeys, gooses, ducks or seeds. Even attracting 300 players to my village would not be seen as attractive for the businesses because most players would have to sleep and to eat elsewhere.

Local businesses will sponsor only if they see a benefit and as it stands, they do not see any. Sponsorship is a necessity for the organization of a successful competition.