PDA

View Full Version : FIDE rating fees

Bob Gillanders
09-20-2008, 05:16 PM
I have concluded some research into what FIDE charges the CFC for rating tournaments, and what CFC charges TD's to recover these costs. I would like to acknowledge the assistance of Alberta's ED Tony Ficzere.

We reviewed the FIDE rating fees for last year (April 2007 to January 2008). The FIDE formulas are convoluted and don't allow for an easy calculation of per tournament costing. However, the CFC pricing as set out in motion 2003-05 (Stockhausen/Smith) appears appropriate and adequate to fully recover FIDE charges from our CFC TD's.

Motion 2003-05 read as:

Round Robin & matches
Category 0-3 $ 55
Category 4-5 $ 110
Category 6-7 $ 165
Category 8-10 $ 220
Category 11+ $ 44 x category

Swiss tournament under 300 players $ 2.20 per player
Swiss tournaments over 300 players $ 1.10 per player

Team tournaments $ 33 per team.

CFC Handbook (section 790) read as such except for the additional of a flat fee of $100 for swiss tournaments. The exact origin of this item is unclear to me. However, I do believe it was meant to recover FIDE late charges. Tournaments submitted late (over 60 days) are subject to a late fine of 70 Euros.

The new policy will be to impose this $ 100 flat fee for all tournaments where the TD is negligent in either advising the CFC office that the tournament is to be FIDE rated and/or is slow in providing all necessary information.

I hope everyone will find this fair and equitable.

Comments /Questions?

Tony Ficzere
09-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi Bob,

I noticed on the FIDE website that the fee for players in a team event is 1 Euro per player. Here is the link again...

http://www.fide.com/info/handbook?id=3&view=category

Jonathan Berry
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi, Bob:

You didn't include your calculations. I guess that would only have confused us.

The fees that the CFC charges, in addition to CFC rating fees, in order that a tournament may be rated by FIDE,
I'm going to call F-fees.

F-fees should include FIDE tournament registration fees, when FIDE charges them.

If an event incurs FIDE late fees as a result of tardiness by the tournament director / organizer, the F-fees should charge additionally. Looks like you probably have those two points covered.

As you pointed out, there is some contradiction in the CFC F-fee rules as published, so they need to be clarified.

IMHO, the F-fees should be based upon stated FIDE's fees and the currency exchange rate. The CFC bylaw should authorize somebody (the President?, the Executive?, the Rating Auditor?) to adjust the F-fees based upon changes in FIDE's fees, exchange rates, FIDE regulations, and FIDE practices, no more often than once per year. Of course, the bylaw would state the starting points so that anybody could verify that the F-fees have kept up.

IMHO, the F-fees should reflect CFC staff / volunteer time taken in relation to FIDE-rating of events.

IMHO, the F-fees should reflect CFC costs relating to CFC's participation in the FIDE rating and playing title structure. Those include federation transfer fees (to the extent that the CFC pays them), OTB playing title certificate fees (to the extent that the CFC pays them)...., and staff time in those relations.

More controversially, the F-fees should reflect CFC costs relating to CFC's participation in FIDE, including FIDE zonal fees, FIDE member country fees, non-playing title fees, net cost to the CFC of us having a FIDE Representative, staff and office overhead--and I'm sure I must have overlooked something.

And perhaps most controversially, the F-fees could reflect all CFC costs.

We know what it costs to enter the results of a player-event into the CFC system. When $3 (soon to be $5) is paid to enter a player-event, it also pays a portion of the Executive Director's salary ... and of all office costs. Why should the CFC regard its own rating system less favourably than the F-fees? People will wonder why it costs only $2.20 per player to FIDE-rate a tournament, but all of $3 (or $5) to CFC-rate the same event. The reason right now is that CFC rating fees subsidize the other elements of CFC operations, but F-fees do not. FIDE, like a drug pusher, is going to find more and better ways to ding us as the concept of FIDE rating becomes more widespread and more compelling. In the rating game, the CFC is competing against FIDE. There is no point starting that game from a position of weakness. There is no point in discounting the full cost of FIDE's services, paid for by other CFC endeavours.

So the revenue-neutral proposal would be to increase F-fees and decrease CFC Rating fees accordingly.

Jonathan Berry
09-29-2008, 10:22 PM
As if to illustrate a couple of my points, this is from today's Chess Today

Yesterday FIDE published the new rating list, with some comments by Casto Abundo. In particular:
"The FIDE Congress in Dresden is expected to institute penalties for late registration of tournaments. Please note that pre-registration of tournaments is mandatory. Rating Officers should register their event at least one month in advance on the FIDE Ratings Server".