Chess and me!

Stuff about me relating to chess.

1. 3rd game in...

I played my 3rd game tonight since un-retiring against Don Gareau, a strong Class B player. I'm relatively proud of this game as I was able to employ all the things I've been studying in the Silman book recently, achieving a dynamic advantage in terms of superior minor pieces, using that pressure to convert to a material advantage by winning one of his three loose pawns, and then trading down into a won endgame.

Even at the end, my bishop was superior to his since every single one of ...

Updated 10-01-2014 at 08:22 PM by Christopher Mallon

Categories
    Chess and me!
  2. First game back!

My first rated game since May 2009 was last night. I was paired with Dan Raats. The time control was SD/50 minutes + 20 seconds (Bronstein) which is an interesting time control.

The game was sooner than I had originally targeted to start playing again (mid-October) so other than some middlegame and tactics work I didn't feel fully prepared - I haven't even looked at endgames or openings since restarting my study. So I was quite pleased to get out of the opening intact!

Categories
    Chess and me!
  3. Welcome back?

Tonight will be my first rated game of chess since the 2009 Ontario Open in Ottawa. Should be fun, right?

My goal is to be a Class A player by my next birthday. That gives me about seven months, should be doable I think.

Wish me luck!
    Categories
    Chess and me!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12