Thread: 9C. Bids for other National events in 2013/14

Default 9C. Bids for other National events in 2013/14

Bids may be made here. File attachments are welcome.

Any potential bid for the Canadian Closed? I'm afraid we will never get any bids unless the CFC decides to support it financially. It's extremely hard to organize it, even with sponsors in a big city.

For the record, here's a brief summary of the 2012 Zonals budget :
    REVENUE :
    Sponsorship : $4250 *
    Entry fees : $7600
    Snacks and drinks (most were free) : $100
    Total $11950

EXPENDITURE
    Two arbiters 1 200.00 $
    Appearance fee and lodging : $2540
    Rating Fees 303.60 $
    Porter 250.00 $
    Prize Fund Zonal 6 000.00 $
    Prize Fund Women’s Closed 1 450.00 $
    Postal fees (gifts) 71.00 $
    Total $11814

Surplus after banking fees (about $175) given to GM Sambuev, in addition to his first prize.

* SAP, Goddesschess, buffet from IGA, free rooms, material, food and postal fees from FQE
    We managed to organize it, thanks to the huge support of the FQE and a lot of work to find sponsors, but I don't think many people will be ready to spend that many time on a tournament, especially if the CFC doesn't help in any way. It would be a shame if nobody wanted to organize it and the CFC was once again forced to organize it itself at a huge cost (at such a last minute, there's no way there can't be a big deficit to cover)... We were already lucky enough not to have to pay too much apperance fees (GM Sambuev and Kovalyov live in Montreal), so we only had to pay the hotel for the Women Champion.

I believe in the future the CFC would have to put aside at least around $5000 every two years to have decent zonals... We might be able to afford it, now that there are new sources of revenues (FQE and CMA).

I guess there will be a lot of job for the new tournament coordinator...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    Any potential bid for the Canadian Closed? I'm afraid we will never get any bids unless the CFC decides to support it financially. It's extremely hard to organize it, even with sponsors in a big city.

For the record, here's a brief summary of the 2012 Zonals budget :

We managed to organize it, thanks to the huge support of the FQE and a lot of work to find sponsors, but I don't think many people will be ready to spend that many time on a tournament, especially if the CFC doesn't help in any way. It would be a shame if nobody wanted to organize it and the CFC was once again forced to organize it itself at a huge cost (at such a last minute, there's no way there can't be a big deficit to cover)... We were already lucky enough not to have to pay too much apperance fees (GM Sambuev and Kovalyov live in Montreal), so we only had to pay the hotel for the Women Champion.

I believe in the future the CFC would have to put aside at least around $5000 every two years to have decent zonals... We might be able to afford it, now that there are new sources of revenues (FQE and CMA).

I guess there will be a lot of job for the new tournament coordinator...
    There should be a surplus in the 2013/14 finances. We haven't begun any discussion over possible use, but I'm sure this would be one of the first options. To the best of my knowledge the FQE money is earmarked for International travel, especially the Olympiad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    There should be a surplus in the 2013/14 finances. We haven't begun any discussion over possible use, but I'm sure this would be one of the first options. To the best of my knowledge the FQE money is earmarked for International travel, especially the Olympiad.
    Yes, the FQE money will be used for international expenses, but it should save the CFC some money on these expenses.