Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 11b) Motion 2012-A - Governor Allocations

Hybrid View

Default 11b) Motion 2012-A - Governor Allocations

Dear chess friends,

OCA Constitution currently posted on the OCA website contains incorrect formula for calculating membership-fee equivalents, used for CFC Governors allocation:
    "8.8 The membership-fee equivalents shall be calculated as follows:
    a) for each Regular Member, one (1.0) membership-fee equivalent
    b) for each Junior Member, four-tenths (0.4) of a membership-fee equivalent
    c) for each Family Member, one-half (0.5) of a membership-fee equivalent
    d) for each Life Member, one (1.0) membership-fee equivalent
    e) for each Honorary Member, one (1.0) membership-fee equivalent"

In fact, Junior Member pays $24 membership fee, while Regular Member pays $36 membership fee.
    So, CFC counts a Junior Member as 2/3 of a membership-fee equivalent.

To correct this discrepancy, the following Motion is proposed (moved by Michael Barron, seconded by Egidijus Zeromskis):
    Effective immediately, paragraph 8.8 of OCA Constitution will be replaced by:
    "8.8 The membership-fee equivalents shall be calculated according to current formula used by the CFC."

Such wording would eliminate a necessity of future corrections, if the CFC will change rating fees for different membership categories.

Please support this Motion to avoid discrepancy between CFC and OCA regulations.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

I would support your motion Michael, however I would say it cannot be "effective immediately" as that implies that we'd have to retroactively adjust numbers.

I will propose an amendment that instead of "effective immediately" it states "effective as of the 2013 Governor calculations".
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I would support your motion Michael, however I would say it cannot be "effective immediately" as that implies that we'd have to retroactively adjust numbers.

I will propose an amendment that instead of "effective immediately" it states "effective as of the 2013 Governor calculations".
    Christopher,

Just to clarify:
    We don't have to retroactively adjust numbers.

This Motion just makes completely legal the numbers announced by the OCA President in his email sent May 6 to all Leagues.
    If you wish, I could copy this email here.
    Last edited by Michael Barron; 05-26-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Making this effective immediately would most definitely be making this retroactive. I sent the number of governors out to the leagues in order to get the numbers out to the leagues faster. I was going through the constitution a few days later and realized my error and immediately corrected myself. I take full responsibility for my mistake and apologize for it. I also agree that the constitution needs to be changed. However, the constitution is what it is and for the upcoming election of governors, the number of governors allocated to each league is the corrected number I sent out which was later voted in by the executive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    Making this effective immediately would most definitely be making this retroactive. I sent the number of governors out to the leagues in order to get the numbers out to the leagues faster. I was going through the constitution a few days later and realized my error and immediately corrected myself. I take full responsibility for my mistake and apologize for it. I also agree that the constitution needs to be changed. However, the constitution is what it is and for the upcoming election of governors, the number of governors allocated to each league is the corrected number I sent out which was later voted in by the executive.
    Could you please provide the numbers and results of the vote?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Total Governor Allocation:

NOCL- 1 governor
    GTCL- 8 governors
    SWOCL- 6 governors
    EOCA- 4 governors

Vote by exec is 6 yes 1 no reply as of yet.

Total Governor Allocation:

NOCL- 1 governor
    GTCL- 8 governors
    SWOCL- 6 governors
    EOCA- 4 governors

Vote by exec is 6 yes 1 no reply as of yet.
    Thank you, Rob!

But on May 6 you have announced slightly different numbers:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark
    Total OCA governors- total 19 - 1 more than last year.

total weighted memberships- 857.7

NOCL- 1 governor
    GTCL- 9 governors
    SWOCL- 6 governors
    EOCA- 3 governors
    Could you please clarify:
    How these numbers were calculated?
    Why these numbers were changed later?
    What has been changed since May 6?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Rob!

But on May 6 you have announced slightly different numbers:

Could you please clarify:
    How these numbers were calculated?
    Why these numbers were changed later?
    What has been changed since May 6?
    Hi Michael,

As I have explained multiple times through the monstrous email exchange (its currently sitting at 70 emails exchanged although many were other people contacting me about the subject after our initial exchange) we had, these numbers were calculated in error. The OCA constitution is not representative of the value of the CFC membership equivalent (which I believe it should be) but since it is in our constitution it is what we must go by. I realize you have raised a motion to change it but for this selection of governors it will remain as is. Nothing changed, I simply used the correct calculation as per our constitution once I realized the formula in our constitution was different than the one employed by the CFC.

I'm not really sure what more you want. I made an error, corrected it within a few days and am deeply sorry for any trouble it has caused your league. I have also spoken with the governor who was affected and personally apologized. I am human and do occasionally err.

Hi Michael,

As I have explained multiple times through the monstrous email exchange (its currently sitting at 70 emails exchanged although many were other people contacting me about the subject after our initial exchange) we had, these numbers were calculated in error. The OCA constitution is not representative of the value of the CFC membership equivalent (which I believe it should be) but since it is in our constitution it is what we must go by. I realize you have raised a motion to change it but for this selection of governors it will remain as is. Nothing changed, I simply used the correct calculation as per our constitution once I realized the formula in our constitution was different than the one employed by the CFC.

I'm not really sure what more you want. I made an error, corrected it within a few days and am deeply sorry for any trouble it has caused your league. I have also spoken with the governor who was affected and personally apologized. I am human and do occasionally err.
    Hi Rob,

Thank you for explanation!

What I want - is to understand how the OCA works.

Let's clarify if I understood you correctly:
    1) On May 6 you have announced Governors allocation for Ontario Leagues;
    2) A week later you was reading OCA Constitution and found a mistake in the Constitution;
    3) We all agree that this is the mistake in the OCA Constitution that should be corrected;
    4) But instead of correcting this mistake you decided to change retroactively already announced Governors allocation.

Is it correct?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

No its not correct, the mistake was rectified well within a week.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast