Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Item # 3 - Questions/Comments on the On-line Meeting Procedures

Blog Entries

We have to remember there is a difference between an AGM of the CFC and a Governor's meeting and a Governor's letter.

We all know the effect of interactive media like this increases one's abilities to say things that might not have been said in public.

So until we have some kind of vote to tthe contrary, I think a summarized version of the meeting is most appropriate and all the members can expect.

Default Voting During On-line Meetings

There has been some concern raised about the fact that our voting, by the format provided by this discussion board, is such that a voter can first click on the vote total and see what governors have voted for what positons, before they vote.

The problem is that we need to record the names of all voters, as part of the process and this is the only option the board provides, There is no feature that allows us to block access to the voters names, prior to tabulation and recording of the vote.

Though this is not ideal, I would note that votes at the CFC AGM are public, and so everyone does know who voted for what. And we all know that there are governors at the AGM who delay putting up their hands to vote, to see which way the wind is blowing before they vote. In the same way, governors have the ability to not look at who has voted, before they vote. The names are not initially posted. You need a second click to get the names. Governors can vote blind, if they have the desire to do that. So both systems have their deficiencies.

But this whole on-line meeting procedure is such an improvement over the GL syetem, that I think we should not be too concerned about this modest deficiency. In the overall, our meeting procedures work well, and our meetings are streamlined and effective.

We can always ask Chris to look into whether there is any way to disable the name viewing option, before the voting has closed. Then it could be used when the votes are subsequently tablulated and recorded.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 10-05-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Blog Entries

It's also possible to send a message to let's say the recording secretary with your vote, if we wanted to eliminate the process (polling process) of seeing how the voting is going prior to voting.........

Default Board Administration Again - Chris - Motion Stickies

Hi Chris:

Re: Motion Stickies

In case you missed my earlier post, here it is again:

I again found that my attempt to create sticky agenda items did not work. Please make Items # 11B, 16D, 23 & 24 ( voting items ) stickies for me.
    Thanks

Bob

I agree with Fred.

How about we stick with the option we have started with for this meeting and review changes prior to the next one.

Default Online Meeting requires a separate area

One source of confusion with the Online Meeting is that it is in the CFC Governors Discussion area rather than segregated into its own area.

I found this the hard way when paging through the records looking for a poll that I thought I had missed.

In fact I would go so far as to say that in future such meetings all the polls should be in a common thread at the top of the Online meeting list - but either way I do not think that the online meeting messages should be in with the regular Governoratorial chit-chat.

Can I safely presume that when this meeting is over we will have a post-mortem on how it went?

Hi Lyle:

1. Separate forum for meeting - Chris set one up for us for this meeting, but unfortunately he forgot to give me access to the forum, and so when I came to post the agenda and introductory posts to start the meeting, the fourm would let me post - said I was not authorized. So I had to do it the same as last time - on the regular governors' discussion board. Hopefully next time we'll have a separate forum and the necessary instructions will be given to give the posting secretary access.

2. Polls together at top of screen - I did this at the April meeting and it worked fine - all motions were " stickies " and at the top of the screen - no scrolling down. Again this time Chris set it up so I could click on the " sticky " feature for the motions.....but it didn't work. They came out as ordinary threads that scroll down. Chris has said he deesn't know why it wasn't working for me. It worked for him when he corrected the situation and made threads stickies that I hadn't been able to get to work. So hopefully we won't have this glitch next time and the motion vote threads will be stickies at the top of the screen.

3. Post- Mortem : I look forward to some type of post-mortem, to see if there are improvements to be made in carrying out the meeting, or even in amending the meeting procedures if they need improvement. The procedures worked well again this time, as they did last time, but that doesn't mean they're perfect. I am already looking at one possible improvement that may be needed. Other suggestions may also be out there.

Bob

Default The Next Motion for Vote - Motion 2011-A

On Thursday, Oct. 7 at 5:00 PM EDT, Motion 2011-A, amending Motion 2010-03 ( Life Governors Subject to Activity Rule ) will become the 5th motion put to a vote ( it was originally scheduled to be posted at 9:00 PM, but this must now be advanced because I am going out of town in the late afternoon Thursday; I will be asking Bob G to appoint someone to cover for me as Posting Secretary 'til 11:59 PM EDT on Monday, Oct. 11, when I return ).

The vote on that motion will close on Saturday, Oct. 9 at 11:00 PM EDT.

Bob

Default Board Administration - Stickies

Hi Chris:

Thanks for making the voting threads stickies for me.

I will try again on Thursday with Motion 2011-A when I post it for voting. But please keep an eye out for it in case it doesn't work again. I'll then have to have you make it a sticky.

Bob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast