PDA

View Full Version : The Important Role of the Governor in the CFC ( Part I )

Bob Armstrong
03-01-2010, 09:53 PM
This month in Ontario, the election of 2010-11 CFC Governors starts in the Ontario Regional Leagues - March for the South-Western Ontario Chess League, and April for the Greater Toronto Chess League. I assume that these elections across the country will be taking place over the next three months.

The Governor plays a key role in the CFC. Below is an article I wrote on March 16, 2009 , which is still relevant, that speaks to these elections ( some recent editing has been done to correct a few errors ):

The Important Role of the Governor in the CFC ( Part I )
By Bob Armstrong, CFC Life Member –

Provincial AGM’s & Governors

Each year, usually in mid-Spring, Provinces hold their Annual General Meeting ( AGM ). Members of the CFC have the opportunity at this meeting to elect their governors for the CFC. Is this important to CFC members? Should they come out and vote? Let’s take a look at what role the CFC Governors play, and whether CFC members should be concerned about these upcoming elections.

The Nature of CFC Governors

A pro-bono CFC lawyer stated some time ago, that the Governors ( called “ Special Members “ in the Bylaws ) are similar to corporate shareholders, and not liable for their actions. He stated:

“As a practicing lawyer I can advise that the CFC is a corporation and as such is a separate legal entity. Shareholders of a corporation are not liable for the misdeeds of a corporation. At the annual meeting Governors - who are the equivalent of shareholders- elect an executive to manage the affairs of the corporation in the same way that business corporations elect a board of directors. In the CFC's case the executive are the directors and are registered as such with the appropriate government authority in the same way that a business corporation registers its board of directors with the appropriate government authority. The directors (i.e. the executive in the case of the CFC) of a corporation are occasionally, though not usually, liable unless the acts that they do are themselves unlawful. The directors are not usually personally liable if the corporation takes some action which causes problems or losses to another individual. The corporation may in some circumstances be liable but not the directors personally. This is one of the main reasons why people incorporate. The situation is entirely different with a group of individuals who are not incorporated as is often the case with community groups. “

Differences Of Governors From Shareholders

I, however, see significant differences between the " Special Members = Governors " of the non-profit CFC corporation, and " shareholders " in a normal corporation. Shareholders do not " govern " a corporation. They elect a Board of Directors to govern the corporation for them, and the Board elects an Executive to carry out the day to day running of the enterprise, and to bring matters of governance back to them for their voting decision.

That is not the case in the CFC. Yes the Governors are members of the non-profit, but they are " Special Members ", representing the members in the provinces/territories. And the Bylaws give them powers you don't see being given to shareholders. For example, take Section 1 of CFC Bylaw # 2:

” BY-LAW NUMBER TWO OF THE CHESS FEDERATION OF CANADA

1. ASSEMBLY OF GOVERNORS

The Chess Federation of Canada shall be governed ( my emphasis ) by an Assembly of Governors (hereinafter called the Assembly )... “

This is further emphasized in Section 7:

” 7. POWERS OF THE ASSEMBLY OF GOVERNORS

The Assembly shall have plenary powers ( my emphasis )to exercise in the name of the Federation all powers that the Federation has accorded to it ( my emphasis ) by its Constitution and the Canada Corporations Act (Part II). “

In fact certain critical powers are reserved exclusively to the Governors -

” 8. MATTERS RESERVED EXCLUSIVELY TO THE ASSEMBLY OF GOVERNORS

Final decisions in the following matters are reserved exclusively ( my emphasis ) to the Assembly.

the formal recognition as an affiliate of any provincial association or interim provincial association in Canada,

the appointment of an honourary patron and one or more presidents emeriti from time to time,

the determination of the amount of fees for any class of membership as provided in these by-laws,

the amending in any degree of the Constitution and By-Laws of the Federation,

the election or removal of a Director(s) or Officer(s), unless otherwise provided for in the by-laws,

the changing of the titles, duties and responsibilities of the directors and officers,

the spending, transferring or otherwise disposing of a significant portion of the Federation’s assets,

the appointment or removal of an auditor or auditors. “

The CFC “ Board of Directors “

Furthermore, the Board of Directors of the CFC ( = the Executive ) is the creature of the Governors. It is elected by the Governors. Its powers come from the Governors. And it does not “ govern “ the corporation as a Board of Directors does in a regular corporation. It is more like the Assembly of Governors’ Executive Committee. See Section 9 -

” 9. DELEGATION OF POWERS

The Assembly may delegate any of its powers to the Board of Directors, or to the President or other person or persons. Where a power is delegated to the Board of Directors the Board may in turn delegate such power to the President or other member of the Board of Directors and such delegation shall be deemed to have been made by the Assembly. “

It is my understanding that the Governors have only delegated to the Board of Directors the day-to-day operations of the CFC, and not all powers. Policy decisions and major operating decisions that are urgent, where there is no time to convene ( however ) the Governors to vote, are also delegated to the Executive.. But otherwise all major decisions are to be made by the Governors wherever possible. I have not found anything, however, that clearly shows this is the policy that the Governors have followed. But this appears to be the practice of the Governors. They deal with major items by their own motions, and it seems they expect major items to be brought back to them by the Executive for decision.

So as I read it, the Governors are more like the Board of Directors of a corporation, than like mere shareholders. The CFC Board of Directors ( = Executive ) are more like an “ Executive Committee “ and do the bidding of the Governors.
However, the CFC Executive are " the Board of Directors " legally, and registered as Directors with the Ministry. Nevertheless, anyone would quickly see through that as a sham, and could easily prove that the Governors run the CFC ( or at least are supposed to ). Bylaw # 2 of the CFC makes this clear, as does the practice of the Governors/Executive.

Liability of Governors

If the Governors have these decision-making powers, and exercise them, then can they be liable for negligent exercise of these powers ( or for failure to exercise them )? They are expected by the membership to exercise their powers to the extent that any reasonable person would do. If they don't, can they be liable?
It is true that in normal corporations, the individual directors are generally protected from liability by the outer shell of the corporation. Negligent actions of the corporation may lead to liability of the corporation, but not of the individual directors. And the directors, in my opinion, run the corporation the same as the Governors run the CFC corporation. So generally, I would expect that the Governors are shielded from liability generally, as are directors generally.

But there has been a broadening of the liability of Directors in recent years, beyond simply actions of illegality. This is why some corporations have now made it a practice to have Directors’ Liability Insurance. It would be good for the CFC to be sure that they do not need such insurance for the Executive/Governors ( I understand that Les Bunning, a pro bono lawyer for CFC, has advised CFC it doesn’t need it )..

Provincial/Territorial Naming of Governors

Based on CFC membership numbers, each Province/Territory is granted a certain number of governor seats based on CFC members, and there are named Governors-at-large. Here is the Governor structure and breakdown for 2008-9:

1. Governors-at-Large :

A - Executive - 2 - President and Past President
B - Representative of Chess Foundation of Canada, and, Canadian Correspondence Chess Association - 2
C - Canadian Champion and Runner-Up - 2
D – Former CFC Presidents ( some Life Governors ) – 10 ( more than the votes of the other Governors-at-Large )

Total – 16

( Note–

a) the other Executive Officers remain representatives of their province;
b) 3 Non-Executive Officers - Rating Auditor, Masters' Representative and Women's Coordinator - are not governors;
c) in 2009-10 there was one less governor at large, since the Past President position was vacant. )

2. Provincial/Territorial Governors:

A - B.C. - 5
B - Alta. - 5
C - Sask. - 1
D - Man. - 2
E - Ont. - 17
F - Que. - 2
G - N.B. - 2
H - P.E.I. - 1
I - N.S. - 2
J - Nfld. & Lab. - 1
K - no reps from the 3 territories ( 3 vacancies )

Total - 38 ( and three vacancies )

( Note: in 2009-10 there were 40 provincial representative governors [ and Ontario had an extra one by mistake ] ).

3. Total No. of Governors - 54 ( and 3 vacancies )

( Note: 55 governors for 2009-10, and one extra by mistake )

( continued in Part II below )

Bob Armstrong
03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
The Important Role of the Governor in the CFC ( Part II )

The Ontario Situation

Ontario is unique among the provinces as to how it is set up for CFC Governor elections. In Ontario, the Ontario Chess Association has divided the province up into regions, called “ Leagues “. Again, according to CFC membership numbers, each league is allowed to nominate a certain number of CFC Governors, and one seat is reserved for the OCA president.
It is the CFC practice, that when a governor becomes the CFC President, elected at the July AGM, s/he changes from being a provincial governor, to being a Governor-at-Large. In this case, the President then gets to name a replacement governor from his province/territory , since the governor-at-large is no longer considered representing the province/territory, but is supposed to now represent all CFC members. In 2007-8, for example, Ontario sent in 20 governors names, the 17 allowed, plus three extras, since it appeared that 3 of the new executive might well come from Ontario [ note - at that time, there was the mistaken view that all CFC Executive became governors-at-large, and as well the failure to know that the President names his/her replacement, not the provincial/territorial affiliate ].
Sure enough, 3 Ontario governors that year got elected to the CFC Executive: Hal Bond – President; Stijn de Kerpel, Vice-President, and Bob Gillanders, Treasurer. So Ontario ended up with the correct number of “representative “ governors in the final result – 17.

How Many Governors

The CFC usually sends to the provinces/territories the number of governors for the coming year at the end of April. This is when they determine the number of CFC members per province, for the purpose of allotting Governors. This then allows each province/territory to hold their respective AGM’s, and have a list of governors to send in in time for the CFC AGM held in July at the time of the Canadian Open.

But Is There a “ Governor Problem ” ?

I think the governor structure the CFC currently has gives rise to 2 distinct problems.
The first is administrative. There are 54 governors for about 1400 adult members. This works out to about a governor for every 23 adult members. Where do you get these kinds of representation figures in real life organizations?? This is bureaucratic overkill. And it makes decision-making difficult when there are so many voters to communicate with and get to vote. Getting quorums becomes a problem with such a large body of deciders. Today’s business models tend to be lean and mean – smaller groups that can make decisions quickly – our system is cumbersome to say the least. Surely the system needs at least to be streamlined – perhaps the number of governors reduced.
The second problem is “ qualitative “. What type of governors do we actually have? When one looks at the Governors’ Letters, there is cause for concern, perhaps somewhat more in past years than in 2008-9. But even this year in some votes, few Governors voted, or even commented. For example, on Motion 2009-06, only 15 Governors sent in their e-mail vote – out of 54 ! This is a vote percentage of only 28 % ! There does seem to be an issue of apathy of some Governors ( many? most ? ).
And here I think the responsibility flows back to the provincial associations. After all, the CFC initially was formed as a federation of provincial organizations. There is too little blame being cast on the various provincial organizations for the lack of oversight by the Governors, since the Associations put forward the names of their respective Governors to the CFC for approval. The Provincial Organization must take responsibility to send representatives who will be interested and active as Governors. It is their responsibility. I think each Provincial/Territorial affiliate should, before the nomination of the new set of governors, do a survey of the Governors’ Letters since July of the prior year, and list each current Governor, and how many motions they voted on, how many they commented on but failed to vote on, and how many times outside of motions, they commented on anything in the GL. This way the members would know for incumbents running again, their past track record, and whether they are worthy of being re-elected.

Lastly blame must also go to the members in the Provincial Association, who have the vote on the Governors to be nominated. The members do have the power over their own Governors ( although in Ontario they have no say in the rest of the Governors nominated from other Leagues ). The members must choose people who promise to be active and vigilant stewards of the CFC affairs. And here the Provincial Associations again have fallen down - they have not generated enough awareness of the power of CFC members in this regard. They have not promoted the attendance of CFC members at the time of voting. They have failed to beat the bushes to find the kind of Governors needed, to stand for election. I am here using Ontario as my model ( I'm not sure how other provinces are set up ). Here the mandate is delegated to the number of " Leagues " in the province - the league organizes the nomination meeting, and gets out the nominees. So in Ontario, it is not so much the Provincial Association that has fallen down, as the local Leagues. If this could be corrected, and we could get active and interested Governors, then I think the current system could work.

Back to the Provincial/Territorial AGM’s

Individual members must make their voices heard on this issue. They must help seek out good Governor candidates, and volunteer themselves to serve. The members do have a certain amount of power under the current system, but I think they are not using it. We all need to start exercising the power we do have. One certain way to do that is to come out to your AGM and make your vote count.

Bob Armstrong
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I have here updated my section above on Provincial/Territorial Naming of Governors to provide the 2009-10 number of governors ( this includes a correction of some of the figures in the original article):

Provincial/Territorial Naming of Governors

Based on CFC membership numbers, each Province/Territory is granted a certain number of governor seats based on CFC members, and there are named Governors-at-large. Here is the Governor structure and breakdown for 2009-10:

1. Governors-at-Large :

A - Executive - President - 1
B - Representative of Chess Foundation of Canada, and, Canadian Correspondence Chess Association - 2
C - Canadian Champion and Runner-Up - 2
D – Former CFC Presidents ( some Life Governors ) – 12 ( more than the votes of the other Governors-at-Large )

Total – 17

( Note–

a) the Executive Officers, other than the President, remain representatives of their province;
b) 3 Non-Executive Officers - Rating Auditor, Masters' Representative and Women's Coordinator - are not governors;
c) in 2009-10 there was one less governor at large than there should have been, since the Past President Executive position, a governor at large, was vacant. )

2. Provincial/Territorial Governors:

A - B.C. - 5
B - Alta. - 5
C - Sask. - 1
D - Man. - 2
E - Ont. - 18
F - Que. - 2
G - N.B. - 2
H - P.E.I. - 1
I - N.S. - 2
J - Nfld. & Lab. - 1
K - no reps from the 3 territories ( 3 vacancies )

Total - 39 ( and three vacancies )

( Note: in 2009-10 this total was one more governor than there should have been, since Ontario had an extra one by mistake ].

3. Total No. of Governors - 56 ( and 3 vacancies )

[ Note: this is the total there should have been, had the Past President position been filled, and Ontario not had an extra governor ]