Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Item # 20 – Elimination of Life Governors ( Motions 2010-03 & -04 ) Pt. I discussion

Blog Entries

I would like to hear from others out there who agree with Bob A on this. It's been pretty well a one man crusade in this discussion thread.

While in agreement with this at one time, I am open to a compromise that allows "active" Past Presidents to stay on.

Come on Bob, you know how governors are "elected"--- you show up at the league meeting and don't decline when its offered to you. As far as I can see anyone who is active in the community should have a vote.

Default Motion 2011-A - Activity Rule for Life Governors - for discussion

I have now written to the Chair, Bob G, on this motion of Les Bunning/Lyle Craver, as follows:

" Hi Bob G:

Les has now specified the wording he wants for the section, as an alternative to the wording proposed in Motion 2010-03. I trust that Les has reviewed the full section and that his wording works with the remaining parts of the section.

I therefore propose that we procedurally deal with this by asking the following poll question as a vote on Monday evening:

Regarding Life Governors, I vote for – 3 options ( exclusive ) – 1. Motion 2010-03; 2. Motion 2011-A ( Bunning Motion ); 3. Neither of the above.

I suggest this because Les is not really amending Motion 2010-03 – his wording makes no reference to the wording of that motion. It is rather a competing motion asking to amend the original section differently. This seems fine however, and I think my proposal for how to proceed handles it."

I am currently awaiting confirmation from Bob G that this seems an acceptable way to deal with the 2 competing motions.

Motion 2011-A will be:

Moved Bunning/Craver - Section 6 of by law #2 is amended by replacing the current wording which reads "The past presidents of the federation who have served as president for at least 2 terms. A term is that period between one annual meeting and the next" with the following wording: " The past presidents of the federation who have served as President for at least 2 terms and continue to demonstrate that they are active governors by attending at any one annual meeting over a 2 year period or commenting or voting on not less than 3 governors motions in any two year period or attending at least 2 on line governors meetings over a two year period. A term is that period between one annual meeting and the next ".

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 10-04-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Blog Entries

I think that the compromise is only useful if it refers to all Past Presidents outside of the 5 year range. I would like to see someone amend Les motion to replace both the first and the last phrase in the section.

It should allow us to weed out inactive PP's as soon as their 5 years are up.

I support Bob A's motion. Assuming the CFC Presidency should not grant gubernatorial voting rights for life.

Default Bunning / Craver amendment

I agree with Phil Haley and support this amendment.

The CFC has never been a "democracy".
    In fact, in my experience, governors representing provincial associations or regional associations are selected and approved at an AGM which involves very few members.

It is obvious that many of those selected are unable to devote sufficient time to governance. I have been in that situation in the past myself.

We need all provincial associations to continue working to find more representatives who care about chess and the CFC, and who have the time to attend to matters such as governors' meetings and discussions.

Posted on the Procedures' Questions/Comments thread:

Oct. 4, 2010, 04:51 PM

Bob Armstrong - CFC Governor

Meeting Extension

Les Bunning has brought a motion 2011-A to amend motion 2010-03 re Life Governors. Procedure dictates that an amending motion must be voted on first, and then, according to the outcome of that vote, the man motion/amended main motion is then voted on. The meeting procedures now allow for a 3 day extension of this meeting to accomodate this reality.

But Bob G feels there has been still insufficient discussion on Les' amending motion and has therefore ruled that it will be put up " for discussion " initially, rather than for immediate voting tonight at 9:00 PM EDT. The discussion will then go on for a while and then there will be time set aside for voting on it, and then time allocated to voting on the main motion. The exact dates for this will be posted here once the actual wording of Les' motion has been decided upon and it has been posted.

As a result, Motions 2010-03 and 2010-04 will not be posted for vote at 9:00 PM tonight, but both will await the outcome of the eventual vote on Motion 2011-A. Once that is known, then both Motion 2010-03 ( or the amended motion ) and Motion 2010-04 will be posted for vote.

Bob.

"we used to have Canadian life senators"

True - now we make them retire at age 75 with a nice fat pension which is a much better deal for them when their position really was for life.

As for past presidents attending AGMs most of these do if in the Toronto area. Outside the GTA the percentage is much lower as should be expected.

If by some chance Dr. Divinsky were to be removed by this motion (I'm not taking the time right now to look it up) I would promote a motion to restore the Life Governorship to him for his services to chess anyhow.

Given his advanced age and his service to chess in pretty much every CFC job except executive director around it would be churlish to do otherwise.

Either way I share Les' view on this motion and will be voting accordingly.

Hi Lyle:

As you know, I will be voting against the amending motion 2011-A.

However, should it pass, and the main motion then pass as amended, I would support your motion granting life governor status again to Nathan Divinsky, if he is terminated because of the motion.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    I support Bob A's motion. Assuming the CFC Presidency should not grant gubernatorial voting rights for life.
    I support Bob A's motion as well.

I know, such Governors like Maurice Smith, Les Bunning, Phil Haley, Nathan Divinsky always will be elected by their provinces as long as they wish it.
    We all appreciate everything that they did and continue to do for Canadian chess community!

But they still should be elected every year, rather than be a Governors for life.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast