Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Item # 13 - The CFC Youth Program ( 2010 WYCC/CYCC ) – Operation

May we make life more simple as FIDE do not regulate participant's level: every CYCC player is eligible to play in the WYCC if (s)he covers own expenses (+$$$ for a coach ) The CYCC section winners are official CFC delegates.
    and even to recognize provincial associations: provinces' champions are eligible too (keeping in mind that their provincial associations or they will cover their all costs

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis
    May we make life more simple as FIDE do not regulate participant's level: every CYCC player is eligible to play in the WYCC if (s)he covers own expenses (+$$$ for a coach ) The CYCC section winners are official CFC delegates.
    and even to recognize provincial associations: provinces' champions are eligible too (keeping in mind that their provincial associations or they will cover their all costs
    Egis,

Unfortunately, this suggestion is against the main CFC objective - to promote game of chess in Canada.
    We should first of all encourage our players to play chess in Canada, and only the best of them - at the WYCC.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    Egis,

Unfortunately, this suggestion is against the main CFC objective - to promote game of chess in Canada.
    We should first of all encourage our players to play chess in Canada, and only the best of them - at the WYCC.

The CFC objectives are broader: "the knowledge, study and playing of the game of chess". The preparation and playing in the WYCC should really meet these objectives

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, allowing anyone to participate in the World Youth would destroy the CYCC, and our top players would no longer have their air fare covered.

Unqualified siblings should not be allowed to play at WYCC. It privileges a player through the accident of birth over another player who may be stronger but doesn't have a qualifying sibling. I like Lyle Craver's phraseology "positively dumb."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    Unqualified siblings should not be allowed to play at WYCC. It privileges a player through the accident of birth over another player who may be stronger but doesn't have a qualifying sibling. I like Lyle Craver's phraseology "positively dumb."
    Of course, there is some measure of unfairness in it but how to "qualify how is unqualified"? We had 9 girls in U8 category this year and around 45 boys in U12. It is possible that girl who took 3rd place could be much more "unqualified" than boy on 4th (or even 10th) spot. I think that to make it less binding we can omit criteria #3 and make it a part of current criteria #4.

By "qualified" I meant finishing first, second or third.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim
    Unfortunately, allowing anyone to participate in the World Youth would destroy the CYCC, and our top players would no longer have their air fare covered.

I wrote "every CYCC player" (not anyone), what means that the CYCC is not under destruction

Blog Entries

Missed that part....

It seems this was a distinction made by the Youth Committee and could be changed by a motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    By "qualified" I meant finishing first, second or third.
    I see, sorry for misunderstanding. I agree that there is no sound reason for CFC to make any commitment beyond criteria 1 and 2, and for all the exceptional cases we'll have #4.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast