Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5- Proposed 2012-2013 budget

Blog Entries

Default 5- Proposed 2012-2013 budget

Discussion about the 2012-2013 proposed budget, which will be posted here.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Let's start with the budget that was not approved at the AGM:

$1000 surplus from 2011
    -$500 to Bob Gillanders for filing taxes
    -$250 support to Olympiad players/ supporting people such as coaches etc

Approximate $2000 for next year (assuming its similar to this year)
    –$500 Ontario Open
    –$500 OYCC
    –$250 OHSCC
    –$250 Ontario team championships
    –$250 Women's Championship
    –$250 Senior's Championships

Total $2000

Chris has correctly mentioned that the Ontario Closed is supposed to occur this year and therefore there should be funding for it. This is traditionally an event which receives $500 funding I believe, so therefore I propose that the $250 for both the women's as well as senior's championships this year go towards the closed instead.

Are there any other suggestions?

Blog Entries

Rob, this is still not a budget, it's a spending outline... and it's the exact one that was already not approved...

I would personally like to see a full list of anticipated income/expenses, as well as an up-to-date balance sheet for the OCA. See the financial reports I did for the 2009 OCA AGM (available on the OCA website) to see what I mean.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Chris,

Fair enough, I figured that the proposed expenditures for the following year was what people may be hung up on. The rest of the budget is pretty straight forward since our income is an estimation based on our previous year's rebates, but I'll put something together.

Attachment 81

Attachment 82

Hey All,

I did some work on the first couple pages of the format that Chris was talking about that people seemed to like. Unfortunately, I worked tonight and just got home so progress is limited and there are probably a couple errors (it can certainly be more clear after I quickly read over it) which I will try to fix tomorrow but it is a work in progress and a starting point. I welcome feedback and I have sent this to Brett to get his input.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    Attachment 81

Attachment 82

Hey All,

I did some work on the first couple pages of the format that Chris was talking about that people seemed to like. Unfortunately, I worked tonight and just got home so progress is limited and there are probably a couple errors (it can certainly be more clear after I quickly read over it) which I will try to fix tomorrow but it is a work in progress and a starting point. I welcome feedback and I have sent this to Brett to get his input.
    Hi Rob and Chris

Rob, I sent you an email today, with 5 attachments (2012 Treasurer's report, and 2011 and 2012 Income and Expense and 2011 and 2012 Balance Sheets, the same ones which Bob Gillanders will be using to complete the 2011 and 2012 tax returns. It would be useful to have these documents posted somewhere in this meeting spot, so people can review them and ask questions if they feel like it. Maybe you could forward my email to Chris as he may know how to do this if you don't. Thanks! I think this will facilitate discussion.

Afternoon all,

These are the documents Brett sent to me.

Afternoon all,

These are the documents Brett sent to me.
    HI Rob

Thanks for making this info available to all.

Brett Campbell
    OCA Treasurer

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Based on my somewhat brief inspection of the above five documents, the numbers appear to add up in each. Looks like a job well done, Brett.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Let's start with the budget that was not approved at the AGM:

$1000 surplus from 2011
    -$500 to Bob Gillanders for filing taxes
    -$250 support to Olympiad players/ supporting people such as coaches etc

Approximate $2000 for next year (assuming its similar to this year)
    –$500 Ontario Open
    –$500 OYCC
    –$250 OHSCC
    –$250 Ontario team championships
    –$250 Women's Championship
    –$250 Senior's Championships

Total $2000

Chris has correctly mentioned that the Ontario Closed is supposed to occur this year and therefore there should be funding for it. This is traditionally an event which receives $500 funding I believe, so therefore I propose that the $250 for both the women's as well as senior's championships this year go towards the closed instead.

Are there any other suggestions?
    Some comments, questions and suggestions:

It's unfortunate that funding for the coming Ontario Closed was omitted or overlooked in this version of a budget, which was, however, defeated at the recent 2012 online OCA AGM.

Regarding the still relevant suggested expenditures in that defeated budget, I regard $500 for an Ontario Open, plus $500 for an Ontario Closed and $500 for an OYCC as all but obligatory expenditures.

However, I am loath to see any of the OHSCC, Ontario Team Championships, Ontario Women's Championship or Senior's Championship have little or no funding from the OCA, but I personally feel all of these are lesser flagship events for the province than the Ontario Open, Ontario Closed or OYCC. It's my guess that most OCA Governors would feel similarly, at least regarding the other four being the lesser flagship events. Indeed, some, if not many, may feel that the Ontario Team Championship, without being organized in a recent year, is the least of the lesser flagship events.

My first question would be, in the opinion of the OCA Executive, could we actually afford to spend more than $2000 in total on all or any combination of the seven events mentioned above? If so, how much more?

Perhaps we may discover that we can barely afford to fund all seven of these events as much as we would like to after all. Only another $500 is necessary for that. Or maybe we could seriously consider running a deficit, for at least this year.

Alternatively, we might fund each or any of what I have called the lesser flagship events with a smaller amount than what we would prefer.

If we are indeed to spend only $2000 on all seven events, I would suggest either:
    1) we take a vote at the present meeting on which two 'lesser flagship events' (of the four I listed) to give each $250 in funding to, giving no funding to each of the other two lesser flagship events, or else:
    2) we could give $125 to each of the four lesser flagship events I listed.

There may be a more precise method of determining how to distribute funding to these four lesser events, but my suggested options 1) and 2) might at least be perceived as being fair to many Governors, players, organizers, or observers concerned with these four lesser flagship events who are also following this meeting's proceedings.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast