24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 87.50%
  • No

2 8.33%
  • Abstain

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12. 2012-L CFC Governors Ethics and Code of Conduct Motion (Pierre Dénommée)

Default 12. 2012-L CFC Governors Ethics and Code of Conduct Motion (Pierre Dénommée)

Moved by Pierre Dénommée and seconded by Michael Barron.

That the CFC Assembly of Governors adopt the attached Code of Conduct

CFC Governor’s and Executive Member’s Code of
    Conduct

Part I: decision making process

The Assembly of Governors is committed to effective decision-making and, once a decision has been made, speaking with one voice. Towards this end the Governors will:

• Speak from broad member and community interests
    • Speak for themselves (“my own thinking on this is that…”) rather for than a group of members.
    • Express additional or alternative points of view and invite others to do so too.
    • Refrain from “lobbying” other Governors outside of board meetings that might have the effect of creating factions and limiting free and open discussion.
    • On important issues, be balanced in one’s effort to understand others and to make oneself understood.
    • Once made, support, indeed defend, Assembly of Governors decisions, even if one’s own view is a minority one.
    • Not disclose or discuss differences of opinion in the Assembly of Governors outside of Assembly meetings, especially with staff, volunteers or clients. Assembly meeting includes in person meetings and the CFC private discussion boards for Governors. Chesstalk is outside of Assembly meetings and disclosing there shall be treated with more severity.
    • Respect the confidentiality of information on sensitive issues, especially in personnel matters.
    • Refrain from speaking for the organization unless authorized to do so.
    • Disclose one’s involvement with other organizations, businesses or individuals where such a relationship might be viewed as a conflict of interest. Involvement in chess clubs Leagues and Provincial Association, whether affiliated or not, does not constitute a conflict of interest.
    • Refrain from giving direction, as an individual Governor, to the Executive Director or any member of staff.
    • Do not publicly comment on the performance of any arbiter or organiser. Direct complaints against arbiters or organisers to the relevant CFC Committee: NAC for rules of the game, Ethics for matters set out in the CFC Code of Ethics or TDOCP, for failure to pay guaranteed prices.
    • Do no supports any third party involved in a dispute when a case is pending at the NAC, the Ethics Committee or the TDOCP.

Part II: Duties and Ethics

Goal: To establish a set of principles and practices of the CFC Assembly of Governors that will set parameters and provide guidance and direction for board conduct and decision-making.
    Code: Members of the Assembly of Governors of the CFC are committed to observing and promoting the highest standards of ethical conduct in the performance of their responsibilities on the Assembly of Governors of CFC. Assembly members pledge to accept this code as a minimum guideline for ethical conduct and shall abide by it.
    Scope: This Code also applies to all Governors, to the members of the CFC Executive and to the members of all CFC Committees event if they are not a Governor.
    Accountability
    1. Faithfully abide by the Articles of Incorporation, by-laws and policies of the CFC
    2. Exercise reasonable care, good faith and due diligence in organizational affairs.
    3. Fully disclose, at the earliest opportunity, in formation that may result in a perceived for actual conflict of interest.
    4. Fully disclose, at the earliest opportunity, information of fact that would have significance in board decision-making.
    5. Remain accountable for prudent fiscal management to association members, the board, and non-profit sector, and where applicable, to government and funding bodies.
    Professional Excellence
    6. Maintain a professional level of courtesy, respect, and objectivity in all CFC activities
    7. Strive to uphold those practices and assist other CFC members of the board in upholding the highest standards of conduct
    Personal Gain
    8. Exercise the powers invested for the good of all members of the CFC rather than for his or her personal benefit, or that of the province they represent.
    Equal Opportunity
    9. Ensure the right of all association members to appropriate and effective services without discrimination on the basis of geography, political, religious, or socio-economical characteristics of the province or region represented.
    10. Ensure the right of all association members to appropriate and effective services without discrimination on the basis of the organization’s volunteer or staff make-up in respect to gender, sexual orientation, national origin, race, religion, age, political affiliation or disability, in accordance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.

Confidential Information
    11. Respect the confidentiality of sensitive information known due to board service.

Collaboration and Cooperation
    12. Respect the diversity of opinions as expressed or acted upon by the CFC Assembly of Governors, committees and membership, and formally register dissent as appropriate.
    13. Promote collaboration, cooperation, and partnership among association members.

Allegation of violation of this code shall be investigated by the Assembly of Governors.

(Editorial Note: the file attachment is Pierre's original motion in .doc format - I have attempted to match his original formatting in the above text of the motion - I include this document to assist updating of the Handbook)

Blog Entries

I think this is much too long, and should be condensed to 4 or 5 key points.

Default I agree with Fred

The best ethics documents are short and to the point.

Well this one fits on 2 8 1/2 x 11" pages which is not bad as these things go - had Pierre chosen to forego the large font sizes on the headers he could likely have gotten it onto one page

Blog Entries

I don't see the point, really. First of all there are grey areas, who decides what is or is not a violation? Second, a violation will be investigated by the Assembly of Governors.... and then ... what? Without changing the rules first, the only penalty the Assembly can give (and then only by majority vote at an AGM) is revocation of membership. Do you really want to go that far?

Also any potential Code of Conduct should NOT specifically mention Chesstalk.

I don't even know where to start on this. I'm not going to bother with a motion to amend because there are too many changes needed even if the Assembly decides they want something like this in place. Back to the drawing board, I say. Although perhaps with a straw poll about whether the Exec should continue to look into this or not.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I don't see the point, really. First of all there are grey areas, who decides what is or is not a violation? Second, a violation will be investigated by the Assembly of Governors.... and then ... what? Without changing the rules first, the only penalty the Assembly can give (and then only by majority vote at an AGM) is revocation of membership. Do you really want to go that far?

Also any potential Code of Conduct should NOT specifically mention Chesstalk.

I don't even know where to start on this. I'm not going to bother with a motion to amend because there are too many changes needed even if the Assembly decides they want something like this in place. Back to the drawing board, I say. Although perhaps with a straw poll about whether the Exec should continue to look into this or not.
    The point is - to reduce negativity surrounded the organized chess in Canada.
    I would think, all the Governors are reasonable people, and a simple reminder could prevent them from posting negative comments regarding Federation's affairs publicly.
    I don't see a need for any punishment, other then community disrespect.

For example, I believe, such behavior as Mr. Egorov demonstrates on Chesstalk recently, is inappropriate for a Governor.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    The point is - to reduce negativity surrounded the organized chess in Canada.
    I would think, all the Governors are reasonable people, and a simple reminder could prevent them from posting negative comments regarding Federation's affairs publicly.
    I don't see a need for any punishment, other then community disrespect.
    So really this will change exactly nothing?

For example, I believe, such behavior as Mr. Egorov demonstrates on Chesstalk recently, is inappropriate for a Governor.
    Well, he's not a Governor, but despite all of his public remarks he was still hired as a coach on the WYCC team which I find rather dumfounding.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

So really this will change exactly nothing?
    I would say, this will change perception of Governors' public comments.
    I could add that even since this topic was introduced on the October Governors Meeting for discussion, the Governors' public comments became more positive (or should I say less negative? ).

Well, he's not a Governor, but despite all of his public remarks he was still hired as a coach on the WYCC team which I find rather dumfounding.
    This was my second point exactly - if we all agree that such behavior is unethical, the CFC should avoid hiring such individuals.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    I would say, this will change perception of Governors' public comments.
    I could add that even since this topic was introduced on the October Governors Meeting for discussion, the Governors' public comments became more positive (or should I say less negative? ).
    Or perhaps there just hasn't been anything to complain about since then?

This was my second point exactly - if we all agree that such behavior is unethical, the CFC should avoid hiring such individuals.
    ... Which has nothing to do with the merits (or lack thereof) of this motion, although we can definitely agree on that point.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

If you want examples of sketchy behaviour, simply go to Google Images and do a search on my name - besides several photos of politicians which I have taken, there are two rather obviously dubious pictures there and when you see where they come from you will see why the present board of directors is less than impressed with the blog's author.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast