Thread: 2012 Can. Junior - Provincial Representation?

Default 2012 Can. Junior - Provincial Representation?

Here is a post I recently made on the confidential Governors' Discussion Board on this topic:

" Could I ask if the four Atlantic Provinces Chess Associations ( PEI, NB, NS, NL ) could get into contact with each other and discuss this possibility for the 2012 Calgary Can. Junior of an " Atlantic Representative "? They could try to get the CFC Youth Coordinator involved to see what if any assistance CFC or the organizers could give to further this possibility becoming a reality.

If they could do this, then it might start the ball rolling.

Then maybe CFC could contact the other provinces and try to get other provincial/regional representation with some type of provincial subsidy. And they could again get the organizers involved to see what they might be able to do.

Just a thought. "

What do the members think of this, especially our junior members?

Bob

Blog Entries

Speaking as a junior member from New Brunswick, I am very much in favour of this idea. The only chance most of the Atlantic juniors get to play on the national stage is the Canadian Chess Challenge. Participation at the CYCC and Canadian Junior is minute- I may be wrong about this, but I believe the last Atlantic participant in the latter was as far back as 2006. Any sort of assistance really couldn't hurt, and I'd like to see more Atlantic players in all levels of national play. It's just the ever present travel dilemma. standing in our way

Default 2012 Can. Junior - New Brunswick Participation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Speaking as a junior member from New Brunswick, I am very much in favour of this idea. The only chance most of the Atlantic juniors get to play on the national stage is the Canadian Chess Challenge. Participation at the CYCC and Canadian Junior is minute- I may be wrong about this, but I believe the last Atlantic participant in the latter was as far back as 2006. Any sort of assistance really couldn't hurt, and I'd like to see more Atlantic players in all levels of national play. It's just the ever present travel dilemma. standing in our way
    Hi Jason:

Thx for responding. I see your rating is currently 2049 with a peak of 2090. It seems to me you would be at home in the Canadian Junior - strong enough to give it a go.

To continue pursuing this, I would suggest you contact the NBCA to see if they have any plans to confirm a representative and help in any way, if you are seriously wanting to go if some help is available.

You might also try NB CFC Governor, Ken Craft, though Ken has advised me he is not particularly in favour of New Brunswick sponsoring in any way a representative, because the Can. Junior is now an open swiss. He prefers the old regional/provincial champions round robin format, for NBCA participation.

CFC has been trying to investigate how to open more opportunities in the Atlantic provinces to juniors, but so far we have drawn a blank when dealing with our own contacts there. We were unable in the first half of this year to get any Provincial Youth Chess Championships in any of the four provinces, that would qualify juniors to the 2011 CYCC in Richmond Hill, Ontario this past July. We will keep trying, with the local contacts, to find a way of increasing junior activity in the Atlantic provinces.

Bob, GTCL CFC Governor

You misquote me in paragraph 3, Bob. I stated no opinion one way or the other on the NBCA sponsoring a player at the Canadian Junior. I did say I preferred the old RR format and I did say that without it and its regional representation, there is not any structure or impetus for the four Atlantic provinces to cooperate in the sending of a representative.

Your representations in paragraph 4 are highly selective. The PYCC format has been created by the larger provinces without any enthusiasm by the smaller provinces.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Jason I would think if you are interested in going this year, you contact Brian Ossinger right away to see what sort of funding is available for you. I would think it's been some time since NBCA funds have been used for this sort of activity and there might be some funding avilable.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 10-26-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: editied last sentence to clarify intent

Jason, send me a private message and I will provide you with Brian Ossinger's contact information.