PDA

View Full Version : Handbook Updating Subcommittee?

Bob Armstrong
03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Maurice Smith took on some time ago, the updating of the CFC Handbook. The governors had been passing motion after motion, year after year, and neither the CFC Secretaries, nor the Executive Directors, had taken on the task of updating the CFC Handbook as a result of all these motions. He has almost accomlished his task, and will then indicate that his volunteer position on this has come to an end ( there are apparently 2 more updates he is working with Gerry on - the CFC Code of Ethics, and the Laws of Chess ).

No provision has yet been made for what happens next re CFC Handbook Updating.

Since the last July 2009 AGM, the governors have not yet passed any motions affecting the Handbook. But they have just voted on Motion 2010-02: (Moved / Seconded Egidijus Zeromskis / Christopher Mallon) The Constitution change: "JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP . As well they voted on Motion 2010-03 ( removing some past CFC presidents as governors, and thus eliminating Life Governors ) and Motion 2010-04 ( making current Life Goverors Governors-at-Large Without Vote for 10 years ), but if I understand a recent post by Eric vsn Dusen, CFC president, he is going to treat this as only a straw vote, since the movers/seconders had originally asked that those motions be tabled to the July AGM. And there will be coming up for vote a number of other motions currently in the GL's, either imminently, or at the AGM. What will happen re Handbook updating re these motions, once Maurice has retired from his current volunteer position?

As Chair of the Procedures' Committee, I intend to suggest to Eric, that the Procedures' Committee take over responsibility for continuous future updating. It will do this by forming a third subcommittee on " CFC Handbook Updating ". But before doing this, I think we should follow Maurice's model of one person taking on this task, and working with Gerry to get the wording right, and Gerry then doing the updating. So I will be proposing that the subcommittee be a subcommittee of one, reporting to the Procedures' Committee.

But as I say, before I do this, I would like to have the person in place who would be willing to do this. So can I find a governor, or a CFC member, who would be willing to become this subcommittee for the foreseeable future ( it will not be a life sentence ). Please e-mail me if you are interested ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ). Once I have the volunteer, I will then make the recommendation to Eric.

Thanks.

Bob

Kerry Liles
03-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Maurice Smith took on some time ago, the updating of the CFC Handbook. The governors had been passing motion after motion, year after year, and neither the CFC Secretaries, nor the Executive Directors, had taken on the task of updating the CFC Handbook as a result of all these motions. He has almost accomlished his task, and will then indicate that his volunteer position on this has come to an end ( there are apparently 2 more updates he is working with Gerry on - the CFC Code of Ethics, and the Laws of Chess ).

No provision has yet been made for what happens next re CFC Handbook Updating.

Since the last July 2009 AGM, the governors have not yet passed any motions affecting the Handbook. But they have just voted on Motion 2010-02: (Moved / Seconded Egidijus Zeromskis / Christopher Mallon) The Constitution change: "JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP . As well they voted on Motion 2010-03 ( removing some past CFC presidents as governors, and thus eliminating Life Governors ) and Motion 2010-04 ( making current Life Goverors Governors-at-Large Without Vote for 10 years ), but if I understand a recent post by Eric vsn Dusen, CFC president, he is going to treat this as only a straw vote, since the movers/seconders had originally asked that those motions be tabled to the July AGM. And there will be coming up for vote a number of other motions currently in the GL's, either imminently, or at the AGM. What will happen re Handbook updating re these motions, once Maurice has retired from his current volunteer position?

As Chair of the Procedures' Committee, I intend to suggest to Eric, that the Procedures' Committee take over responsibility for continuous future updating. It will do this by forming a third subcommittee on " CFC Handbook Updating ". But before doing this, I think we should follow Maurice's model of one person taking on this task, and working with Gerry to get the wording right, and Gerry then doing the updating. So I will be proposing that the subcommittee be a subcommittee of one, reporting to the Procedures' Committee.

But as I say, before I do this, I would like to have the person in place who would be willing to do this. So can I find a governor, or a CFC member, who would be willing to become this subcommittee for the foreseeable future ( it will not be a life sentence ). Please e-mail me if you are interested ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ). Once I have the volunteer, I will then make the recommendation to Eric.

Thanks.

Bob

Incidentally, is the CFC handbook (on the CFC website) the revised version by Maurice? It seems rather hard to tell - I would recommend some sort of indication at the top of the page (at: http://www.chess.ca/cfc_rules.htm) to indicate the latest revision date. If possible, revision date by section would be good too. Oops. I almost volunteered there...

In all seriousness, I would be interested in helping to maintain the handbook, but first I would like to know some details: what format is the "reference copy" (Microsoft Word or plain text or something else like wordperfect 5.1 - haha) and whether or not the html code used on the website is generated from the source document... feel free to email me if this is not all that clear.

Bob Armstrong
03-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Kerry:

Thanks.

I'll e-mail you shortly.

Bob

Aris Marghetis
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Incidentally, is the CFC handbook (on the CFC website) the revised version by Maurice? It seems rather hard to tell - I would recommend some sort of indication at the top of the page (at: http://www.chess.ca/cfc_rules.htm) to indicate the latest revision date. If possible, revision date by section would be good too. Oops. I almost volunteered there...

In all seriousness, I would be interested in helping to maintain the handbook, but first I would like to know some details: what format is the "reference copy" (Microsoft Word or plain text or something else like wordperfect 5.1 - haha) and whether or not the html code used on the website is generated from the source document... feel free to email me if this is not all that clear.
At a quick glance, Section 4, the rules, still dates back from 2004-2005.

Either here or on the Governor page, I suggested a few months ago that we could consider just pointing to the FIDE site. Someone flamed me, but I stand by my suggestion if it means saving a few YEARS of being out of date! ;)

Bob Armstrong
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi Aris:

The rules is one of the two areas Maurice still has to complete.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Today I made the recommendation to Eric, that the Procedures' Committee form a " Handbook Updating Subcommittee " of one person, who will, after motions have been passed by the governors, work with Gerry on the proper wording of the needed amendments, and then Gerry will actually amend the website Handbook.

Kerry, who volunteered conditionally, if a couple of questions were satisfactorily answered, is a likely candidate to fill the Subcommittee position, if it is approved by Eric.

There is already a motion 2010-02 that has been voted on recently ( results not yet released ), and if it passes, then ByLaw # 1, Section 9 will be amended. The Handbook must then be updated immediately, so that it remains current after all the work Maurice and Gerry have done to bring it up to date now.

I expect a decision from Eric on my recommendation shortly. This would put in place a viable updating process.

Bob