Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7. FQE Trust Trustees - Nominations

Yes I am willing to serve as a non voting chairman of the committee if both assemblies are in agreement.

Blog Entries

Would this be strictly non-voting or would the chair have a tie-breaking vote?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Would this be strictly non-voting or would the chair have a tie-breaking vote?
    The intent was for the trust to be overseen equally by representatives of the FQE and of the CFC. Marc is now active in both camps, so allowing him a tiebreaking vote would suit the spirit of that arrangement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    The intent was for the trust to be overseen equally by representatives of the FQE and of the CFC. Marc is now active in both camps, so allowing him a tiebreaking vote would suit the spirit of that arrangement.
    I'm not sure Marc strictly counts as "equally" on both sides.

I'm trying to say this without offending anyone - I don't mean any offence to anyone involved. Please do not take anything I say personally!

I'd hate for us to set a precedent here that we will regret down the road. Marc may be the perfect chair, he may not be - I don't know him so I can't say.

The whole point of the money paid into trust is to "appease" the rest of the provinces - it as much as says so right in the deal. That implies that a significant chunk of that money should be helping out players from other provinces.

And the first thing that happens is that people want a majority of the committee to be from Quebec. That just doesn't sit right with me.

Best case scenario for me: sure, we can have a non-voting Chair, but it's strictly non-voting. Any ties have to be resolved via negotiation, which basically will mean a give-and-take between each member's proposals for monetary support. At least that way we can reasonably expect 50% of the money to go to non-Quebecers.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I'm not sure Marc strictly counts as "equally" on both sides.

I'm trying to say this without offending anyone - I don't mean any offence to anyone involved. Please do not take anything I say personally!

I'd hate for us to set a precedent here that we will regret down the road. Marc may be the perfect chair, he may not be - I don't know him so I can't say.

The whole point of the money paid into trust is to "appease" the rest of the provinces - it as much as says so right in the deal. That implies that a significant chunk of that money should be helping out players from other provinces.

And the first thing that happens is that people want a majority of the committee to be from Quebec. That just doesn't sit right with me.

Best case scenario for me: sure, we can have a non-voting Chair, but it's strictly non-voting. Any ties have to be resolved via negotiation, which basically will mean a give-and-take between each member's proposals for monetary support. At least that way we can reasonably expect 50% of the money to go to non-Quebecers.
    Insomuch as he has a vested interest in seeing the agreement succeed, I don't think you can find a much more suitable candidate for the role of Solomon than Marc. Fred's suggestion is strictly from the floor and nothing is set in stone as to how this would work. The advantage to a voting Chair, of course, is a guarantee that hung juries can be avoided. That he must first garner the trust of both assemblies, as is being suggested here, might alleviate some of the geopolitical concerns. For the sake of completeness, I'll build the question of a voting vs. non-voting Chair into the ballot. Assuming the amended agreement is ratified, whichever scenario the governors indicate they are most comfortable with is what will be implemented.

Thanks for the nomination but I think I better defer. My hands are rather full with my other chess duties at the moment.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Thanks for the nomination but I think I better defer. My hands are rather full with my other chess duties at the moment.
    Current status: Marc is willing to serve as Chair of the committee, Gordon is willing to serve as a Trustee, Paul respectfully declines the nomination, Fred is hesitant to commit either way and Vlad has yet to attend the meeting.

Any other nominations?

Blog Entries

Rob Clark
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    At the moment the amendments are all cosmetic. I think this could lead to a big debate, and would suggest that a non-voting chair be the best route to go.

Default Nominations are now CLOSED

Governors, nominations are now closed and we have 3 candidates for 2 positions:

ROB CLARK

VLAD REKHSON

GORDON RITCHIE

Voting will take place in 'The Voting Booth'

You may vote for one or two candidates - any Governor who votes more than twice gets his/her votes disqualified.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast