Thread: 11E. RCAAA Application.

Blog Entries

Default 11E. RCAAA Application.

I received the following comments from Michael. I'm not sure if he is prepared to carry on with this, or whether we need someone to work on it with him, once we are ready.

RCAAA: New NFP Act needs to be transitioned into first because a review of our constitution is a part of the process (if we apply for RCAAA first, then, after the transition, we would undergo another review…waste of time). RCAAA is a last-ditch effort at restoring our charitable status – it is optional. Not especially complicated – I worked on compiling the required information through Gerry previously, so we should be good to go in relatively short order, if we decide to press forward.

Blog Entries

I don't see how the CFC can ever be considered a RCAAA when very little of the chess we are involved with - outside of youth chess - is actually "Amateur"

There was the idea presented to partially spin-off Youth chess into their own association - which could become a RCAAA in a heartbeat I'm sure. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but that would be the way to go if you want some charitable donations for Chess in Canada.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 06-17-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: deleted duplicate thread - FM
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

In 2013 what does "amateur" mean when several sports in the 2010 and 2012 Olympic Games were competed for primarily by pros (ex. ice hockey and basketball) or tour pros (ex. tennis)

This is specifically why I asked for the links to the federal Acts to be posted so we can read for ourselves. Certainly no one here makes the majority of one's living from chess, unlike Canada's Mens Ice Hockey team who are nearly all NHLers. (Which in hockey is true of MOST of the top tier teams - Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czechs...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    In 2013 what does "amateur" mean when several sports in the 2010 and 2012 Olympic Games were competed for primarily by pros (ex. ice hockey and basketball) or tour pros (ex. tennis)

This is specifically why I asked for the links to the federal Acts to be posted so we can read for ourselves. Certainly no one here makes the majority of one's living from chess, unlike Canada's Mens Ice Hockey team who are nearly all NHLers. (Which in hockey is true of MOST of the top tier teams - Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czechs...)
    Don't be too quick to judge, Lyle...

The Chess Foundation of Canada has probably lost a couple of donors as a result of the non deductibility of contributions.
    It's hard to quantify but I have had a couple of feelers from people who backed away when informed of this.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Edward is that a comment about the standard of Canadian chessplayers or the National Hockey League ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Edward is that a comment about the standard of Canadian chessplayers or the National Hockey League ?!?
    The former, Lyle.
    I had even bolded the part of the quote I was replying to :-)

I have no doubt we have lost potential donations but that should surely have been expected.

I have made my recriminations known to those I feel were primarily responsible for the loss of charitable status but no question the Canada Revenue Agency under the Conservatives have been MUCH tougher for charitable societies with respect to qualification for charitable status than previously. Whether you feel this is a good thing or a bad thing is more a political matter to be discussed with your Member of Parliament than something best discussed here.