Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian Under 16 Team

First round: Belarus - Canada, meanwhile 1.5:0.5. Live games are here http://web4.tsf.org.tr/

Default Round 3

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Birarov
    First round: Belarus - Canada, meanwhile 1.5:0.5. Live games are here http://web4.tsf.org.tr/
    Round 2 result: Canada - Libya 4-0
    Round 3: Canada - Turkmenistan-B now playing.

Round 2 result: Canada - Libya 4-0
    Round 3: Canada - Turkmenistan-B now playing.
    Another 4-0 for Canada!!!

Another 4-0 for Canada!!!

Go, Canada, Go !!!

How many rounds are there all together ?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkine
    Go, Canada, Go !!!

How many rounds are there all together ?
    There are 10 rounds in total.

Today was a day of upsets:
    Top seed Russia lost 2 matches: to the main rival Armenia and more surprisingly to Turkey-Red team,
    Second seed India lost to Turkey-White team.

You could find full cross table on the official website:
    http://wyco2010.tsf.org.tr/en/compon...ileview&kid=80

Tomorrow in Round 4 Canada play India.
    As shown today by Turkish teams, everything is possible...

Go, Canada, Go !!!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

6. Default Update

I've been having some issues with Internet, but they are sorting themselves out.
    I have been posting on Chesstalk as well, so please be sure to check that out.
    I thought the post below about organization and opening ceremonies deserved posting in both places, so all governors and TDs could see what I was writing about.
    All the best
    Gary

Now that I have Internet in the playing hall, I wanted to give you an update on the organizational side of things.
    In a word, EXCELLENT
    Bulletins of all of the games are ready first thing in the morning and on the days with 2 rounds, about an hour after the round starts.
    Except for a problem with Internet in the Hotel, everything has been posted online quickly and efficiently.
    There is a large display board at the end of each table indicating round, teams, board, players name and rating and as results are recorded, the score is put on the Board.
    I have spoken to a few people from the Turkish Chess Federation here and they have done an incredible job. They decided about 5-10 years ago to become a world chess power and look at the number of tournaments that they have hosted lately, they are on their way.
    They like going to the smaller towns for their international tournaments, as the town bends over backwards for them, as they are so happy with the extra tourism and economic benefit.
    From a player standpoint, the only disadvantage is transport. But they took care of that with ease running airport shuttles and meeting people at the airport. There was an extra fixed charge for the transport, publicized in advance, and we had no issues paying it.
    This might be something to consider for some of our National Tournaments that could be hosted in cities up to 2 hours away from a major airport.
    Today, the captain and a member of each delegation met with the Governor of Burdur and then drove over to meet the Mayor. I don't think that would happen in Istanbul
    The opening ceremonies this afternoon was spectacular. We walked around the corner of our hotel to line up behind our flag and name of our country which were held by local citizens. We were also handed our countries flags to hold and wave ourselvesas we marched. We then marched, complete with a marching band, thru the middle of town to the playing hall. There were droves of children and towns people on the side of the road, cheering us on, for a few moments, we all felt what the Olympic athletes must feel walking into the stadium. The kids then started coming up to us and asking for our smaill flags and we all had a great time. I had gotten a lot of Canada pins from my MP and I was handing out lots of them. When we got to the playing hall, there was some Turkish dancing and then the obligatory speeches from the Mayor, the Turkish Chess Federation, a presentation about Burdur, etc..
    The only shame I see was that the opening ceremonies weren't on the first day, but I guess they had some logistical issues.
    Now the boys are playing Uzbekhistan and more reports later.
    Gary Gladstone

Default After Rd. 6

On the Susan Polgar Blog: After 6 rounds:

Currently team of Armenia is the only team to have recorded victories in all rounds. Our team ( Armenia ) has 20 in the account. Russian team has 16 points and is placed on the second. Chessplayers from Belarus also have 16 points and now they are third.

Bob

8. Default Final Canadian Report

The great news is Canada won their final match 3 – 1 over South Africa A Team. Simon and Konstantin won, Mike and Nikita Drew.
    We ended up tied for 8th place, actually 10th on tiebreak out of 22 teams. We started at 15th place, needless to say, we are all pleased.
    6 of the 10 teams we played finished in the top 10, we were never shut out and we won 5 matches with a total score of 21.5 points.
    Armenia went into the final round needing a ½ point to clinch, they all drew with Turkey White to guarantee them the win.
    The closing ceremonies start shortly and then the long trek home.
    A great time was had by all, thanks for all your support and encouragement.
    Everyone should be very proud of how the “Canadian Youth Under 16 Team” represented themselves at the World Under 16 Youth Olympiad.
    All final standings, games, etc.. are available at http://wyco2010.tsf.org.tr/
    Gary Gladstone, Captain
    Nikita Kraiouchkine Board 1
    Konstantin Semianiuk Board 2
    Mike Ivanov Board 3
    Simon Gladstone Board 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gladstone
    The great news is Canada won their final match 3 – 1 over South Africa A Team. Simon and Konstantin won, Mike and Nikita Drew.
    We ended up tied for 8th place, actually 10th on tiebreak out of 22 teams. We started at 15th place, needless to say, we are all pleased.
    6 of the 10 teams we played finished in the top 10, we were never shut out and we won 5 matches with a total score of 21.5 points.
    Armenia went into the final round needing a ½ point to clinch, they all drew with Turkey White to guarantee them the win.
    The closing ceremonies start shortly and then the long trek home.
    A great time was had by all, thanks for all your support and encouragement.
    Everyone should be very proud of how the “Canadian Youth Under 16 Team” represented themselves at the World Under 16 Youth Olympiad.
    All final standings, games, etc.. are available at http://wyco2010.tsf.org.tr/
    Gary Gladstone, Captain
    Nikita Kraiouchkine Board 1
    Konstantin Semianiuk Board 2
    Mike Ivanov Board 3
    Simon Gladstone Board 4
    Thank you, Gary, for your report!

And congratulations to the whole Canadian Team!
    It's very good to make top 10 finish from the first attempt!

Hopefully, next year, having such experience, we could do even better!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12