Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tournament Playing ( = " Tournament Membership " ) Fees

Blog Entries

I lived in Vancouver for a year (2002) and my experience there was there only WAS one CFC rated event - the Keres. In fact the only 2002 event I played in, I flew back to Ontario for it.

Plus it's been what, over two months since those opinions were written, which was before all the recent discussion. So I'd be interested in what their current opinions are, wouldn't you?

Default CFC Executive Positions on Eliminating the TPF?

Hi Chris:

The answer is yes.

The Grassroots' Campaign, and members generally, would like to know the current position of the Executive members on the elimination of the tournament playing fee. It is important, because in July 2008 at the CFC AGM in Montreal, the governors passed a straw vote motion eliminating the tournament playing fee.

Are the Executive and the Governors on the same page on this one? Will the Executive members post their positions on this issue, as Chris has now done ?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 01-14-2009 at 02:44 AM.

Hi Chris,

Total RUBBISH.

The records show that there were some 18 or so adult events in Greater Vancouver that year. Anything from the SCC Open, the Thanksgiving Open, the UBC Tournaments, the Lionel Joyner Memorial and even the Canadian Closed.

Also close by (much closer than Ontario), like Victoria or the Okanagan another half dozen adult tournaments took place that year.

Of course there were even many, many more Junior tournaments.

If you lived in Vancouver that year and missed all that......

Cheers
    Peter

Blog Entries

They did a very bad job of advertising them in that case. I couldn't afford the Keres but I would have played in others if I had known about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    They did a very bad job of advertising them in that case. I couldn't afford the Keres but I would have played in others if I had known about them.
    All of the tournaments are posted on the BCCF webpage. I get all my info there.

I always check the BCCF page for tournament ads as I am in BC quite a bit. From what I see there are plenty of ads for adult and junior events. When time permits I will even play in one of their events if it happens when I am there for business.

Quote Originally Posted by roger patterson
    AFIK this regulation applies only to the Canadian Closed and not to the Canadian Open. You would be delusional to think that the 2008 Canadian Open held in Quebec did not accept tournament memberships.
    So the rule does not work in a real life.
    Probably the word "OPEN" must mean something - everybody can play, even non-members and without any restrictions (tournament membership fee)
    .*-1

Hi Bob:

I think, before we could answer this main question:
    "What does the CFC need the money for?"
    all discussions regarding changing various fees don't make sense - there always will be people who will be very disappointed by ANY change.

Let's first discuss what we need the money for, and then we could explain members why the changes are necessary.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lohner
    All of the tournaments are posted on the BCCF webpage. I get all my info there.
    Sorry, never occurred to me that a CFC-rated tournament would not be advertised on the CFC website or in En Passent.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    Sorry, never occurred to me that a CFC-rated tournament would not be advertised on the CFC website or in En Passent.
    There are lots of tournaments that don't get advertised on the CFC site. There was a time where tournaments were submitted on the CFC site, and they never made it online there for whatever reason. So organizers didn't bother posting their tournament announcements to the CFC site and relied on other avenues of advertising.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast