Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5. Executive Reports and Reports of non-Executive Officers

Thank you Pierre for your excellent summary of changes to our Zonal. I have a few comments:

1. Zonals have not been renamed Sub Continentals. Although they have the same title /norm specs, Zonals qualify players directly to the World Cup and Sub Continentals to not.
    2. Staging our Men's and Women's Zonals together is not necessary. This is a "general rule" and not binding at all.
    3. Our next Canadian Championship may very well be a Zonal Championship. Following Norway, the next World Cup is slated for 2015. The Womens' World Championship Tournament, although not yet determined, is scheduled for even numbered years and is thus due in 2014.

Re: FIDE report: isn't Larry Bevand an IA?

Many people didn't buy their license. It's the same for IA Archambault

Blog Entries

I didn't either - ridiculous money grab from already-certified arbiters.

That being said, I probably would have paid for it, except for the fact that if you don't TD in an event for 2 years you have to pay the fee all over again.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

I have copied all of the existing posts to individual threads. Please do not reply to any posts here, but go to the appropriate individual thread,

Default 2012-2013 Rating Auditor Report

The average rating of all players stands at 1408 as of mid-June 2013. It has been just over a year since the new bonus point formula was introduced and this average has increased about 200 points as expected. This is due to three factors: Many junior events have shifted to Active rating and reduced the production of low rated juniors by half (from 1500 to 750). Secondly, more juniors are beginning their chess experience with Active events then starting fresh with Provisional ratings that accurately reflect their playing strength when they start playing in serious events.
    Thirdly, most of the bonus points gained over the past year have gone to juniors, driving up some of their ratings 100 or 200 points per event.
    The average now appears to have levelled off in the low 1400's

The average of all players above 1200 stands at 1750. This figure has remained remarkably constant since late 2009. It is my main indicator for inflation/deflation.

Finally, the median rating of the top 100 players is 2345. This has remained in a tight channel between 2345 and 2355 since late 2009.

Here is a link to the rating software calculator: http://www.victoriachess.com/cfcstat...g_type=regular

There was one event this year that included a few online games. The Canadian Military Championship included 3 players playing remotely from London, Ontario under the supervision of TD Steve Demmery. The event followed the new rules for rating CFC online events.

I am continuing discussion about the adviseability of adjusting the ratings of our strongest players to reduce the gap between CFC and FIDE ratings. Much more discussion is needed.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12